Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...after a three hour hunt in the woods. The ground was soft enough to dig, and I had managed to find a no-date buffalo nickel, a 1909 wheat, and a 1942 mercury dime. Not bad. My car was in sight, but I decided to keep swinging. My AT-Pro suddenly rang in with a " 66" signal at about 4 inches. I was pretty sure it was going to be trash, but dug it anyhow. Out pops a large copper ( 8.9 grams, 27 mm). After some gentle cleaning at home, I'm not seeing any identifiable markings...its pretty slick. That was only my second large copper for the year, so I'm very happy. But I'm also puzzled by the "66". Other coppers I have dug in similar conditions have all been in the high "80's" . Does anyone out there have any theories? I did re-check the hole, and there was not anything else there that could have accounted for this low number. Happy New Year's and Happy Hunting to all!

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 17

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds. The 66 reading could be due to several factors. I've had luck with careful cleaning using a cold hydrogen peroxide bath on my LC to bring out better details (understanding that I'm cleaning the LC for myself to enjoy not to sell). Keep the finds coming!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the old copper and silver! :occasion14:

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a significant layer of oxided copper with possible oxidized zinc sections. The soil must have higher acidity than most soils.

I'm still new to how you all cleanup items, like this one. Keeping everything oxidized while removing tarnish sound like a safe and mild way, than use of a weak organic acid used for pots and pans.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT has done that if another target was right under or next to it that was a better conductor try thye coin once you get it a little cleaner and check your readings. I found what I thought was a gold ring it had markings like initials but rang in the high 60s turns out it was not real solid gold your detector will be pretty accurate most times mabee the metal content is lower in that one any way great find!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the suggestions and nice comments. I hope that 2017 is a banner year for everyone!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know on my T2 the 30's - 50's largies ring in at 91 maybe 90 and my earlier ( teens ) largies ring 88 solid... Jumplng 20+ sounds a bit much.. CONGRATZ....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be the way the coin was positioned in the ground. I've dug a lot of coppers with readings all over the board. That's why Crusader says don't pay attention to the numbers just dig. Congrats on some nice finds

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be the way the coin was positioned in the ground. I've dug a lot of coppers with readings all over the board. That's why Crusader says don't pay attention to the numbers just dig. Congrats on some nice finds

Nice finds, I agree, sometimes I have to go with what I hear. Numbers (sometimes) can be influenced by the speed of your swing. When I'm trying to decide on a target, I'm barely moving that coil, very slow.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Positioning and metal content affect signals greatly. I've dug poor quality counterfeit British coppers that rang in at IHC levels because the tin or pot metal content was high.

That said, you have a counterfeit KG3 right there. In the second pic I see the back of the bust and head on the left.

Cheers

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that it is out of the hole what does it ring up? that will answer the question why it rang in weird if now it rings up normal now. My guess something else was in the ground, heck maybe a 3 cent nickel was in the hole with it :) nice find either way !!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice large old coin whatever it is, likely an over 150 years old Large Cent or even a colonial copper!

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks very much for the ID Scrappy! I have a hard time seeing anything in the picture, but I'll take your word for it. I was wondering if this might be a counterfeit, given the low numbers. I double-checked once it was out of the hole, and it still rang in as a "66".

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds! Always pays to keep swinging when returning to your vehicle!
Best of luck in 2017!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeap, I was digging 00's & --'s TODAY that were deep Roman Coins, that normally ring in at anything like 40-80.
Like I've said a thousand times digging just numbers is dangerous.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had copper and silver ring up lower than expected due to their orientation in the ground, as sometimes rock being in the way. That said, counterfeit coins are as collectible as the real thing. Its all history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions