UNIVERSITAT ALABAM Flat 2-Piece Button, Union Burnsides & More University of Alabama

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UNIVERSITAT ALABAM Flat 2-Piece Button, Union Burnsides & More. Pre ACC Button!

Went back to the new site this morning and scouted 2 new fields with no luck.
So after lunch i went back into the field that i dug the burnsides in last week.

I started by making a grid in an area i dug a couple 3-ringers in last week and it was very slow at first, but near the area where i dug burnsides last week, i dug 3 more burnsides all within a 10' perimiter.
One looks very badly corroded and has what appears to be a brass ring attached to it. Wondering if this is part of the brass shell.
Also dug a fired 3 ringer, old pocketknife, brass plate with hole, and a plated spoon handle with back mark i cannot quite make out, all from the same area.

After digging the burnsides today, i found the marker i made last week about 50 feet away.
Then i created a new marker for the bullets from today.
So i followed a line i created with the markers and was following the high ridge, and then i get a choppy good signal that had a little iron sound.
I started to dig and found some iron in the hole, pulled the iron out, and the good tone was still there.
Then out pops a button. Figured it would be a Eagle button, but it turned out to be much better.

This button turned out to be the find of the day for me.
After a light field cleaning i could see ABAM. At first i was thinking pre-war, alabama militia. Decided to put it away til i got home, and the suspense was killing me.
It turned out to say UNIVERSITAT ALABAM. "UNIVERSITY of ALABAMA" Flat 2-piece button with shank.
Couldnt find in alberts book, but its in my Tices book.. Page 249 ABS280A1 Was wondering the date on this one and the rarity.
Tices book mentions Alberts SU14 Univeristy of AL button. It states SU14 is very scarce and made during the 1850's, but it doesnt say much about ABS280A1.

Any information on this button would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading

Attachments

• PC030009.JPG
    PC030009.JPG
    500.2 KB · Views: 121
  • PC030010.JPG
    PC030010.JPG
    498.3 KB · Views: 109
  • PC030011.JPG
    PC030011.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 104
  • PC030012.JPG
    PC030012.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 108
  • PC030003.JPG
    PC030003.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 108
  • PC030008.JPG
    PC030008.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 104
  • PC030007.JPG
    PC030007.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 103
  • PC030002.JPG
    PC030002.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 96
  • PC030001.JPG
    PC030001.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 101
  • PC030004.JPG
    PC030004.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 101
  • PC030005.JPG
    PC030005.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 111
  • PC030006.JPG
    PC030006.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Upvote 21

ucvrelics.com

Nov 3, 2014
Birmingham Al
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD
Nautilus DMC 2b 15 inch head
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Job, I guess I should have come down there?????, Research Research Research, This a VERY rare button and dates from one of the original button orders placed by UA (THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA ROLL TIDE WHAT A GAME. gator's didn't have a chance). This button dates from the mid 1830s to the late 1840s and is the original button pattern made for UA Corp of Cadets before they went to the ACC button.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bonepicker, a hewge Congrat's to you on the Alabama Button and the Burnside Bullets. Well Done on some very nice finds.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the new site this morning and scouted 2 new fields with no luck.
So after lunch i went back into the field that i dug the burnsides in last week.

I started by making a grid in an area i dug a couple 3-ringers in last week and it was very slow at first, but near the area where i dug burnsides last week, i dug 3 more burnsides all within a 10' perimiter.
One looks very badly corroded and has what appears to be a brass ring attached to it. Wondering if this is part of the brass shell.
Also dug a fired 3 ringer, old pocketknife, brass plate with hole, and a plated spoon handle with back mark i cannot quite make out, all from the same area.

After digging the burnsides today, i found the marker i made last week about 50 feet away.
Then i created a new marker for the bullets from today.
So i followed a line i created with the markers and was following the high ridge, and then i get a choppy good signal that had a little iron sound.
I started to dig and found some iron in the hole, pulled the iron out, and the good tone was still there.
Then out pops a button. Figured it would be a Eagle button, but it turned out to be much better.

This button turned out to be the find of the day for me.
After a light field cleaning i could see ABAM. At first i was thinking pre-war, alabama militia. Decided to put it away til i got home, and the suspense was killing me.
It turned out to say UNIVERSITAT ALABAM. "UNIVERSITY of ALABAMA" Flat 2-piece button with shank.
Couldnt find in alberts book, but its in my Tices book.. Page 249 ABS280A1 Was wondering the date on this one and the rarity.
Tices book mentions Alberts SU14 Univeristy of AL button. It states SU14 is very scarce and made during the 1850's, but it doesnt say much about ABS280A1.

Any information on this button would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading

Dude , that is one Sweet Button, , Suppose lees info may be better in your case, ucrelics,seems to have nailed down time period for you . I love that Design. & Yours is in Fragile (looking) but Great shape, I have Alberts Book but not Tice's (Due to the lack of finding uncommon buttons) . To me that button (tho I don't know how rare? it is ..Is comparable to me finding a Ga, Sc, GMI, type button & if it's as rare as 'Map on a Tree' AL buttons Well Shaqunadownow!!! lol
A Banner find IMO , Take care of that one.

Also Congratz on some more Burnsides , I have only dug multiples of them in one place & 1 or 2 at other sites

That one look's to have broken open & sat in it's powder gut's for many years, & that does look to be a piece of the Brass rim that was left over , I like the fired 3 ringer & the lead bullet or plug looking thing.

A Cool day to find & original AL School button to. This day will go down in the Sports History books & Your History Book.
Cool
Davers
Great Job, I guess I should have come down there?????, Research Research Research, This a VERY rare button and dates from one of the original button orders placed by UA (THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA ROLL TIDE WHAT A GAME. gator's didn't have a chance). This button dates from the mid 1830s to the late 1840s and is the original button pattern made for UA Corp of Cadets before they went to the ACC button.

Your So right on the SEC Championship, I'm Die Had Ga, Bulldog Fan But Have Root's In TN , FL , AL. Soooo GO SEC!
& Also Great info on the Button. the ACC type was the only I was aware of.
Bonepicker Def, picked a Great Bone today.

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow what a great button! That's such a unique and old button that I'm sure that's gonna rank right up there in your "finds of the year". Congrats a million.

John

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Richard. Been searching for more info on this button online, and so far it seems like there is alot of info on the ACC button, but im finding nothing on pre-ACC buttons.
So far ive only found what little Albert and Tices books have mentioned, and what you stated.

Its pretty awesome that this button is rare. And that it pre-dates the Alabama Corp of Cadets Buttons.
Hoping to find out more. I really would like to get the backmark on this button, but im kind of scared to attempt to clean it anymore.

I did a soak last night, and now im letting it dry. Going to attempt to view it under magnification to see if it is the possible Young & Smith BM that Tices book mentions.
Thank you for the Research and ID help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dude , that is one Sweet Button, , Suppose lees info may be better in your case, ucrelics,seems to have nailed down time period for you . I love that Design. & Yours is in Fragile (looking) but Great shape, I have Alberts Book but not Tice's (Due to the lack of finding uncommon buttons) . To me that button (tho I don't know how rare? it is ..Is comparable to me finding a Ga, Sc, GMI, type button & if it's as rare as 'Map on a Tree' AL buttons Well Shaqunadownow!!! lol
A Banner find IMO , Take care of that one.

Also Congratz on some more Burnsides , I have only dug multiples of them in one place & 1 or 2 at other sites

That one look's to have broken open & sat in it's powder gut's for many years, & that does look to be a piece of the Brass rim that was left over , I like the fired 3 ringer & the lead bullet or plug looking thing.

A Cool day to find & original AL School button to. This day will go down in the Sports History books & Your History Book.
Cool
Davers

Thanks Davers, i am really excited about it.
I bought Tices book thinking it would be the be all end all bible, but i was quick to find out that there are alot of buttons in Alberts that are not in Tices, and vice versa. So i ended up with both.

I agree that it is fragile, and at this point im scared to do anything more to it, until i find out more. Really wanting to get a BM off of it.

That one burnside is hella corroded. I was really hoping to find an intact one at this site. So far i have dug 7 here, and all were found in one particular area. 6 were dug from a 50'x50' area.
I was also thinking the brass ring was possibly part of the shell. Guess thats a little closer to finding an intact one. Cant believe how corroded that it is, guess gunpowder is hella corrosive.
The fired 3-ringer is pretty cool too. Most sites i find drops, but this site im finding some fired 3-ringers that had some rude impacts. That little tiny bullet is kinda strange too, it looks small, and like it was possibly carved.

Still hoping to find out more on the U of A button. So far im pretty excited. Cant wait to get back.

Oh, and thanks for the Vote.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bonepicker, a hewge Congrat's to you on the Alabama Button and the Burnside Bullets. Well Done on some very nice finds.
Thanks Devldog.
Wow what a great button! That's such a unique and old button that I'm sure that's gonna rank right up there in your "finds of the year". Congrats a million.

John
THanks John. Definitely one of the best finds of the year. Still hoping to find more about the rarity, but it might easily top my CSA button, and end up being the best find of the year.
Congrats on some nice stuff
Thanks Trapper.
Congrats on a nice button.
Thanks TH.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After an overnight soak in mineral oil, im starting to see enough details to make a backmark.
I can see part of the words YOUNG. SMITH.
Which more than likely means it will read per Tices book. *YOUNG. SMITH & Co.* NEW YORK

Attachments

• PC040001.JPG
    PC040001.JPG
    449.1 KB · Views: 83
  • PC040002.JPG
    PC040002.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 80
  • PC040003.JPG
    PC040003.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 78
  • PC040004.JPG
    PC040004.JPG
    501.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly looks good, and little risk calling banner on it! I suspect it will just get better the more you find out. William Leigh would be a good place to seek an answer.

William Leigh: Home

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Certainly looks good, and little risk calling banner on it! I suspect it will just get better the more you find out. William Leigh would be a good place to seek an answer.

William Leigh: Home
Thank you IP. I just sent William an email. Hopefully he can share some more information on this interesting button.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done BP.

That button is awesome. I hope more shows up for you at the spot.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very well done BP.

That button is awesome. I hope more shows up for you at the spot.
Thanks Tom. I dug it right at the edge of an area that was starting to show a lot of iron. I dug the button right before dark.
This coming weekend im planning on going back to that spot and work the iron.
Gona bump the reactivity up a bit and use the niner if i have to.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure he will, or at min. have a contact for you.
William responded saying that he has seen less than a half of a dozen of these, but he believes the button is likely 1840's, and possibly even 1830's.
Thank you for your help.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
William responded saying that he has seen less than a half of a dozen of these, but he believes the button is likely 1840's, and possibly even 1830's.
Thank you for your help.

But I assume was still in use during the CW? It's a pretty awesome button.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

That is fairly likely considering it was found at a site with so many Union Burnside Carbine bullets! Also, if another or multiple University of Alabama buttons are eventually found on the site, then I would say that that spells Civil War period.

I have no idea as to where bonepicker's new site is where the button and Burnside Carbine bullets were found but it sure would be awesome to get some history/info on any engagement there!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well here is what i have found out, and i could be wrong, but so far this is what i believe.
Tices book suggests ABS280 (Alberts SU14) was made in the 1850s.
It also suggests that the earliest old english script ACC buttons were also made in the 1850s, ABS282 (Alberts SU17)
Tice mention mentions that the old english ACC buttons have been known to be excavated from Alabama Civil War Sites.

UCVRELICS and William Leigh suggests that my button is earlier than the two above mentioned buttons.
Both Richard and William suggest that my button (Tices ABS280A1), was likely made in the 1840's, and possibly even in the late 1830's.
So that would date the button i dug last weekend as the earliest known button for the Alabama University.
So far from what i have read, and have been told, this button is pretty darn rare. Which is super Cool.

Here are some interesting facts from the Ua.edu website https://www.ua.edu/about/history
*On April 18 1831, inaugural ceremonies were held and the University opened. By May 28, 52 students had enrolled. The campus consisted of seven buildings: two faculty houses, two dormitories, the laboratory, the hotel (now Gorgas House), and the Rotunda.
*By 1851, Total University enrollment: 126
*By 1861, Total University enrollment: 154
*In 1865 Union Troops burned UA due to it being a Military School. Union troops spared only seven of the buildings on the UA campus

With those small numbers of people enrolled each year, i have to believe that the button was/is pretty rare.

Its hard to say if the button was lost during the civil war, or much earlier. I dont want to give alot of info on my site, but there was some pre-war industry in the area the button was dug.
I believe im also hunting on or near a small union army campsite, and i believe the industry that was at my site pre/during the civil war is the reason the union soldiers went there.
Perhaps i will never know for sure when or how the button was lost. Hopefully with more research i may have a better idea.
It is possible that the button could have been in use during the war, especially late war when the south had limited resources, but the button was the earliest issue known, and there were a couple buttons issued after this one came out .

Thank you for taking an interest in my button. Any time i hear you say something i dug is pretty awesome, i know i have found something good.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions