New Practice Field Looks Promising - Detector May Be A Different Story

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I went out in the heat today to check out another practice field. I've been having problems with my detectors meter going blank when I hunt in the direct sunlight. I think it is overheating the electronics in the meter. Anyway, I decided to test it out and narrow down the problem. I started in the shade just messing around and the meter worked great. Then I took it out in the field in the direct sunlight, and after about 5 minutes the meter went blank. The detector still works just fine, but the meter is blank. I can turn the detector off and then back on and the meter will work for a few minutes, and then go blank again (in the sun). To cure this problem I put my hat over the meter to keep the sun off, and it worked great. The meter didn't blank out. I managed to get in a couple of sweeps across the field finding a promising amount for the ground covered, until the top of my head started getting too hot. The head phone loop was actually burning the top of my head to the point I couldn't take it any more. Back at the house, I wrote Whites explaining the problem to find out what I need to do. I also made a custom cover for the meter to keep it cooler so it won't blank out. I've tested it in my yard and seems to work, but tomorrow in the field will be the real test. I thought you would enjoy a picture of my Redneck meter cover, and I'll start taking orders for them in the near future. I'm waiting on the patent.

Attachments

• 1st hunt.JPG
    1st hunt.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 477
  • Practice Field.jpg
    Practice Field.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 468
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 468
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol piggman! I sure am glad you invented that so your head would get it's hat back and you can hunt longer! You get back out there and get the rest of the stuff now! :D :D Too cool!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Nice digs and sorry to hear about your detector problems. I think you could have an electrical component inside that might nearing it's life or you could be overheating it with direct sunlight. It's a fact that direct sunlight can cause havoc on sensitive electrical compoants.

It looks like you solved the problem with you RN shading divice. lol

HH

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, that ought to work...I have noticed my Ace 250 screen turns different colors on the hot sunny days but so far it hasn't gone blank. I used to have a watch and a cell phone that did the same thing. I hope they can fix the problem but I don't think there's anything they can do. I think the liquid inside the screens just can't take the heat. I could be wrong though...Hope I am. I sure like to read your posts. You are very thorough. Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

foxtonames

May 21, 2007
Northwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pigman,
I really like how you "diagram" the areas you hunt and what you find in those particular areas. It gives one insight as to where to hunt in similar areas.
Not to mention it makes the post more interesting.
Foxtonames

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry about the meter problem Pman.....as soon as the patent goes through you'll be able to get a new machine ;)Good luck at the new spot and HH!!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of an old Brother Dave Garner joke about the kid who was playing with the wheelbarrow and his mother yells," Get away from that , you don't know nothing about machinery"! Seriously, nothing like good old American ingenuity. I keep my wife in stitches with all the weird fixes I come up with just around the house. The only thing I can see that your invention is lacking is duct tape. How in the world did men ever fix anything before duct tape was invented? The guy who invented it was probably like yu and I, just trying to jurry rig something around the house? Anyway, hope you get fixed. I have been cautioned to keep my detectors out of the back of the Durango on very hot days. Guess now I know the reason. Oh, and while I am at it, I froze my ACE 250 one morning last winter. I went on a hunt with stoney56 and left it in the car over night. When I hit the field it wouldn't do anything except sguawk at me every now and then until it thawed out! Works fine now though thank goodness. Monty

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Duct tape, Bondo, and Super Glue, the greatest inventions ever!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I think it has more to do with micro processors, diodes, transistors, regulators and the likes.
My Fisher GB-2 manual say keep it out of hot car trunks and hot storages areas, and it doesn’t have a display or readable meter.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
I understand about keeping it out of hot cars and trunks and the such. I understand transistors, diodes, LCD's and most electrical workings because I worked as an EE in the electronics industry for 12 years. That was about 20 years ago and things have changed since then. You would think that the meter would at least work in just plain sunlight, even if it is hot. What do they want you to do in the summer, hunt at night? I know that this is not common with all of the Whites meters and that mine has a heat sensitive componate in the meter, or the LCD it's self. I just hate to have the down time of sending it back to be repaired.

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hey PM!
You're one funny Dude; love that cover idea!
Hang in there; White's known for great service should you opt to return your detector for servicing! Have you thought about upgrading to the DFX?

GRB

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope nobody was using that cup, PM... It didn't have a napkin in the bottom, did it? :D

Glad ya got it all fixed up! Congrats on those finds!

Nana :D

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
For some strange reason, around here they don't approve of digging with shovels in well kept playing fields, go figure. If I had my choice I'd use a back hoe.

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I have the same problem with my screen so what I have done is tape a business card to make a little visor for the screen. I always have extra cards in my wallet and have tape in my hunt bag. But I do like your design.

B

BIG61AL

I'd contact the whites web site and ask a few questions to see if they have a solution.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With that cup you maybe able to get Coke Cola to sponor your hunts. lol

I have not had that problem with my DFX yet but I usually only hunt for an hour tops each time I get out...I need more time in the day. Before I saw your cup I was thinking you could use thin cardboard to make a sleeve that keeps the sun off but you could still see the readout. Same concept they use for camera lens sleeves. But the cup is much easier...

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions