Yard finds day 2

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got an hour and a half in the yard again. Finally got tired of digging so much trash and trying to figure out signals between the rebar in the concrete and underground power feed to the house using the Pro/Custom w/35 descrim so I switched to Standard/Coin and still dug some trash but it wasn't near as noisy. Did find three more pennies though but none older than the 70's. It is definitely hard trying to determine which are actual good targets vs bad on finds like these.
c7eddd599b2a3eee90a2ea9bf9eddad6.jpg

I can't tell what this thing is. It sticks to a magnet and about the size of a quarter. Probably just a washer but hopeful it will be something old which means it's cool.
e55ca8454964c7fe6482d3e06ba7f606.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 7

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you plan to use for Relics. Turn off the discrimination. All that noise is a map.
If you like coin shooting parks. Discriminate and experiment to find your comfort zone.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It was worth it, you get some coins

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to get used to pro zero and be able to determine targets by sound... but with so many random targets sounding like something good on top of the random targets that bounce around I had to cut some of it out.

While hunting around the concrete I notched out most of the rebar and thought I found something great right on the edge of the porch. Reading was around 88 and held pretty constant showing max depth. I dug and I dug and I dug some more... finally got to some soil that just looked like rust which is what I was reading. I'm going back to Pro mode just to stay at it and learn it but when it starts getting old digging trash after trash I'm gonna swap just to keep me going.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello derenalin11,

Keep at it! Run the machine in Pro-Zero mode with iron/disc about 18 +/- check signals using iron audio and sensitivity one bar from max (max if not back talking). I run my pro while relic hunting as follows:

Pro-Zero, iron/disc about 12+/- unless when working a fairly clean farm field (disc = 0), iron audio=on, sensitivity=max (if possible). After ground balancing I will shift the number either higher or lower depending on the targets I am finding and hoping to find (silver lower). When I am relic hunting: I dig everything!

I hope this is of some use,

GL & HH

Doc

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello derenalin11,

Keep at it! Run the machine in Pro-Zero mode with iron/disc about 18 +/- check signals using iron audio and sensitivity one bar from max (max if not back talking). I run my pro while relic hunting as follows:

Pro-Zero, iron/disc about 12+/- unless when working a fairly clean farm field (disc = 0), iron audio=on, sensitivity=max (if possible). After ground balancing I will shift the number either higher or lower depending on the targets I am finding and hoping to find (silver lower). When I am relic hunting: I dig everything!

I hope this is of some use,

GL & HH

Doc

After ground balancing I will shift the number either higher or lower depending on the targets I am finding and hoping to find (silver lower).

Which number are you shifting higher or lower?

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He talking about Ground Balance and after ground balancing, lowering it manually to get better results from silver. If your at a site that balances at 85. Lowering it to 70 manually will make Hi Conductors like Silver stand out more.

You got fooled by big iron as you stated above. You'll get a similar response from a aluminum can. Until you feel the desire to dig both. When you get a good high solid tone like what you had. Lift the coil higher as you swing. If the tone doesn't do a serious drop in sound as you raise the coil, it's big and probably not what your looking to dig.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious, how much depth are you getting from your AT Pro? I get 3 1/2" max(for coins). Desert soil here mostly. If it's black dirt at a park I might get an extra 1/2". HH

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That long wire was about 12" down and laying flat. It was straight and bent when i put it in the pouch. I'm digging most of this stuff past the 3" mark. I would say between 3" and 8" down. I'm using the 5x8 coil and it supposedly doesn't go as deep as the stock coil but does help in trashy areas. I'm no expert but with all the research I did before buying you should definitely get more depth than that. Watching the Garrett videos for the AT Pro helped me a lot and I've watched them every night since i started using it just because I learn a little more each time I go and understand a little more every time I watch em. I would recommend posting your settings in the Garrett section and see what educated members suggest.

I will try lowering the ground balance as mine is at 83/84 and see what else I can pick up. I'm also hoping to make it to a playground or park sometime this week and see what else I can find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread