πŸ₯‡ BANNER AWESOME button, reale, relics, coins.......

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to the hunted out colonial field. Had a really good day today. Decided to head to the back of the field and found an iron patch. Made some adjustments on the CTX and listened. Started finding buttons, an Eagle I button, a 1/2 Reale, a large cent, 2 cent, IH, a Rosie lol, some horse tack, an unidentified chunk of ornate silver, and other typical finds for an area like this.
I called my buddy on the cell phone, he was on the other side of the field. Told him to come over as I was finding some good stuff. When he gets there I show him my finds including the big dandy button. Tell him how nice it is, even has a floral pattern on the edge. He turns to me and says buddy, that's not a floral pattern, that's writing. Wait, what?
Take a look, it says INDEPENDENCE, UNITY & PROSPERITY, with 13 stars. No idea what I have here, but I hope it's a good button. Going to do some research now. Thanks for looking, Mike
(Edit) I BELIEVE THIS IS MY FIRST GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON!
IMG_4682.JPG IMG_4686.JPG IMG_4690.JPG IMG_4692.JPG IMG_4684.JPG IMG_4693.JPG IMG_4694.JPG IMG_4683.JPG IMG_4691.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 85

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so glad to see that your incredible patriotic button made banner, as I would have missed seeing such a wonderful piece of Americana. I don't have the time to check every posts and some great finds slip through the cracks. I can recall seeing your patriotic button type in the Alberts book a few years back, and here you have the real deal. Good for you and thanks to the moderator for making things right. :icon_thumright: In regards to IP's advise on donations to museums, I would urge caution as well. Donations are admirable - but have assurances of your finds in terms of long-term handling, display, etc. Awesome find.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THATS IT FROM NOW ON IM GONNA DIG LIKE A PIG IN SHEET , AND EVEN COLLECT THE WORMS . NICE FINDS MIKE>

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations

:cool: staggering abundance of lost George Ing. buttons,
more of these GWs are found monthly basis than twenty cent coins .....??? just a fact .

Great dig !

doc brown

Oct 30, 2010
central NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Max, delta 4000, Makro racer 2, Simplex +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super day - congrats on the great finds

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt and a great button! You now have a button that very few will ever find. Congrats on the Banner, well deserved!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations

:cool: staggering abundance of lost George Ing. buttons,
more of these GWs are found monthly basis than twenty cent coins .....??? just a fact .

Great dig !

Very true, and it's the general detecting rule that what can be rare, very rare, extremely rare, few known, or even unique in existence above ground... doesn't necessarily hold true, or even close in some cases, below ground. Two of the results from this are 1) We consider some finds that are quite common and not particularly valuable, like most dug Spanish silver, as a good, and to some, a great find... and the flip side is probably what is going on here.... 2) a very rare find is made possible from the greater abundance in the ground. Depending how you look at things this can get a person in trouble sometimes on the forums, because I'm way more about what the item is in general compared to how 'rare' a detecting find it is. So to me Spanish silver is fun to find, an eagle button is cool if you've never found any Civil War finds before.... but is an 8 reales, or eagle breast plate something to be over the moon about... maybe to some but not to me. Some would call that spoiled, and to some degree anyone who has been in the hobby long enough and has found enough, is a bit spoiled... but it's not really that, it's about finding something that collectors other than detecting people get excited about. Something you can't go on ebay and buy every day no matter how much money you have. Make no mistake I do enjoy the less substantial finds, and if I didn't I wouldn't have them all in display cases and show them off to anyone who wants to see and hear about them, but to me it's all about finding things with some wow factor like this GW button. The GW buttons we've come to see most often hover in the middle for me right now... a very good find, but not too exciting... that's of course unless I find one! :)

Last edited:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Late to the party, but congrats on an AWESOME BUTTON. It looks great up top as well :occasion14:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I called my buddy on the cell phone, he was on the other side of the field. Told him to come over as I was finding some good stuff. When he gets there I show him my finds including the big dandy button. Tell him how nice it is, even has a floral pattern on the edge. He turns to me and says buddy, that's not a floral pattern, that's writing. Wait, what?
Take a look, it says INDEPENDENCE, UNITY & PROSPERITY, with 13 stars. No idea what I have here, but I hope it's a good button. Going to do some research now. Thanks for looking, Mike
(Edit) I BELIEVE THIS IS MY FIRST GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON!
View attachment 1390164 View attachment 1390165 View attachment 1390166 View attachment 1390167

A huge belated CONGRATULATIONS on your banner find! I found one just like it not too long ago. They are pretty darned scarce!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!