Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a freaken "Piece of 8" yesterday :headbang:

Now for the story. Due to family and friend obligations, it had been 4 weeks since I was able to get out. It was killing me, but I was stopping by tnet from time-to-time to get my fix and tie me over. I was finally able to get a few hours yesterday morning to get out and hunt. We got a ton of rain, so sifting was not an option. Instead I charged up my T2 batteries and put on the 5" coil with the plan to see if I could snipe something in the iron, in the wet ground, that the 9" coil on the Deus couldn't get. I also wanted to try my new 405lb magnet, that is twice as strong as the 250lb one I've been using.

This is the area I've been sifting and its been gone over for 100's of hours, with many machines, with many coils. Everything left is masked which is why I sift. I dug a few nails with the T2 and got a crappy iron signal, popped the plug and there was a KG copper. I noticed some glass in the plug and since it was only feet from where my last sifting section ended, I decided to open up a section. I switched over to the Deus. Since it was too wet to sift, I basically did all the same things I would normally do, with the exception of sifting the dirt back in. After removing the sod and breaking up the dirt, I started using my machine and magnet to remove the iron. I got a nice signal and expected a button, but was surprised when I saw the 5 of a shield nickel... I couldn't believe the condition of it. A couple minutes later, after removing more dirt, I got a slamming signal in the bottom of the clay and popped out another copper with a piece of pottery. My day was made!

I had a bit more time, so I expanded the section a couple feet over. After breaking up the dirt I had a booming 92 on the Deus. That's a high number and the signal was so loud I was nearly certain it would be a piece of flat iron or tin. I'm used to that type of signal when sifting, and its always a piece of iron. I kicked the pile of loose dirt to see if the signal stayed as incredible as it was... it disappeared and I was left with iron grunts from all the nails. So I was certain it was a piece of flat iron. A couple minutes later I heard it again, in a small clod I kicked off the pile that had rolled to the side wall. So now I was excited.

I locate the tiny clod making the signal, flip it over and see a piece of cut Spanish... not just any piece, but a THICK piece.

Dug photos.jpg

I enjoyed this clod of dirt for about 5 minutes. Taking pictures with a couple cameras and texting a few friends. It's one of the best feelings ever and I was all smiles. I finally grabbed a bottle of water, soaked the clod and popped it out.

It was a 45 degree slice of an 8 reales, or 1/8th of an 8, or "a piece of 8"... with the value of 1 real.

IMG_20161204_121920030.jpg

I have an 8 reales at home (bought) and lined the slice on it to photograph where this piece came from on the coin.

IMG_20161204_122215922.jpg

I cut and rotated the image of my slice to show how the complete coin would have been sliced up into 8 pieces.

IMG_20161204_122215922 - Copy.jpg

What a great hunt to end a month long period of obligations and chores! A piece of an 8 reales wasnt even on my radar... so far fetched for me that I never even wished I'd dig one. What a great surprise!

The group shot included some buttons, one is a nice etched tombac, some glass and a young buck antler. Another interesting piece is a broken lead comb that is very thick. Nothing great in terms of iron turned up, but I did get a few nice hammered nails, none of which I have tumbled yet.

IMG_20161204_121351688.jpg

IMG_20161204_121312017.jpg

This is a little "modern" for this site, but the condition of this nickel was incredible. It came out of the dirt looking just like this. A light dry brush and a little skin oil is all I did. It looks like its 1868. But for a while I thought it was 1881, which is a key date, but the junk after the last 8, that looks like a 1, is not part of the date!

IMG_20161204_123206349.jpg

The KG is crusty and holed, but it looks like a KG2 based on the left facing silhouette I think I see on the front. I hate electrolysis on coppers, but there appears to be a scale on this one and it might actually be in okay condition under all that verdigris. I'm torn on trying to clean it anymore, but I may get bored and see if light electrolysis will break off that scale for me.

IMG_20161204_121756204.jpg

The other copper is thicker and smooth. I cant really see any identifying marks on it.

IMG_20161204_121807781.jpg

The etched tombac is identical to another I found here in the past. It still need some more cleaning to remove the verdigris.

IMG_20161204_121844998.jpg

The buckle fragment matched another broken piece from a previous hunt. I have over a dozen broken shoe buckles from this spot and I have started to find matching pieces to the breaks. Hopefully at some point I will complete a couple of the broken frames.

IMG_20161204_125607474.jpg

The 4 coins before cleaning.

IMG_20161203_115959.jpg

And the bowl of iron and glass.

IMG_20161204_105948.jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 47

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Brad, it's great to have a site that that keeps giving like that one. The cut "piece of 8" is a cool find, as is any piece of cut Spanish silver. Like Bill D says, they are hard to come by down his way, and most other places as well. But of the 18 cut pieces I have found, 7 of them are from 8 reales, and they account for almost 11% of the 65 Spanish I've found. I can't prove it, but I believe 8 reales were cut to pay soldiers during the French & Indian War. The ones I found came from four different sites, but each of those sites had a British encampment during the F & I War, then later occupation after the war.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the piece of 8. Man you are so way out of my league. Thanks for being here and posting all you amazing finds.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the edge of mine-same pattern as yours Brad. Alternating squares and circles.

20161205_220508.jpg

Oh and seeing Bill's cut eights inspired me to shine mine up a bit lol

PicsArt_12-05-10.02.54.jpg

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A phenomenal bunch of finds and a great write up of all of it! Thanks!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super hunt. Well done.

Thanks man!

Great hunt Brad, it's great to have a site that that keeps giving like that one. The cut "piece of 8" is a cool find, as is any piece of cut Spanish silver. Like Bill D says, they are hard to come by down his way, and most other places as well. But of the 18 cut pieces I have found, 7 of them are from 8 reales, and they account for almost 11% of the 65 Spanish I've found. I can't prove it, but I believe 8 reales were cut to pay soldiers during the French & Indian War. The ones I found came from four different sites, but each of those sites had a British encampment during the F & I War, then later occupation after the war.

Thanks man! I had to take all my coins from this site out of this sites display last night so I could consolidate them and make room for the new stuff. I took a group photo and its pretty sick. It reminds me of that site you mentioned where you dug a similar number of coins. I think I'm up to 37 coppers and 8 silvers. 4 of those coppers are state coins too.

Your ratio is high and I bet your theory about cut 8's to pay soldiers is true.

Congrats on the piece of 8. Man you are so way out of my league. Thanks for being here and posting all you amazing finds.

Thanks Loco! This hunt was all luck (and most of mine are these days. haha) Since everything's masked, I have no idea if moving a ton of dirt will uncover anything, until I do it. But I at least try to excavate areas I think have a higher probability based on iron and glass\shells.

Here's the edge of mine-same pattern as yours Brad. Alternating squares and circles.

View attachment 1388758

Oh and seeing Bill's cut eights inspired me to shine mine up a bit lol

View attachment 1388760

Awesome man... those edges are so cool.

A phenomenal bunch of finds and a great write up of all of it! Thanks!

Thank you DocBeav! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post this is why I love this site I am a treasure hunter in and out I could treasure hunt all day everyday Those are some great finds would be great for a display case Thanks for sharing great read wow!!!!!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post this is why I love this site I am a treasure hunter in and out I could treasure hunt all day everyday Those are some great finds would be great for a display case Thanks for sharing great read wow!!!!!

Thanks a ton A2coins! I try to write the types of posts I enjoy reading and sometimes they are a bit long. So thank you for the nice compliment and for reading it :occasion14:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Well deserved find Brad. You have put your time in at that site and it has clearly paid off. Congrats on a killer bucket lister.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt with a big fat piece of Spanish pie! Congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My man that is such a cool coin! I love any of these big old silvers that have a designed rim....of course I can't find one but maybe someday. Seeing all of the coins that you've pulled from there is incredible!!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 24 hours in cold peroxide I am very pleased with the results on the KG. This crusty thing was IDable, but not something I would really enjoy. Now its one of my better condition KGs and I cant believe there was somewhat of a nice coin under all that verdigris. I stopped the peroxide because the obverse was pitted on Georges head, so I decided to stop and leave it at it is.

View attachment 1388648

View attachment 1388647

Thank you Abe for telling me about this method. :occasion14:

Hey that's a secret lol

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow what a hunt reading the story I know of a place I'll be sifting come spring.
Great finds and a piece of 8 to boot.
Hh gl.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well deserved find Brad. You have put your time in at that site and it has clearly paid off. Congrats on a killer bucket lister.

Thanks a ton Evan! I had some slow sections this summer, but things seem to have picked back up. The last couple areas I've opened up have turned up some great relics and coins there.

Killer hunt with a big fat piece of Spanish pie! Congrats

Thanks flatbutton!

My man that is such a cool coin! I love any of these big old silvers that have a designed rim....of course I can't find one but maybe someday. Seeing all of the coins that you've pulled from there is incredible!!!!

Thanks buddy! I can't believe the amount of coins that came from here. I was looking at my year end photos from 2015 and I thought then that I had found all the coins there was to find here... and now I have twice as much just in this year :laughing7: I'm so used to good tones turning into buttons or rings of iron... I was blown away to see that fat piece of silver stuck in a clod. Wish I could have annoyed you with the pictures that morning. haha

Wow what a hunt reading the story I know of a place I'll be sifting come spring.
Great finds and a piece of 8 to boot.
Hh gl.

Thanks Charlie! I really appreciate it man. Unmasking targets and sifting is a ton of fun.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a killer cut 8 reale Brad, I've been in the same boat living vicariously through everyone else's posts. That's one heck of a way to round out 2016

Thanks Jon! It's tough when we get grounded for a while but seeing everyone else's finds on here sure makes it more bearable. Hope you guys can get out some before the new year.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Jon! It's tough when we get grounded for a while but seeing everyone else's finds on here sure makes it more bearable. Hope you guys can get out some before the new year.

For sure, just got back from an overseas mission so you can bet I'll be back in the mud this weekend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread