Old military camp site finds, buttons, insignia, FOB, and AZ tax token.

rodo717

Greenie
Mar 6, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to hunt an area that used to be a military camp. The area was recently turned into a park. There was about a 20 yard area that seemed untouched. Untouched or not, it is the area where I found the following items. image.jpg

I found 10 buttons, not all pictured, a FOB, and military insignia, with other items. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A first for me was finding a button with the following on the back; "BADGER MFG CO RACINE WIS". Also of interest was the FOB. Curiously it states, "STATE OF ARIZONA", but the seal is from when Arizona was a territory. One more thing, this is for the military historians out there. Any idea about the insignia that has the letters/numbers R S 23? With your help , I would very much like to be able to learn anything about it.

Thank you.

Upvote 9

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. I'd go back for sure! [emoji106]

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice hunt. Great finds!

HH RN

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice selection of finds. I really like the fob!

Well played sir.

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
The wreath is an old military hat insignia. It could be civil war or just after. They were also used by security guards and police. I found some on the internet. The GAR veterans hat insignia also uses the same wreath.

But check out this link about 20% down the page. Dave Taylor's antiques has a good discription: Civil War Antiques (Dave Taylor's) May 2016 Webcatalog #1

Also here is another link with pics: Insignia

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I believe the RS 23 stands for Rifle Sharpshooter 23rd Regiment ok. Nice find. It may be Civil War. Not sure. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
R

rodo717

Greenie
Mar 6, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for giving me a starting point!

OP
OP
R

rodo717

Greenie
Mar 6, 2015
Arizona
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wreath is an old military hat insignia. It could be civil war or just after. They were also used by security guards and police. I found some on the internet. The GAR veterans hat insignia also uses the same wreath.

But check out this link about 20% down the page. Dave Taylor's antiques has a good discription: Civil War Antiques (Dave Taylor's) May 2016 Webcatalog #1

Also here is another link with pics: Insignia

Thank you for the information!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread