🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I had arguably one of the best hunts of the year and it happened on the last day of the year! I was back at the 1812 Artillery button site that I had discovered the trash pit at a few days ago. It so happened that the Artillery button was in the top layer of the pit along with a bunch of other buttons. As I dug some test holes I found it was loaded with pottery and a thick ash layer. So yesterday I finally had the time to properly open up a section and I had an absolute blast.

As I progress in this hobby and dig more and more stuff, it gets harder and harder for me to dig something that gives me the "goofy smile uncontrollably high" :laughing7: Yesterday I got my "fix" as I was scraping chunks of charcoal and ash out of the side wall and a rock popped out that looked like a musket flint... only it wasnt, it was a Native American Arrow Head. My first! Broken or not, it is by far one of my favorite artifacts ever. Its hard for me to wrap my head around the age and history of this point. Also, I know nothing at all about them and would love to hear what our Native American experts can tell me about this one.

Perhaps had this been my 2nd or 3rd Native American point, I could have spared a little excitement for another absolutely sick early American marked military button. This was one of the first buttons out of the pit yesterday and got me really excited right from the start.

Some other great finds turned up as well, such as a complete shoe buckle frame, thimble and some marked pipe bowls.

IMG_20170101_134111.jpg

My favorite find raises lots of questions for me. If anyone could tell me what type of stone this is, how old and maybe what tribe or style this is. I know nothing about these at all. Its also curious how it ended up in the ash layer of a trash pit that dates from the 1700's to early 1800's.

IMG_20170101_120533.jpg

I did some careful tooth picking on this one and a wet q-tip to loosen up the dirt. Another fantastic early military button for me to add to my other 1812 buttons. Its an Alberts OD26 Diplomatic Service U.S. Official Navy button. Blank backmark, 21mm. Apparently these date from 1797 to 1801 :headbang:

e.gif

IMG_20170101_112425_1.jpg

As I was collecting the shards yesterday I was noticing a fair amount of a cup that was hand painted. This morning I finally had time to reconstruct as much of it as possible. Turns out I had about 75% of it and hopefully some return trips can get me some of the missing pieces. This sort of artifact is some of my favorite. Once I'm done typing up this post, I cant wait to get this into my display.

IMG_20170101_104145.jpg

IMG_20170101_134215.jpg

This fantastic shoe buckle fame came out in a huge clod of ash and dirt. It has a perfect green patina on it with some really nice flowers at each corner. Unfortunately it is bent over even more than it should be but regardless, this is my favorite of my complete frames.

IMG_20170101_134230.jpg

When I saw this thimble in the ash it was SCREAMING silver to me. When I broke it out and rinsed it with water, it was still screaming silver.... I was excited because a silver thimble is way up there for me. Its not marked at all... not inside on the base, not on the outside. So I decided to do some light lemon juice on it to see if any of the "silver oxide" would remove and confirm my thoughts on it being silver. However, it turned a bit green with the lemon juice. So its either silver plated brass (that held up insanely well) or perhaps its a copper alloy like tombac.

IMG_20170101_134406.jpg

A couple of the pipe bowls were marked. The first one has a WM on the base stand. I'm not sure who that maker is, but based on the profile of the bowl, this could be the oldest one I've dug yet.

IMG_20170101_151146.jpg

The second one has a WG stamp on the bowl side, who's maker was most likely William Greenland, from London in 1795-1820 or William Griffiths, from Manchester in 1797-1815.

IMG_20161231_161957.jpg

This plate has a IH or HI makers mark impressed on the base. It appears to be a oval serving platter with a wavy edge on the rim.

IMG_20170101_154142.jpg

I wish I could find more to these pieces. In the few pits I've dug where this type of pottery turns up, I've never found enough to complete even a partial restoration. I am sure they would have been very nice looking pieces 200+ years ago.

IMG_20170101_154056.jpg

I always say I bring home a lot of stuff, so I finally had to weigh it this time. This is ONLY the pottery and after its been washed off. There are 15lbs of just pottery. :occasion14:

IMG_20161231_145724.jpg

I sorted it to let it dry and begin seeing what fit together. I still think I have some stuff that I can reconstruct, so I will update this thread if I am successful.

IMG_20170101_104140.jpg

... and some more shots of the group

IMG_20170101_134122.jpg IMG_20170101_134207.jpg
IMG_20170101_134148.jpg IMG_20170101_134200.jpg

Albert's info on the Navy button

IMG_20161231_160835.jpg

The thick ash layer. Anything tossed out with the ashes is embedded at every level of this pit.

IMG_20161231_083526.jpg

The iron is in electrolysis and the tumbler. Almost all the nails in this pit were rose heads with only a few being cut. I found a partial hoe blade, some horseshoes and a piece of a kettle. I'll update this post with some of the iron after it is done preservation.

Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for reading this far and best of luck in 2017 :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 37

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEGA LOOTY BOOTY :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:_____________so jealous, as I stare at the frozen white ground

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice early site you got there. Great finds. Thanks for sharing.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic day you had.it is hard to say what I like most. The reconstructed cup is one of them. Keep saving the shards from here, often times the spatial pattern of artifacts may be widespread and the few missing pieces may be several feet away. I also love your time lapse photography trick on cleaning the button, I would like to see more of this as you continue to find impressive sites. I really appreciate your zeal for the little things like an unmatched shard
. Keep up the good wok,vn.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That pit is certainly producing the kind of digs dreams are made of Brad. Nice job not over cleaning that early diplomatic navy button, that's one outstanding way to round out 2016. The pottery reconstructions turn out great as well and pulling a point...now that's just showing off :laughing7:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet button man...Love the buckle it would be worth staightening out and cleaning up a bit..

~Blaze

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
What a hunt! Amazing array of nice early finds. That navy button is excellent, did it clean up at all? Looking forward to seeing what comes out next.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the great day in the field! :notworthy: Your artifact preservation is a testimonial to your love of history. :icon_thumleft:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You're an unstoppable animal Brad. I've always wanted an arrowhead myself so I'm super stoked you found one. And the teacup is very nice.

The button is nice but it still ain't artillery;) Remember to be a giver tomorrow Brad.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a hunt! Amazing array of nice early finds. That navy button is excellent, did it clean up at all? Looking forward to seeing what comes out next.

Thanks Evan! I had the final clean pictures in the animated gif image. When I read this though, I realized I didn't put any regular pictures of it in my post. So I just updated the post with the final pictures... and I'll add it here too. It turned out awesome and I did wax it.

View attachment 1397087

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MEGA LOOTY BOOTY :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:_____________so jealous, as I stare at the frozen white ground

Thanks port ewen! I had to break through an inch or so of frozen ground yesterday, but after that it was easy digging. ha Our dirt isn't typically frozen for a few more weeks.

Nice early site you got there. Great finds. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks gheenoe78! This place was on my back burner, but has since moved up to the top!

What a fantastic day you had.it is hard to say what I like most. The reconstructed cup is one of them. Keep saving the shards from here, often times the spatial pattern of artifacts may be widespread and the few missing pieces may be several feet away. I also love your time lapse photography trick on cleaning the button, I would like to see more of this as you continue to find impressive sites. I really appreciate your zeal for the little things like an unmatched shard
. Keep up the good wok,vn.

Thanks villagenut! Those pottery reconstructions are some of the most fun to do... and you never know just what you have until you scrub everything at home and try to fit stuff together. I had a lot of fun this morning finally having time to sit down and work on the teacup. Another site I have been detecting and sifting for a couple years, I have found missing pieces and finally completed artifacts that were wide spread across the site. Its pretty crazy finding pieces to the same thing 20+ yards apart! I'll absolutely be doing the same thing here as well. In my teacup reconstruction, I actually taped the last piece on so I wouldn't glue myself into a corner... so hopefully I can find those missing pieces and finish gluing it.

I use ezgif.com/maker to create those time lapsed images. Its really easy... I just upload a few pictures and it creates a gif file that is animated and rotates through each image.

That pit is certainly producing the kind of digs dreams are made of Brad. Nice job not over cleaning that early diplomatic navy button, that's one outstanding way to round out 2016. The pottery reconstructions turn out great as well and pulling a point...now that's just showing off :laughing7:

Thanks a ton man! I've hit this site a dozen or so times in the last year and a half or so. Some hunts had a keeper, but most were a bust... If I only knew what was right under my feet then. ha I'll be picking away at this site for a while now.

Sweet button man...Love the buckle it would be worth staightening out and cleaning up a bit..

~Blaze

Thanks man! If the patina on that buckle wasnt so damn nice, I would totally try to straighten it. I just put all the stuff into an area in a display and the buckle doesn't look so bad in its mangled state.

IMG_20170101_202343.jpg

Congrats on some very nice finds

Thank you Art!

Congratualtions on the great day in the field! :notworthy: Your artifact preservation is a testimonial to your love of history. :icon_thumleft:

Thank you Professor! I really appreciate that very nice compliment. I really do enjoy cleaning and preserving everything as much as digging it up.

You're an unstoppable animal Brad. I've always wanted an arrowhead myself so I'm super stoked you found one. And the teacup is very nice.

The button is nice but it still ain't artillery;) Remember to be a giver tomorrow Brad.

Thanks man. I hope to learn more about that arrowhead. Its something I always wanted and never expected to find... it actually makes me want to walk the river bank to hunt for them. One day I'll find one of those cannon buttons! I'll give and take if necessary tomorrow.

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spear point looks like it has some sort of adhesive on the one side, i'd say it was found and glued to something a while back then tossed in the pit at some point. Not sure where it was found but if you're in the northeast i'd say the material looks like Onondaga flint from new york and maybe its a Susquehanna broad point? At least that's what it would be in my area . Late Archaic: 1,200 and 700 B.C. . As for tribe , we only know the tribes that were here when we got here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The spear point looks like it has some sort of adhesive on the one side, i'd say it was found and glued to something a while back then tossed in the pit at some point. Not sure where it was found but if you're in the northeast i'd say the material looks like Onondaga flint from new york and maybe its a Susquehanna broad point? At least that's what it would be in my area . Late Archaic: 5,000 to 3,000 BP . As for tribe , we only know the tribes that were here when we got here.

Wow, thanks a ton for that info. I just hit post in the Native American forum when I saw this. The stuff on one side is from the ash and whatever else was tossed in there... It hardens into a scale. It's on a lot of the buttons and pottery pieces too and pretty typical in a trash pit. The same scale is on some of the inside of the teacup pieces... must have something to do with their orientation and drainage in the layers that determines if the scale builds up. I didn't want to remove it and chance damaging the point. This was found in Maryland. What came from the pit section this point was in dated from the late 1700's to early 1800's. Another friend mentioned perhaps it was found as a keepsake and discarded over 200 years ago. I would imagine something like that was interesting to a person 200+ years ago, just as we are interested today. If it wasn't in the ash layer and I found it in a plug, it wouldn't be such a mystery to me. Ha

Thank you again for all that information.

-Brad

Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, when you said the new pit was a good one you weren't kidding, Brad! That button is a great find. Also a fine shoe buckle frame, thimble and pipe bowl piece.

Looks like you need to stock up on Super Glue gel with all of the pottery shards-can't wait to see what you come up with.

Regarding the projectile point my best guess is that it is a Kirk type-which would date it in a range of 7,000 to 9,000 years old. Nice find! There should be more where that one came from.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, when you said the new pit was a good one you weren't kidding, Brad! That button is a great find. Also a fine shoe buckle frame, thimble and pipe bowl piece.

Looks like you need to stock up on Super Glue gel with all of the pottery shards-can't wait to see what you come up with.

Regarding the projectile point my best guess is that it is a Kirk type-which would date it in a range of 7,000 to 9,000 years old. Nice find! There should be more where that one came from.

Thanks a ton Glenn! I think I might take a walk tomorrow and see if I can eyeball anything by the creek. This land was farmed 200 years ago, so possibly an oxen or hoe turned up this point, they hung onto it, then pitched it out in the ash bucket. My only chance today would be to look at eroded spots. Ha Finding my first Native American artifact really has me wanting to look for more now.

I defer all knowledge of these points to you guys. Wyoming Valley Relics mentioned Susquehanna Broad spear, so I looked them up on jeffpat and they're pretty similar

https://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/M...ngAids/LateArchaic/susquehannabroadspear.html

Screenshot_20170102-000651.png

It could be a Kirk point too, but it does kind of look like the Susquehanna point. I looked all over that site, but it's tough to know what you're looking for without some general direction.

https://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/M...ndingAids/EarlyArchaic/kirkcornernotched.html

Thanks again Glenn!

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's tough. So many types out there with similar variations. Sometimes you really need more pieces from the same site to nail down the type .

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great post! One of the best ones I've seen. Great finds too! Congrats Brad!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's tough. So many types out there with similar variations. Sometimes you really need more pieces from the same site to nail down the type .

Thanks again Wyoming Valley Relics! Its good to know that's the case because so many of them look so similar to me. Since I know nothing about points everything is new to me. If anything else turns up here I'll be sure to share.

What a great post! One of the best ones I've seen. Great finds too! Congrats Brad!

Thanks a ton man... I really appreciate it a lot. I had a ton of fun and hope to get access to the rest of the pit area very soon. I hardly scratched the surface and its killing me thinking about what else is down there.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your posts are always fascinating! The cross section of relics that you find are simply amazing and my hat is off to you for the effort you put into piecing the pottery puzzles back together. Great work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread