The new year begins with colonial buttons and a special find for the property owner

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New year's day here in central Virginia was sunny and 56 degrees, so I had barely finished my first cup of coffee before I was packed and headed for my favorite colonial site. I've picked over this site for the past two years, so the finds are now much more elusive. To compensate, I purchased the 5x8 coil for my AT Pro hoping that it would help me work through the iron and get some better target separation. Well, it worked! I was amazed at the difference the small coil makes. I can't cover as much ground in a single day, but the targets are popping out again almost like the first day I hunted this site. Here's a pic of the flat buttons I pulled out.

Buttons.jpg

This little guy was sleeping right next to one of the buttons, but I managed to dig it up, cover the hole, and put the leaf blanket back over him so that he could keep snoozing through the winter.

Snapshot 1 (1-2-2017 8-53 AM).png

Also pulled this very thin medallion-like find. Pretty sure its made of copper, with what appears to be a torch on the front. It may have been some sort of two piece button, or possibly a bridle rosette missing the lead back. About the size of a half dollar. Any ideas are welcome.

medallion front.jpg medallion back.jpg

My best find of the day; however, was a long lost property marker. The property owner was looking to extend his fence line around the field I normally hunt, but had no luck in finding one of the property pins. This particular area was heavily littered in scrap iron targets, but after about an hour I located the pin. The owner was ecstatic! It turns out that I saved him $450 in surveyor cost by finding that pin. Needless to say, I will continue to enjoy unfettered access to this property in the coming year!

Snapshot 2 (1-2-2017 8-54 AM).png

Happy new year to all!

Upvote 10

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see the new coil is bringing life back to the site. Maybe that old silver will show itself now too.
Finding that property marker was probably a better find then those old buttons, we'll done!

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some nice finds. It is always nice when you can help the land owner in some way.

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had numerous friends offer up a cold one for finding survey markers, it's usually fun.
And that frog looks like the type that you could lick and have an interesting drive home!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had numerous friends offer up a cold one for finding survey markers, it's usually fun.
And that frog looks like the type that you could lick and have an interesting drive home!

No designated driver available, and I would never lick and drive :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread