Roanoke Virginia Indian Artifact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronjon12

Dec 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in a gravel bed in a creek in the vicinity of Roanoke VA over the Thanksgiving holiday. I can't imagine this shape coming naturally or through erosion of a stone like this without the erosive force also polishing it somewhat. Any ideas on whether or not this is an indian artifact and if so what kind?

IMG_3807.JPG IMG_3808.JPG IMG_3809.JPG IMG_3810.JPG

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you guys were smarter . Your all wrong. If you guys are so sure of yourselves let take a gamble. Let's all meet at the S.I. in Washington. If I'm wrong I will pay your way. If I'm right you pay mine and the op. Way. Let's see who is right I will put you guys to shame. Then we can get to the truth. I can't wait for you guys to eat crow.tell me when and I will be there. Put your money where your mouth is. And tell Charles to come too

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Well, I'm far from smart, but I'll take you up on the offer.
Lets get this straight, you will pay my fair?

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you meant the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History (https://naturalhistory.si.edu/) and not the Smithsonian Museum of American History (Home | National Museum of American History) They're both right next to each other on The Mall in Washington DC. Those are two of my favorite museums to visit.
I know where I need to go. This is American History weither you or the others think so, but we can go to both. Yes it's a playground for the big and small ones

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm far from smart, but I'll take you up on the offer.
Lets get this straight, you will pay my fair?
Yes if you can prove I'm wrong. You pay mine if I'm right. Deal!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know where I need to go. This is American History weither you or the others think so, but we can go to both. Yes it's a playground for the big and small ones

Oh, I was just making sure. I live about an hour from both museums as they're directly next to each other on the Mall in Washington DC. I've been dozens of times to each... all of the Smithsonian's are incredible museums.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, I have repeatedly told you I have no interest in geofacts at all. I perfer to collect artifacts.

November 9, 2016 A New Future

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader ,if you will pm me to make some arrangements.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm very serious now. But when I first wake up in the morning. My mouth is dry from all my snoring.
I sip my coffee to get myself going. I turn on my phone to see what's showing. I look on Treasure Net to start my morning. I see who's mad at me today. To see if it is about what I say. They don't like the fact that I'm right. Because it seem like it's always a fight. I will prove myself to be true. Then finally the truth for all of you.

How is that for funny?

You wrote a sonnet Bob! Well almost. Here's a poem by Robert Frost....

"Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
'Stay where you are until our backs are turned!'
We wear our fingers rough with handling them...."

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to prove me wrong. They will do the proving for us. That way is fair.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't have to prove me wrong. They will do the proving for us. That way is fair.

OK PMing now

A quicker and more cost effective way would be to have Bob pick out the contact he wishes to speak to here Staff Directory | National Museum of American History and email them with pictures and his explanation, while CCing Cru. Then no one has to fly anywhere. Just showing up there with a bag of rocks isn't going to get you in front of the person you wish to speak to! Actually, you probably wont make it past the metal detectors and security at the front door that check everyone's backpack and purse when you try to explain why you want to come in with a bunch of rocks.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the stone is a Native American Indian Whack-a-Doodle. Similar to a boomerang but when the person throws it and it hits something, it comes back and whacks him in his' Doodle. Theory is that it was some inhumane form of birth control. :tongue3::laughing7:

Last edited:

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Congrats. You found a rock. Feel free to stop at my house any weekend and you can pick all the artifacts you want out of my back yard. If you could neatly stack the ones you don't want in a straight line, about 3 feet high around my property I would greatly appreciate it. Thx

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quicker and more cost effective way would be to have Bob pick out the contact he wishes to speak to here Staff Directory | National Museum of American History and email them with pictures and his explanation, while CCing Cru. Then no one has to fly anywhere. Just showing up there with a bag of rocks isn't going to get you in front of the person you wish to speak to! Actually, you probably wont make it past the metal detectors and security at the front door that check everyone's backpack and purse when you try to explain why you want to come in with a bunch of rocks.
Thanks Outdoor, . I would have made an appointment with them first. Its what I had to do in Chicago. That too is a good place. I like your idea as long as the it get settled. They think they are right and I know I am. Now if it's OK with the OP.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
OK these guys are going to like this. In your first picture I would have agreed with Crusader. Then the second picture I could tell that it was worked. It was verified by the third picture. So I will start at the forth. It is the representation of the horse in that one along with another I not sure of. Now in the third picture it's showing me the snake with the fangs. The second picture shows that there is a cave with three ways to get into it two of then are trapped and the one is a vertical shaft. The way to see this better is to use mineral oil on it. It will bring out some details on it. It also tell me that it is silver being hid. You other guys wonder how I got to this conclusion. Study signs and symbols of treasure. Put some time studio gand know your subjects. The person who made this stone work had knowledge of the code. It is a straight from the Spanish type code. It not as advanced as some I've seen. This silver may have been found by now. I can't tell you anything beyond that it was once there at the time the stone was marked.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 73

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
What happened to the OP? I hope this isn't a troll.

If Cru goes to DC, let me know. I'll buy everyone lunch!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure wish I had some of what bob is smoking. Haven't hallucinated in years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread