1854 half dime - seated liberty

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,
This is the second half dime this year, but from another place as first. This one is in better shape and is soaking in water and soap. Hope to see the whole picture soon. Will send the result photo to this forum when the slow soak has completed. Do not see a mint mark yet.

Found at a home place that i have been hunting for 6 weeks. Got some Civil war things there and later things and not many coins. I was expecting a silver one eventually and here it is. Oddly, it took me 20 trips hunting this place to get this coin and it was the same for the first one. Twenty trips there may be overboard, but good places to hunt are not numerous around here. Thanks for viewing this. More to come. I am hoping. IMAG1635.jpg AT pro signal was 92 on the HD, but a nasty nail came out of the hole first. Took a minute to find the tiny coin.

I am adding two photos after some hesitant cleaning. It did improve, but not enough. IMAG1664.jpg IMAG1666.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 26

Fyrguy86

Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab GPX5000, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Luv those half dimes! Congrats

OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I went back for hunt 21 and 22 after 7 inches of rain. The entire area is covered by winter wheat sprouted seedlings. 😕

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find, Congrats!!
I found a capped bust dime earlier this year, those dimes are small.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The HD does look much better , I was worried about that "Rust" Spot but like bonepicker said the Foil & Baking Soda might just do the trick, I got a wild hair one day & tried it on some bought black spotted coins & it worked pretty darn good .

Buckleboy has a Great write up on the Technique on the Cleaning & Preservation Site. Lemon juice would be an Easy Try , -Via Crusader , & My Coin guy says "Sudsy Ammonia" = Exact Name of Product. I have seen it at some Grocery stores .
I'm been to lazy to try it as I might find something to Worry About. LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are links to your two possibilities, the O mint is a low mintage and the value is about 25 bucks more. Distilled water would draw some of the minerals away. A quick 10 second zap of electrolysis would knock off a tremendous amount of crud. I, if I find something like your half dime, prefer to lick my coins and blot them on my shirt. Lol, nice find I know your excitement.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...873-pscid-27/1854-arrows-h10c-ms-coinid-14358

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...3-pscid-27/1854-o-arrows-h10c-ms-coinid-14359

I always love your 'Links' & "Blot" is the Key word here ,especially in sandy soil.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! And still some good detail there. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread