Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Been a while since we've posted, but we did have a chance to do some back-to-back hunts this week (at last!) so we have some goodies to share with y'all. Here's a little video I made:

The first day we got out and I dug a flat button and then IMMEDIATELY Shang-o-lang dug a KILLER half real, 1782! Although I was a little jealous of such a nice coin, it felt great to strike some colonial silver before 7am!

IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0703.JPG IMG_0704e.jpg

Next thing I know, he's got more silver--this time a little piece from a silver brooch or similar item. Very thin, tiny fragment--but gives us hope for finding more of this item and being able to ID it at some point.

IMG_0707.JPG IMG_2659.JPG

Then that old silver sniffer dug another silver--a Mercury Dime. This one was a 1923 (farmer drop). When I saw this coin come up, I had memories of digging them in my childhood in Virginia, back when Mercury Dimes were everywhere :D I thought it would be nice to dig one--just one--instead of a seated or spanish for a change :D

(this new Gawgag silver was not available to have its picture made, so here's just a dug photo)

IMG_0710.JPG

Then I got an Indian Head--which was a little bit of a surprise. Crusty old thing.

IMG_0713.JPG IMG_0739e.jpg

Well, then the parade of Gawgag coins came. V nickels and Beefaloes. :D Not what we were after, but it does appear that one of the V's was modified with a leather punch :D

IMG_0735.JPG IMG_0736e.jpg

IMG_0737e.jpg IMG_0738e.jpg

IMG_0742e.jpg IMG_0743e.jpg

Then--redemption! I dug my first Mercury Dime in Louisiana. Only took 7 years of living here, and Shang had dug one last spring and another this hunt. Funny how that works--I have dug over 35 Spanish Silvers (just myself) and over 50 Seated Silvers. Heck, I've dug more Seated Half Dollars than Mercury Dimes in Louisiana. :D

At any rate, I was glad to see this in the plug-- 1917 Mercury Dime (worn slick and nasty but beautiful to me):

IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0723.JPG IMG_0724.JPG

And MINE was not shy about having its picture taken! :D

IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0751.JPG

Diggergirl (my WIFE--not my daughter lol) dug this cool prohibition era token. Here's a link to a non-dug one.

DEALERS / PRESENT THIS COIN / TO THE / H.T. COTTAM & COMPANY / NEW ORLEANS PURITAN / MALT EXTRACT / DISTRIBUTORS / AND / RECEIVE 25ยข IN CASH / NOT GOOD AFTER / AUG. 31, 1927 (TC-364494) New Orleans, Louisiana (Orleans Parish), U.S.A.

IMG_0740e.jpg IMG_0741e.jpg

And here's a link to a fascinating article about home brewing during prohibition--which is what these tokens were redeemed for (while "officially" sold for baking, bohemian hop flavored malt was really used to brew beer!)

Homebrewing During Prohibition

Cool find!

Then I got a couple little silver items, including a cufflink, and also this piece of colonial era engraved silver. Not sure what it is/was. Perhaps more of it will turn up in the future...

IMG_0748.JPG IMG_0749.JPG

Then after my video camera had run out of battery, of course I dug my best find from the day--an 1841-O half dime

IMG_2646e.jpg IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0747.JPG

And of course Shang dug another great find that didn't end up on video either! This cuff-sized early Navy Button!
Backmark is "J. MANNS EXTRA RICH"

Shang12-2e.jpg Shang12-2a.JPG

Sorry, no photos of the two Mummies we found. You'll have to watch the video to see those. :laughing7:

Happy Hunting,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 36
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. Man I would love to have a site like that to hunt. Congrats.

The area around the Lakes has some really old sites up there in IN--and of course SC low country is a dream for digging too.

Cheers,

Buck

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you all are still cleaning up over your way BB.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB..excellent hunt and great video! Loved all the silvers and coppers and the mummies...poor Fred! What setting did you use to dig him? My ATP doesn't have a turtle setting, I may have to upgrade! Congrats on a great hunt and awesome video...I don't watch too many vids but thoroughly enjoyed yours...Ddf.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB..excellent hunt and great video! Loved all the silvers and coppers and the mummies...poor Fred! What setting did you use to dig him? My ATP doesn't have a turtle setting, I may have to upgrade! Congrats on a great hunt and awesome video...I don't watch too many vids but thoroughly enjoyed yours...Ddf.

The turtle setting is a part of the new F75 upgrade :D

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Will, well worth waiting for! The Half Dime is in fantastic condition. My fave find is the silver piece. Sure, you don't know what it is but it's hand engraved and looks like colonial time frame is right. :icon_thumright:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice variety of quality finds there Buck. That half dime is in superb condition, and the prohibition token is pretty cool.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the killer hunt; love the old coins! :occasion14:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your usual great finds BB & Shayne. Doug stepped on that snake when we were down there-LOL. Good Spanish to help the silver count for 2016. I know this is your busiest month with all the Christmas performances & little time to hunt. WTG, Q.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds! That seated liberty half dime is stunning! And amazing Spanish silver real too! :treasurechest::occasion14::skullflag:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did well! An awesome variety of finds. I love the Spanish Silver and That Half Dime is a beauty! :icon_thumright:

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's amazing, congratulations and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Will, well worth waiting for! The Half Dime is in fantastic condition. My fave find is the silver piece. Sure, you don't know what it is but it's hand engraved and looks like colonial time frame is right. :icon_thumright:

I hope I can find more of the silver piece. Will be very interesting to see what it is. We just have to wait 4 years for the next plow. BUT--I'm so glad that the soil still gets turned down here. In the northern U.S. they practice no-till farming :(

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice variety of quality finds there Buck. That half dime is in superb condition, and the prohibition token is pretty cool.

Thanks so much, DnD!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread