Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a freaken "Piece of 8" yesterday :headbang:

Now for the story. Due to family and friend obligations, it had been 4 weeks since I was able to get out. It was killing me, but I was stopping by tnet from time-to-time to get my fix and tie me over. I was finally able to get a few hours yesterday morning to get out and hunt. We got a ton of rain, so sifting was not an option. Instead I charged up my T2 batteries and put on the 5" coil with the plan to see if I could snipe something in the iron, in the wet ground, that the 9" coil on the Deus couldn't get. I also wanted to try my new 405lb magnet, that is twice as strong as the 250lb one I've been using.

This is the area I've been sifting and its been gone over for 100's of hours, with many machines, with many coils. Everything left is masked which is why I sift. I dug a few nails with the T2 and got a crappy iron signal, popped the plug and there was a KG copper. I noticed some glass in the plug and since it was only feet from where my last sifting section ended, I decided to open up a section. I switched over to the Deus. Since it was too wet to sift, I basically did all the same things I would normally do, with the exception of sifting the dirt back in. After removing the sod and breaking up the dirt, I started using my machine and magnet to remove the iron. I got a nice signal and expected a button, but was surprised when I saw the 5 of a shield nickel... I couldn't believe the condition of it. A couple minutes later, after removing more dirt, I got a slamming signal in the bottom of the clay and popped out another copper with a piece of pottery. My day was made!

I had a bit more time, so I expanded the section a couple feet over. After breaking up the dirt I had a booming 92 on the Deus. That's a high number and the signal was so loud I was nearly certain it would be a piece of flat iron or tin. I'm used to that type of signal when sifting, and its always a piece of iron. I kicked the pile of loose dirt to see if the signal stayed as incredible as it was... it disappeared and I was left with iron grunts from all the nails. So I was certain it was a piece of flat iron. A couple minutes later I heard it again, in a small clod I kicked off the pile that had rolled to the side wall. So now I was excited.

I locate the tiny clod making the signal, flip it over and see a piece of cut Spanish... not just any piece, but a THICK piece.

Dug photos.jpg

I enjoyed this clod of dirt for about 5 minutes. Taking pictures with a couple cameras and texting a few friends. It's one of the best feelings ever and I was all smiles. I finally grabbed a bottle of water, soaked the clod and popped it out.

It was a 45 degree slice of an 8 reales, or 1/8th of an 8, or "a piece of 8"... with the value of 1 real.

IMG_20161204_121920030.jpg

I have an 8 reales at home (bought) and lined the slice on it to photograph where this piece came from on the coin.

IMG_20161204_122215922.jpg

I cut and rotated the image of my slice to show how the complete coin would have been sliced up into 8 pieces.

IMG_20161204_122215922 - Copy.jpg

What a great hunt to end a month long period of obligations and chores! A piece of an 8 reales wasnt even on my radar... so far fetched for me that I never even wished I'd dig one. What a great surprise!

The group shot included some buttons, one is a nice etched tombac, some glass and a young buck antler. Another interesting piece is a broken lead comb that is very thick. Nothing great in terms of iron turned up, but I did get a few nice hammered nails, none of which I have tumbled yet.

IMG_20161204_121351688.jpg

IMG_20161204_121312017.jpg

This is a little "modern" for this site, but the condition of this nickel was incredible. It came out of the dirt looking just like this. A light dry brush and a little skin oil is all I did. It looks like its 1868. But for a while I thought it was 1881, which is a key date, but the junk after the last 8, that looks like a 1, is not part of the date!

IMG_20161204_123206349.jpg

The KG is crusty and holed, but it looks like a KG2 based on the left facing silhouette I think I see on the front. I hate electrolysis on coppers, but there appears to be a scale on this one and it might actually be in okay condition under all that verdigris. I'm torn on trying to clean it anymore, but I may get bored and see if light electrolysis will break off that scale for me.

IMG_20161204_121756204.jpg

The other copper is thicker and smooth. I cant really see any identifying marks on it.

IMG_20161204_121807781.jpg

The etched tombac is identical to another I found here in the past. It still need some more cleaning to remove the verdigris.

IMG_20161204_121844998.jpg

The buckle fragment matched another broken piece from a previous hunt. I have over a dozen broken shoe buckles from this spot and I have started to find matching pieces to the breaks. Hopefully at some point I will complete a couple of the broken frames.

IMG_20161204_125607474.jpg

The 4 coins before cleaning.

IMG_20161203_115959.jpg

And the bowl of iron and glass.

IMG_20161204_105948.jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 47
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait, I go away for the weekend and miss this!? A beauty hunt over all, and with that lovely pie piece you've dug something probably fewer than 1 in 10,000 folks in this activity will...heck, probably even rarer. And I can't think of someone more deserving. You put your heart into this hobby and give nothing but good stuff to this community. So way to go, man!

Now I'm going to spend some time drooling over the image of the edge of that piece of 8 to try to distract myself from the growing awareness of how superficially (read: lazily) I have hunted some special sites. :laughing7:

Thanks a ton Ken! The edge is my favorite part... I had a permanent smile plastered on my face the rest of the day... and drool was probably streaming from it, so I'm pretty sure I drooled all over it already :laughing7: I really appreciate the kind compliments.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great day-a KGII, shield nickel, large copper AND a cut eight reales. Plus the other relics; your site just keps on giving and giving! How did the 405 pound magnet do? Was there big difference between it and the 250?

Oh and welcome to the club! You can check that one off your bucket list. Here's the cut eight reales I dug earlier this year about five minutes from my house.
View attachment 1388336 View attachment 1388337

Thanks a ton Glenn! The 405lb magnet was a beast. I'm still a little scared of it and am very aware where I'm pointing it around my equipment. It was able to pull nails through a couple inches of loose dirt. The 250lb one would have to be much closer, but the 405lb one really pulled them out of there. I cant say there is a "big" difference between the 250 and 405, but its noticeable and I really like it. I'm not sure exactly how magnet fields dissipate, but I would guess is exponential and not linear... so the 405 is not ~twice as good as the 250... but its definitely better.

It really was a great day man. I had a ton of fun... I ALWAYS dig a button at this place but now its rare to see a coin... but 4 coins in one hunt last happened in Dec of 2016. I had no clue a "4 coin day" still existed at this site. But I guess if you remove just the right amount of nails, those days still exist. :laughing7: Your cut 8 is awesome and its cool you got the date. Of my 7 pieces of Spanish silver, 3 have been cut, and this piece of 8 is the fist of my cut silvers without a date. Guess I had a ~12% chance of getting the slice with the date on it this time. ha

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet piece, that is so cool!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds once again! i need to get on the board with a Spanish soon!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided on a less invasive method first on this KG... and one that I've never done before. Cold Perodixe soak, and its working awesome. I've done a lot of boiling peroxide, but this is the first time trying it cold... the reaction is much slower and it seems to be way more gentle. I'll soak it for a couple more days, but it looks like its in pretty good condition under there.

e.gif

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Brad. That nickel is really sweet!

The cut silver is just spectacular... all edge lettered too... WOW.

Very very well played sir!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I decided on a less invasive method first on this KG... and one that I've never done before. Cold Perodixe soak, and its working awesome. I've done a lot of boiling peroxide, but this is the first time trying it cold... the reaction is much slower and it seems to be way more gentle. I'll soak it for a couple more days, but it looks like its in pretty good condition under there.

View attachment 1388492

Call it the Abe treatment method. I've been having a lot of luck with the method, although it does require patience...

Is that holed?

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call it the Abe treatment method. I've been having a lot of luck with the method, although it does require patience...

Is that holed?

Yup, its holed! My second holed coin ever and I got both of them in the last couple months.

It is the Abe method! He was holding out on us... I used to do boiling peroxide, but started to prefer leaving them dirty. This crusty one wasnt even nice to look at, so I wanted to try something. I just checked on it again and its even better than before. This thing may end up being my nicest KG2 yet. In a couple days when its done I'll post the final results.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet piece, that is so cool!

Thanks man! You've been killing it lately with Spanish silver :icon_thumright:

Awesome finds once again! i need to get on the board with a Spanish soon!

Thanks man... I hope you do as well. I've dug 3 pieces of silver this year. A rosie, a pistareen and this piece of 8. ha Silver isn't so common on the older sites. Hope you get a piece soon.

thanks for posting thats bad to the bone

Thanks islamoradamark.

Thanks Dave.

Congrats Brad. That nickel is really sweet!

The cut silver is just spectacular... all edge lettered too... WOW.

Very very well played sir!

Thanks a ton Tom. The edge of the 8 sure is awesome and that nickel couldn't be better. With those dates so small, its probably uncommon to find one you can actually read.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad - here are the only 2 cut pieces I have from an 8 reale. One is a 90-deg wedge and the other is a 30. They represent only about 1% of my total colonial silver finds, so like I was saying, they're very hard to come by even down this way.

pieces of eight1.jpg

pieces of eight2.jpg

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad - here are the only 2 cut pieces I have from an 8 reale. One is a 90-deg wedge and the other is a 30. They represent only about 1% of my total colonial silver finds, so like I was saying, they're very hard to come by even down this way.

View attachment 1388506

View attachment 1388507

Incredible man! The scalloped edge is the earlier Pillars and Globe style too... before the Carolus bust style. That pillars and globe is my favorite design of them all and something I hope to dig one day in any denomination.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1388492

I really like the way you set up the before and after pics to cycle back-and-forth-it really does show the change in the coin from the cleaning. Looks like that method is working very well.

Have you (or anyone else reading this) ever tried the cold peroxide method on pewter? I have a couple of pewter buttons that I would like to clean beyond warm soap and water but I am really hesitant to go there since these are Rev War regimental buttons (71st Regiment). The detail was lightly etched on the buttons and is very hard to see without magnification as is, and I believe a good cleaning would improve the visibility of the detail. BUT I don't want to risk damaging the buttons and I know that dug pewter is fragile.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like the way you set up the before and after pics to cycle back-and-forth-it really does show the change in the coin from the cleaning. Looks like that method is working very well.

Have you (or anyone else reading this) ever tried the cold peroxide method on pewter? I have a couple of pewter buttons that I would like to clean beyond warm soap and water but I am really hesitant to go there since these are Rev War regimental buttons (71st Regiment). The detail was lightly etched on the buttons and is very hard to see without magnification as is, and I believe a good cleaning would improve the visibility of the detail. BUT I don't want to risk damaging the buttons and I know that dug pewter is fragile.

Thanks man... I used this website Animated GIF Maker. Just uploaded the two images, messed with the timing delays to make the gif toggle nicely and you just save it. Pretty cool. It only took a couple min, so when its done in the peroxide maybe I'll do one with before, half way and complete photos.

Cant say anything about peroxide on pewters. I've used Aluminum Jelly, neutralize with soap, and soak\seal in watered Elmers. I've done that on 1812 pewters... but I'd be pretty cautious about messing with a rev war one. IP might be able to answer that question for you though.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The KG2 is actually cleaning up nice. Its been in cold peroxide for 20 hours now and I got a date... It looks like its 1736.

e.gif

The obverse is a mess still, but I am very impressed at the verdigris that came off.

IMG_20161205_144442095.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the killer hunt! :notworthy:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 24 hours in cold peroxide I am very pleased with the results on the KG. This crusty thing was IDable, but not something I would really enjoy. Now its one of my better condition KGs and I cant believe there was somewhat of a nice coin under all that verdigris. I stopped the peroxide because the obverse was pitted on Georges head, so I decided to stop and leave it at it is.

KG Final Small.gif

Final.jpg

Thank you Abe for telling me about this method. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread