🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Strange Things You Find Metal Detecting

Equipment: Minelab Excalibur II, long handled sand scoop, 3-4mm full body wetsuit, wetsuit body skin, 25lb weight belt, Diver shoes, gloves, sun hat, 50SPF sunscreen, coin and junk finds pouch, waterproof pouch for car key and another for gold/platinum/silver.

Had a rough past 8 months in Ohio - trying to sell a vacation house with MOLD in the 8" crawl space. Ended-up doing the right thing and removing all the floors (carpeting, tile, subfloor, most floor joists) to address the issue. Never worked so hard in my life rehabbing the place and this after I pledged to hire others to do such work. Just sold the place and the new owners got a great deal with all new flooring, new kitchen and bath. We're happy to move on and, in my case, to metal detecting in Florida.
Below are pics of my first 2 day finds in 2017. On day 1, I spent 4 hrs in the surf in 66 deg water with 1-2 ft waves. Had my 3-4mm wetsuit on that turned out to be to much and got hot (had to go deeper to stay cool). Got a good workout. Also found some interesting items. In addition to the usual coins (13 coins, $1.21), I found an elongated cent (Disney, A Pirate's Life), 8" blue and white candle, and a really cool Thomas Sabo watch (see pic).
The candle was detected because of a metal piece at the bottom of the candle wick. I hit the candle with my coil and quickly learned that it was mobile. After a minute of trying to retrieve the object in 4 ft of water with my scoop to no avail, I finally resorted to pinching it with my feet and, using my scoop as an anchor, I swiftly brought my feet up until I could grab the object with my free hand. A FRIGGEN CANDLE???
MD 010217.jpg
My day quickly brightened when, about an hour later, I got a strong signal and brought up a watch in 3 ft of water; my first watch metal detecting. It was partially hanging over the side of the scoop and a bright smile came over me when I noticed that it was still running and had the right time. On E-bay the Thomas Sabo watch sells for about $275. Better yet, my wife says that it looks great on me and so it hangs. Now that was a cool find...and on my first day of metal detecting in 2017!
MD 010217 Watch.jpg
On the second day of metal detecting my true love gave to me... the gulf was rough and I decide to hit my favorite little known beach. Spent 6 hrs pounding the sand and enjoyed every minute. Again, a great work-out. The secret to my slim figure - I keep moving, swinging and digging and also keep away from food and most drink (but keep well hydrated in the tropical sun) while detecting. Found 75 coins ($3.88) with many of the quarters showing green patina. Also found 2 junk rings, one being a China silver colored ring with 2 clear stones and a center pink stone. And, another useful find - a full can of sunscreen. Candle, watch, sunscreen...not the typical finds while metal detecting but very interesting items nevertheless.

MD 010317 Finds.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 14

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't think there is anything that will surprise me in the water.

Nice finds and sounds like you had fun

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds!:occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My kind of hunting, congrats on a great find, the watch. Have fun I know I would.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread