New Practice Field Looks Promising - Detector May Be A Different Story
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Apr 2007
    Austin, TX
    Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
    4 times

New Practice Field Looks Promising - Detector May Be A Different Story

I went out in the heat today to check out another practice field. I've been having problems with my detectors meter going blank when I hunt in the direct sunlight. I think it is overheating the electronics in the meter. Anyway, I decided to test it out and narrow down the problem. I started in the shade just messing around and the meter worked great. Then I took it out in the field in the direct sunlight, and after about 5 minutes the meter went blank. The detector still works just fine, but the meter is blank. I can turn the detector off and then back on and the meter will work for a few minutes, and then go blank again (in the sun). To cure this problem I put my hat over the meter to keep the sun off, and it worked great. The meter didn't blank out. I managed to get in a couple of sweeps across the field finding a promising amount for the ground covered, until the top of my head started getting too hot. The head phone loop was actually burning the top of my head to the point I couldn't take it any more. Back at the house, I wrote Whites explaining the problem to find out what I need to do. I also made a custom cover for the meter to keep it cooler so it won't blank out. I've tested it in my yard and seems to work, but tomorrow in the field will be the real test. I thought you would enjoy a picture of my Redneck meter cover, and I'll start taking orders for them in the near future. I'm waiting on the patent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st hunt.JPG 
Views:	451 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	142411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Practice Field.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	142412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG 
Views:	449 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	142413  
    It's better to be thought a fool, then open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    The definition of average is the best of the worst, and the worst of the best.

us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    58 times

Re: New Practice Field Looks Promising - Detector May Be A Different Story

lol piggman! I sure am glad you invented that so your head would get it's hat back and you can hunt longer! You get back out there and get the rest of the stuff now! Too cool!

Ant
    us
    Aug 2006
    Cali
    Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
    556 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Nice digs and sorry to hear about your detector problems. I think you could have an electrical component inside that might nearing it's life or you could be overheating it with direct sunlight. It's a fact that direct sunlight can cause havoc on sensitive electrical compoants.

It looks like you solved the problem with you RN shading divice. lol

HH

us
    Oct 2006
    Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
    Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
    122 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Lol, that ought to work...I have noticed my Ace 250 screen turns different colors on the hot sunny days but so far it hasn't gone blank. I used to have a watch and a cell phone that did the same thing. I hope they can fix the problem but I don't think there's anything they can do. I think the liquid inside the screens just can't take the heat. I could be wrong though...Hope I am. I sure like to read your posts. You are very thorough. Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY
    Disclaimer: The views or opinions of this patient are not necessarily the same as those held by the owners or staff of this facility.
    He sometimes escapes his padded cell. If this patient is contacting you against your wishes please tell him to discontinue immediately.
    Signed, Dr. Ima Quack

us
    May 2007
    Northwest Oregon
    Minelab Explorer XS

Pigman,
    I really like how you "diagram" the areas you hunt and what you find in those particular areas. It gives one insight as to where to hunt in similar areas.
    Not to mention it makes the post more interesting.
    Foxtonames

us
    CS IS NEXT

Nov 2005
    PA-MD
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    926 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Sorry about the meter problem Pman.....as soon as the patent goes through you'll be able to get a new machine Good luck at the new spot and HH!!

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    134 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Reminds me of an old Brother Dave Garner joke about the kid who was playing with the wheelbarrow and his mother yells," Get away from that , you don't know nothing about machinery"! Seriously, nothing like good old American ingenuity. I keep my wife in stitches with all the weird fixes I come up with just around the house. The only thing I can see that your invention is lacking is duct tape. How in the world did men ever fix anything before duct tape was invented? The guy who invented it was probably like yu and I, just trying to jurry rig something around the house? Anyway, hope you get fixed. I have been cautioned to keep my detectors out of the back of the Durango on very hot days. Guess now I know the reason. Oh, and while I am at it, I froze my ACE 250 one morning last winter. I went on a hunt with stoney56 and left it in the car over night. When I hit the field it wouldn't do anything except sguawk at me every now and then until it thawed out! Works fine now though thank goodness. Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Apr 2007
    Austin, TX
    Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
    4 times

Duct tape, Bondo, and Super Glue, the greatest inventions ever!

Ant
    us
    Aug 2006
    Cali
    Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
    556 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I think it has more to do with micro processors, diodes, transistors, regulators and the likes.
    My Fisher GB-2 manual say keep it out of hot car trunks and hot storages areas, and it doesn’t have a display or readable meter.

us
    Apr 2007
    Austin, TX
    4 times

I understand about keeping it out of hot cars and trunks and the such. I understand transistors, diodes, LCD's and most electrical workings because I worked as an EE in the electronics industry for 12 years. That was about 20 years ago and things have changed since then. You would think that the meter would at least work in just plain sunlight, even if it is hot. What do they want you to do in the summer, hunt at night? I know that this is not common with all of the Whites meters and that mine has a heat sensitive componate in the meter, or the LCD it's self. I just hate to have the down time of sending it back to be repaired.

us
    May 2007
    Trinidad, Colorado
    3 times

Hey PM!
    You're one funny Dude; love that cover idea!
    Hang in there; White's known for great service should you opt to return your detector for servicing! Have you thought about upgrading to the DFX?

GRB

Hope nobody was using that cup, PM... It didn't have a napkin in the bottom, did it?

Glad ya got it all fixed up! Congrats on those finds!

Nana

us
    Apr 2007
    Austin, TX
    4 times

For some strange reason, around here they don't approve of digging with shovels in well kept playing fields, go figure. If I had my choice I'd use a back hoe.

us
    Nov 2005
    Athens Tennessee
    Minelab
    5 times

I have the same problem with my screen so what I have done is tape a business card to make a little visor for the screen. I always have extra cards in my wallet and have tape in my hunt bag. But I do like your design.
    The only easy day was yesterday

BIG61AL

I'd contact the whites web site and ask a few questions to see if they have a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links