Gold! updated with better photo finally!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
We went on the annual outing up to a friend's gold claim with the treasure club we joined recently. I got to learn how to dredge! It was soooo much fun! There were wild fires a ways away but close enough they made the sun red with the smoke in the air so I got a couple of shots of that as well. I obviously suck at taking pictures of the gold we found....any tips would be greatly appreciated. I put a couple of shots in but not happy with either one! :(

Attachments

• DSC01009.JPG
    DSC01009.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,103
  • DSC01010.JPG
    DSC01010.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,103
  • DSC01011.JPG
    DSC01011.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,089
Upvote 0

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Re: Gold!

I've always wanted to try my hand at panning/dredging. Cool sun Pic..didn't see it in "daily snapshot". Gold is always good!!

Dave

Helo

Jun 18, 2007
S.La.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Whites M6 ,Whites Eagle II,Fisher 1270, Tesoro Conq. Umax w/manual G/B ,Discovery 3300

Nice Gold finds, :) If you are using a camera that does not have a macro or focus setting, try this, put a magnifying glass on the lens and take the pic from about 5-8 inches away, you can practice on a coin to find the right distance you need to get a good focus.My old camera is an infinite focus one and I couldn't take good closeups till I tried this. and it worked real good. HH ..Rich in S.La. 8)

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Thanks LaDigger....my camera has so many settings I get lost for an hour when I open the menu! lol I will see if I can find a magnifying glass and see if things work any better! If all else fails I might have to go have mom take a picture since she knows how to work all the settings but I would rather figure out how to do it myself in case I want to do it again! lol

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Sounds like you two had fun this weekend, congats on your nugget finds, very cool!

The photo of the sun in the smoke is a really nice shot. Good job!

Thanks for sharing, good luck with those photo close ups. ;D

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

We did have fun, lots of it! I have tons to do around the house to catch up from being gone but as soon as that is done I am all over that close up issue...that was makin me nuts! yeah yeah...I know...short trip! ;)

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Nice Gold pieces ;D

Something that has worked for me is when I take pics of coins or anything like that I don't Zoom in. Do the opposite, and zoom completely out.Seems strange to zoom out when you want a close up but it works for me. Also it helps if you setting is on one of the larger pic sizes. Then when you load the pics on the computer and crop them, your image will come closer and be in focus.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

thanks Tammy! I have honey oatmeal bread baking, dishes washing, laundry washing...just finished mowing the front yard....still need to clean house and mow the back...then I am gonna try a couple of these tips...you are right, it seems weird to zoom out but it is worth a try! :D Thanks a million!

R

RUDY2003

Cool gold pieces....I've always wanted to pan for gold too....

Keep safe...

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

RUDY2003 said:
Cool gold pieces....I've always wanted to pan for gold too....

Keep safe...

You should try it! It is a blast! We were sluicing, highbanking, dredging and panning this weekend. I rather like the dredging best....okay...so I liked being in the water so I wouldn't roast! ;) All of it is fun!

Montana Jim said:
Congrats of the GOLD!!! :)

Thanks Jim! :D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Nice pics and congrats on your prospecting techniques. Looks like it payed off well. Just hope I do as well this weekend.

B

BIG61AL

Nice gold! I live in gold country and every time I pan for gold I might get a tiny microscopic flake in each pan. I've never gotten a nugget or a picker...mostly squat.

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Cynangyl said:
thanks Tammy! I have honey oatmeal bread baking, dishes washing, laundry washing...just finished mowing the front yard....still need to clean house and mow the back...then I am gonna try a couple of these tips...you are right, it seems weird to zoom out but it is worth a try! :D Thanks a million!

Holy Cow, that's why I got married and had kids ;) ;D

Your welcome, I hope the tips help.

Oh and, you can hold the camera close to your object, but just dont zoom in on it. If it looks blurry back the camera up a bit until it looks to be in focus.

T

TreasureTales

TeddyB1967 said:
Nice Gold pieces ;D

Something that has worked for me is when I take pics of coins or anything like that I don't Zoom in. Do the opposite, and zoom completely out.Seems strange to zoom out when you want a close up but it works for me. Also it helps if you setting is on one of the larger pic sizes. Then when you load the pics on the computer and crop them, your image will come closer and be in focus.

This technique works for me, too. If you can, use a tripod or some other way to steady the camera before taking the photo. Then crop the pic down until the subject fills the entire frame. Then enlarge the cropped pic.

That sun photo is very nice. Are you a member of Millenium Diggers? If so, I've thought about joining that club despite the fact that I live 450 miles away. They have such great field trips. If not the Millenium Diggers, maybe the Lakeview Gem & Mineral Club? They do a good rock show and sale each year. I guess I should move to Oregon!!! LOL :D Or maybe Nevada, there's nothing around here. :'(

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

Welcome to your new addiction. I started with a pan 13 years ago, and now dredge weekly on my 2 claims. It's amazing how much material you can process with a dredge. And to think that at one time all there was to use was a pan!

Nice gold!
Paul

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

:o :o Nice job sis! How much does that gold weigh, do you know? That fire sounds like it was pretty close, did make for a nice picture though. I'm glad you had an awesome weekend away yo deserved it!

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

stoney56 said:
Nice pics and congrats on your prospecting techniques. Looks like it payed off well. Just hope I do as well this weekend.

I hope so too Jeff! :D I can't wait to see the pictures! :D :D

Paul in Wa said:
Welcome to your new addiction. I started with a pan 13 years ago, and now dredge weekly on my 2 claims. It's amazing how much material you can process with a dredge. And to think that at one time all there was to use was a pan!

Nice gold!
Paul

Thanks Paul. Definitely a whole new world! We are loooking at getting a highbanker/dredge combo unit since so many of the areas we go to are dry but we both are so in love with dredging now! lol

BIG61AL said:
Nice gold! I live in gold country and every time I pan for gold I might get a tiny microscopic flake in each pan. I've never gotten a nugget or a picker...mostly squat.

I know that feeling...actually the area we live in we get squat but we are finding some good areas to go. :D

TeddyB1967 said:
Cynangyl said:

Holy Cow, that's why I got married and had kids ;) ;D

Your welcome, I hope the tips help.

Oh and, you can hold the camera close to your object, but just dont zoom in on it. If it looks blurry back the camera up a bit until it looks to be in focus.

lol my kids are grown now and I have one grandkid! :D Neither of them stayed home to help with this stuff even though my daughter swore she was never gonna grow up! >:( lol
I did end up making shortcake too yesterday...David came home with strawberries and I couldn't resist!

TreasureTales said:
TeddyB1967 said:
Nice Gold pieces ;D

This technique works for me, too. If you can, use a tripod or some other way to steady the camera before taking the photo. Then crop the pic down until the subject fills the entire frame. Then enlarge the cropped pic.

That sun photo is very nice. Are you a member of Millenium Diggers? If so, I've thought about joining that club despite the fact that I live 450 miles away. They have such great field trips. If not the Millenium Diggers, maybe the Lakeview Gem & Mineral Club? They do a good rock show and sale each year. I guess I should move to Oregon!!! LOL :D Or maybe Nevada, there's nothing around here. :'(

Well come on up lady! We are members of High Desert Treasure Club based in Bend. Also members of GPAA and LDMA but have not heard of the ones you mentioned.

Stormtrooper154 said:
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Gold! ;D

Amen! :D :D

COUNTRY GIRL said:
:o :o Nice job sis! How much does that gold weigh, do you know? That fire sounds like it was pretty close, did make for a nice picture though. I'm glad you had an awesome weekend away yo deserved it!

I don't know how much it weighs :( I am going to try some more pictures today...Mom called and explained how to put my macro on and I have all these tips in here to try too! :D I have been wondering what it weighs but as much stuff as we have gotten lately I don't know that asking for a scale would be safe! You know....the look! ;) lol The closest fire was several miles away and that one got put out quickly....the others just happened to have the smoke blowing toward us. It really WAS pretty huh! :D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations0.jpg