ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wouldn't think a lock plate. I do believe you are right about it being silver with those hallmarks. Looks like it might have been nailed to a wood box? I just have no other ideas. Looks like a very interesting find though. Found in the states? If so probably came over with immigrants.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a custom breastplate??

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting piece. I first thought the GR was a British export mark for "Georgius Rex", but the accompanying sillouette doesn't look like the typical King George sillouette. Very interesting and I'm really looking forward to hearing what this is.

I also think it's silver, but not a lock plate... With those tack holes and the scripted initials, perhaps it was a trunk name plate for a very nice trunk, with a wealthy owner. Awesome find.

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...what Scuba and OA said...definitely silver and I also cannot put an i.d. on it...sorry...BUT..that, my friend..is a very special find...very ornate, just oozes age..and $$$...im also looking forward to hearing from someone more knowledgeable, I'm keeping an eye on this thread...congrats..ddf

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I finally got to google it some more... so this isnt an exact match, but the shape is very similar. I am very sure now that it is a trunk name plate. It looks like like an escutcheon plate for a trunk with the key hole at the top. So the lock mechanism would be mortised in the trunk, and this plate was tacked on the wood through those tack holes. The key hole was was the middle of the oval piece at the top.

33980c8bdef3d5b5f8ac8b232a8e131e.jpg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the suggestion that it might be a trunk face plate or lock plate. I'm thinking more along the lines of "Jewelry Box"
Congratulations

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, I finally got to google it some more... so this isnt an exact match, but the shape is very similar. I am very sure now that it is a trunk name plate. It looks like like an escutcheon plate for a trunk with the key hole at the top. So the lock mechanism would be mortised in the trunk, and this plate was tacked on the wood through those tack holes. The key hole was was the middle of the oval piece at the top.

View attachment 1395331

Spot on Brad

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a free account and post the find here and I bet you'll have your questions about the age, place of origin, and perhaps even the maker's name answered swiftly!

Silver Forums at 925-1000.com

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Peaches, in my first post I said it wasnt a lock plate... I guess I think of that as a side plate to a padlock. But perhaps you meant it in the context of it being on the side of a trunk, covering the keyhole to a mortised lock. Either way, it is a sick escutcheon plate and looks like one huge hunk of silver. Hopefully someone can decipher the hallmark info on it. Should be able to get a maker and a date range from those.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it went on an old box. You can narrow the search just a little because its NOT British.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find.... IMO it is silver plated and not solid silver (sorry).... you can see the silver plating clearly wearing off.... I agree it's an escutcheon plate that was on a box of some kind....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find.... IMO it is silver plated and not solid silver (sorry).... you can see the silver plating clearly wearing off.... I agree it's an escutcheon plate that was on a box of some kind....

Nope thats a typical uneven patina. Its solid silver.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were British made it would have had to have the Hallmark displayed on the front.
As its on the reverse & can't been seen on the box, I'm pretty sure the Silver-Smith was not the maker of the Box. Otherwise they would want their Makers-Mark visible.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope thats a typical uneven patina. Its solid silver.

CRUSADER... I disagree... I had my own store and bought and sold Silver and Gold in all forms for more than 20 years. The best way is just to have it tested...

Hope your right though! Its a really cool find!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Peaches, in my first post I said it wasnt a lock plate... I guess I think of that as a side plate to a padlock. But perhaps you meant it in the context of it being on the side of a trunk, covering the keyhole to a mortised lock. Either way, it is a sick escutcheon plate and looks like one huge hunk of silver. Hopefully someone can decipher the hallmark info on it. Should be able to get a maker and a date range from those.
I think the problem is that there are multiple uses for the term "lock plate". When I read the title I was expecting to see the side plate where the hammer is attached from a musket... So my mind immediately went off in that direction and I started thinking it's surely not a lockplate but possible some sort of decorative piece from a musket. Patch box escutcheon, etc. I agree it's most likely a decorative piece off a trunk or some sort of box possibly including the key hole.

Attachments

• figure1.gif
    figure1.gif
    123.1 KB · Views: 215

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the problem is that there are multiple uses for the term "lock plate". When I read the title I was expecting to see the side plate where the hammer is attached from a musket... So my mind immediately went off in that direction and I started thinking it's surely not a lockplate but possible some sort of decorative piece from a musket. Patch box escutcheon, etc. I agree it's most likely a decorative piece off a trunk or some sort of box possibly including the key hole.

I actually thought the same thing. A "lock plate" to me always is the side plate, containing the lock mechanism, on a flint lock or percussion musket\rifle. But when I clicked and saw the pictures, I knew the OP was thinking it was to a key lock, such as a padlock. But yeah, I agree, a "lock plate" is part to a firearm!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its to large to go on a firearm...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread