Biggest coin spill ever!

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Towards the end of a 3 hour MD shift yesterday, I decided to head over to a wash located next to the road coming into the park. I noticed right away several pennies and a few nickels laying on top of the ground. I picked these up and noticed even more. Some were partially hidden by a small layer of sand. And my detector kept telling me others were there as well. After about 30 minutes of uncovering a 3' x 3' area, this was the final tally: 5 quarters, 13 dimes, 9 nickels, and 88 pennnies--including a 1944 wheat penny--the only old coin amongst the group. Total count: 115 coins...by far the biggest coin spill I've ever found. I searched the surrounding area hoping this was just part of a bigger cache, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

As you can see from the pic, there is a lot of discoloring to the coins so they've been sitting there quite a while. I kept wondering, what is the story about how they got there? How does someone leave this many coins behind? Were they in a rush? Running from someone?. It should be noted a lot of the pennies were the shield variety so this is not an old "drop".
The vintage religious pendant was found within the park itself.
IMG_3523[1].JPG IMG_3524[1].JPG IMG_3525[1].JPG

Upvote 11

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You said you found them in a wash near the entrance to a park. I'd suspect that the coins were washed out of the park area and down into the wash, where they came to settle in that spot.

Awesome find! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not questioning your find, other than how could that be a spill? Massive pockets?

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool spill. Congrats!!

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on all those coins! Crazy. A number of theories - a kid with a ziploc bag of change, it does happen. Without a pic. of the spot I can't say, but could the spot be somewhere where folks stood and naturally lost change? Regardless a cool find.

John

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow Wow! that is something to remember

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice haul!

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find! Would have been more fun if they'd all been gold dollars, though, huh? LOL

Still though, excellent that you tallied it up. Is that the largest currency face value spill you've found, too?

By FAR the largest face value coin spill ever found. Not even close.. HH

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on all those coins! Crazy. A number of theories - a kid with a ziploc bag of change, it does happen. Without a pic. of the spot I can't say, but could the spot be somewhere where folks stood and naturally lost change? Regardless a cool find.

John

Kid with a ziplock bag theory probably makes the most sense to me. The spot is a bit secluded so it's not a natural spot where persons would drop coins.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not questioning your find, other than how could that be a spill? Massive pockets?

All the coins were found in one spot. But I'm open to interpretations. It's plausible they could have all been rain washed to the one area. Ziplock bag theory also has credibility. HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread