Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I snuck out of work, in the rain, and sleet. Man I'm crazy.

I cleared very thick bramble and thorns out with a machete and shovel. It took about two hours. What was left was new ground and about a half hour of detecting. The results were very nice.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483064165.484444.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483064222.044207.jpg

Iron sling buckle. Late 18th C to early 19th C.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483064279.324747.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483065112.247288.jpg

A blowhole was a gray surprise. This site has suddenly gotten much earlier than originally thought.

What a dandy! I love it and even my wife and her girlfriends over for drinks were impressed.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483065467.147440.jpg

The rest. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483065149.496240.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483065160.772130.jpg

So remember to always move obstructions even if it's a P.I.T.A. Sometimes you score big, sometimes not at all. I've found many killer finds under trees and briar patches.

Enjoy and good hunts

Steve

Upvote 22
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer finds Scraps!

The tombac is my favorite, but the sling buckle aint half bad either. And a shoe buckle chape.

Well done sir.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang Steve we might need to change your name to Hedge Hog. You are crazy, crazy enough to clear that area. You got it bad dude. It looks like you were rewarded for your labors though. That's one sweet Dandy. :headbang:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glen, I would love to get power equipment in there but am afraid I'd draw too much attention. It's town land so they have a "tread lightly" policy that probably doesn't include bush hogs or a Gravely. Lol

LOL Sorry-I meant a bush axe

th7H7L4WLP.jpg

Have you ever used one of these to clear brush? If they are sharp they can clear a lot of brush and briars without getting your hands in the middle of them.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the PM.

Those engine turned tombacs are much better than the hundreds of plains you normally get.

I've not seen that type of buckle referenced, & not even had one myself, so your guess would be my guess.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL Sorry-I meant a bush axe

View attachment 1396145

Have you ever used one of these to clear brush? If they are sharp they can clear a lot of brush and briars without getting your hands in the middle of them.

I like that Glenn... I might have to try that one! I typically use a razor sharp machete with double gloves on... First I put on a pair of dipped rubber gloves, then a pair of leather gloves. I've found when I grab onto the briers they easily go through a single pair of either type. So this tool might be the trick for me.

I cleared brush to get my hands on that A button a few days ago. Tomorrow I'll move tons (literal) of dirt with the hope that I unmask something cool or find some pottery. Hopefully I can landscape a few relics into my pouch! :laughing7:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a real sweet engraved tombac.
You are right as rare as winning a scratch loto.
I thought I had a couple so went through my cases, nine years worth, I have one, and the engraving is not as deep, or worn more. In any case yours is a looker, and will look great in the "good case"
BTW, these are rare even when you are on the right "old" site.

The blow holes are old, but not much to look at, although there are some of those decorated too.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer finds Scraps!

The tombac is my favorite, but the sling buckle aint half bad either. And a shoe buckle chape.

Well done sir.

Cheers and thanks for taking a look Tom.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the PM.

Those engine turned tombacs are much better than the hundreds of plains you normally get.

I've not seen that type of buckle referenced, & not even had one myself, so your guess would be my guess.

Thanks for the help Cru. It should clean up well so I'll send you a preserved example pic. I won't be personally zapping it for fear of messing it up, Brad OutdoorAdv is phenomenal.

Happy New Year

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I like that Glenn... I might have to try that one! I typically use a razor sharp machete with double gloves on... First I put on a pair of dipped rubber gloves, then a pair of leather gloves. I've found when I grab onto the briers they easily go through a single pair of either type. So this tool might be the trick for me.

I cleared brush to get my hands on that A button a few days ago. Tomorrow I'll move tons (literal) of dirt with the hope that I unmask something cool or find some pottery. Hopefully I can landscape a few relics into my pouch! :laughing7:

Im thinking a gas powered hedge trimmer?

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a real sweet engraved tombac.
You are right as rare as winning a scratch loto.
I thought I had a couple so went through my cases, nine years worth, I have one, and the engraving is not as deep, or worn more. In any case yours is a looker, and will look great in the "good case"
BTW, these are rare even when you are on the right "old" site.

The blow holes are old, but not much to look at, although there are some of those decorated too.

Thanks Rick. I dig so many plain flat buttons that I'm filling a pail. But have only a few dozen dandies, and only a handful of designs this beautiful. Stay warm pal!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread