14k Italy marked necklace

Sutton

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I am very new to treasure hunting. I recently took a job at a car wash and in my duties I have to clean out the vacuum system. Well today I found a gold necklace. It is 24" and is stamped 14k Italy on one clasp. It weighs 26.5 grams and is not attracted to a magnet. I have read a lot on the internet about these being fake but my question is I guess can you tell by the stamp if it is fake or not? In my opinion it looks lasered instead of stamped. If anyone has had any history with these I would liven your input before I go running into a jewelry store thinking I have something nice when I don't. IMG_0840.JPG IMG_0839.JPG

Upvote 6

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don't run, just go to one and politely ask them if it is real. They will gladly tell you. Or you can walk into a pawn shop and ask them. Most gladly test things.

Since you tried a magnet, make sure it is a very powerful magnet like a hard drive magnet. Not a cheap or weak refrigerator magnet.

I have an opinion by the photo, however it would only be an opinion and might or might not be right.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Sutton - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

OP
OP
S

Sutton

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The magnet used was one a carpenter uses to pick up nails and screws from job sites. So it was really strong and the only thing that was attracted to it was the o-ring behind the lobster clasp. Thank you for the advice. I have never been into a jewelry store or pawn shop so I was unaware of how things would go. I figure they get people all day coming in just to see if something is real or not.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The magnet used was one a carpenter uses to pick up nails and screws from job sites. So it was really strong and the only thing that was attracted to it was the o-ring behind the lobster clasp. Thank you for the advice. I have never been into a jewelry store or pawn shop so I was unaware of how things would go. I figure they get people all day coming in just to see if something is real or not.

Welcome to TNet, Sutton...........
Ask your family and friends about their level of "trust" in a local jeweler and then visit him/her. Try to strike up a rapport and see if they are willing to look over your finds once every 3 or 4 months. I was able to establish a relationship with a local jeweler and he has been so helpful in identifying my unmarked silver. My last visit, I offered him a piece of jewelry I found as payment for his time and he turned me down!! There are good folks out there.............

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can almost bet that if that ring behind the clasp is steel the necklace is fake. It could have been replaced after the necklace was made and that is why it is steel. However, I wouldn't bet on it either way because there is no sure thing. Expensive jewelry has NO steel in it and 14k would be expensive.

A reputable jeweler would not have steel in any part of a piece marked 14K

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold it from the clasp so the rest hangs freely... then take a strong magnet and slowly place against the lower part and pull away...

If any movement of the chain in any way. Tis fake.

This is a test that you can do now... given you have a good magnet.

Try with any magnet as well if a strong one is not present.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard and here's hoping the necklace is legit....I dug up a similar one that was stamped 925 on the clasp Italy silver not gold.

Turns out just the clasp was silver and the rest was cheap metal.....there's some sleazy operators out there so make sure you get it check by a reputable jeweler.

The chain in somewhere in the middle of this pile if memory serves me correctly.

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• fake 925.jpg
    fake 925.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 942

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh PS...

I forgot to add... MOST jewelry claps especially yours ARE magnetic.

This is due to the spring.

OP
OP
S

Sutton

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have tried several magnetic methods now and can't get any sort of reaction out of it. I had a car subwoofer magnet laying in the garage and suspended the necklace from the ceiling from the clasp and the necklace didn't attract in any sort of way. No one has mentioned anything about the picture I posted with the "14k Italy" engraving and that is what I am concerned most about. Is it possible to laser etch 14k gold? Because my markings look too precise not to be lasered on. Thanks for all the awesome responses guys. I find treasures weekly at this job so I will have more to share in the future.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have tried several magnetic methods now and can't get any sort of reaction out of it. I had a car subwoofer magnet laying in the garage and suspended the necklace from the ceiling from the clasp and the necklace didn't attract in any sort of way. No one has mentioned anything about the picture I posted with the "14k Italy" engraving and that is what I am concerned most about. Is it possible to laser etch 14k gold? Because my markings look too precise not to be lasered on. Thanks for all the awesome responses guys. I find treasures weekly at this job so I will have more to share in the future.
Firstly '14K Italy', as a stamp or laser is the most faked mark ever!
However, because it's lasered doesn't make it fake. Even British Hall-marks at the Asseyers Office are now lasered.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a nice looking chain, sure hope it turns out to be real. Good Luck!

OP
OP
S

Sutton

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on the chain. I took it to a local jewelry store. The woman took one look at it and said it was gold plated. Oh well. Better luck next time

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on the chain. I took it to a local jewelry store. The woman took one look at it and said it was gold plated. Oh well. Better luck next time

Did she test it ?

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did she test it ?
I agree to have it carefully/thoroughly inspected. 14 karat will slightly darken over time, and a mild metal treatment cleaner should brighten it up. Second, fake alloys have numerous impurities that by hand magnifier you could see, spots a long the chain that are more discolored. Do you see imperfections in the coating? If none can be seen, the chain has a higher quality gold plating.

OP
OP
S

Sutton

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No she did not test it. She did nothing with it besides hold it in her hand and look at it with bare eyes and said it was just gold plated. I'm thinking I may buy some acids and test it myself

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No she did not test it. She did nothing with it besides hold it in her hand and look at it with bare eyes and said it was just gold plated. I'm thinking I may buy some acids and test it myself

Hrrrmmmm... that sounds weird. Period.

Did she offer any explanation as to why she had come to that conclusion ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...

Let me ask you this...

Answer the best you can judge...

When holding it... does it feel "hefty" for its size... ? ? ?

OR is it light feeling for its size ? ? ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From your picture... your chain "looks good"...

Except for one inconsistency... the "jumpring"... this is the small circular ring that connects the clasp to the chain.

MOST of the time IF it is the ORIGINAL jumpring for a chain that is REAL gold... it will not be able to be opened via the "cut" / "split" in it...

In real gold work this is ALMOST always "soldered"... aka welded shut. IE: "no line/ split visible"

SO....

With this in mind... from your picture... in which I can see the "split ring without solder"... this is the only "red flag" I can see that would have given her the idea it was fake...

OTHER THAN pure and simple weight...

Because from your pictures... it has the "look" of solid 14k... WHICH is what fakers strive to accomplish and which they do very well.

Beings this is "long distance"... heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread