Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
COMBINATION POST: scroll down...

Brad and I got out for a hunt. The temp was about 15-20 degrees the entire day, however we were outside of the snowstorm line, so that worked out. The ground was still soft, but that's not going to last long. The entire day we had dirt freezing to everything. Our shovels were iced over, and our pinpointers were even getting frozen to our pouches.

We tried to find a concentrated pit but couldn't find enough concentration. So we did some brush removal and iron clearing instead with some good success. I'm very pleased with the buttons I dug, and a few were early. Among them was my best example of this type of pewter. I thought it could have been a USA button when first dug.

View attachment 1399716 View attachment 1399717 View attachment 1399718

Other notables was a two-piece 18th C button (a first), fur trade era blowhole button, a drawer pull plate (or another theory is a fork furrule), and a 1770's counter King George half penny.
View attachment 1399719 View attachment 1399720 View attachment 1399721 View attachment 1399722 View attachment 1399723 View attachment 1399724

Great company and great fun. It's always a blast hunting with Brad. He brings a lot to this hobby and is very knowledgeable.

Stay warm and good digs!

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 9

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Work? Hahah. And our next time out we're going to need a location that's a bit milder. Hmmmm....perhaps a mid-Atlantic state that begins with V. And with a guy with a name that begins with J. Lol.

It was a great hunt, and a good way to end the season. And that "button" I texted you a pic of? ....likely a hat pin top. ID courtesy of a member across the pond.

Cheers bud

If 9 inches of snow and zero degree temps is milder then come on down!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Tommy. That's a first for me, l but I've seen it happen to others posts.

No problem. You usually post some really nice finds, so I didn't want to miss them! Great hunt. The shank on that one little button is huge - got to be a real oldie.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, very cool finds (no pun intended) I got excited I found that exact thing, your last pic, the oblong thing with the square hole. Drawer pull? I found it in that hayfield. It must be in one of my recent threads?

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve, very cool finds (no pun intended) I got excited I found that exact thing, your last pic, the oblong thing with the square hole. Drawer pull? I found it in that hayfield. It must be in one of my recent threads?

Drawer pull escutcheon plate . Tough to date but most everything dates from mid-18th century to early 19th C. so I would say it's around that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread