Attachments

• 1936buff copy.jpg
    1936buff copy.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
Awsome pic. I am partial to the Indian head, being full blooded Mohawk I would love to dig up a coin like that. I have one that someone made an earring out of by cutting out just the head on the coin and welding a pin on it. HH.

CHRIS.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
That buff does have some good detail on it Rich, nice one!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Rich in Texas said:
Here is my Buff from Saturday. This thing was so crudded up that I soaked it in ketchup to eat some of the buildup off.
Did it taste good? :D Seriously that has a real nice high relief date on it, most remind me of my jr. high years, dateless.

OP
OP
Rich in Texas

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
It was at about 4 inches and hit a perfect 20 VDI on my MXT. The little area that I found it in has also produced the 1910 wheatie posted here, and my hunting buddy Don's 1901 V-Nickel. We think the area has been cherry picked in the past. No silver yet, but we are starting to dig deep iffy signals and just maybe we will hit some silver. We are of course digging anything that could be a nickel because most cherry pickers disc them out. It has paid off with a couple of nice old nickels so far.

Rich

D

Darod

Great find!

That one looks like it was minted, and lost in the same day!

Really nice one! Very interested in seeing what else you find in that "little area" :)

Rod

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet pic. does ketchup work ok? it dont eat the coin up? nice coin with good detail.
laters and HH
scav.

OP
OP
Rich in Texas

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Hey Wayne, I'm in San Antonio. The ketchup does work but you have to check it often to keep from taking too much off. I didn't realize that nickel was showing through the corrosion until the flash on the camera lit it up. Just looking at it with the eyes it looks like it is still completely covered with corrosion.

Rich

R

rvbvetter

Rich; Nice find! Looks like they tossed the top one off a new roll of nickels What year was the 3 legged one? Anybody? HH

B

Bill W.

Nice find. Be happy that it's year is still intacted. Most buffalo nickels I have dug have the year worn off. I'd guess it's about a 1 to 5 ratio with getting a year on a buffalo. Alot of times when I am not getting any good copper/silver signals I will start digging nickels. It's amazing the nickels that are still out there. Depends on the site what 'strategy' I use... :) HH!

-Bill

R

rvbvetter

Darn, i was hoping. Looks like my grandmother. YIKES!! Great find though. WTG!! HH

F

Floater

B E A U Tiffull. Nice find and great idea on the ketchup. Just enough acid but still mild. I guess we will have to post that to the Prarie Home Companion.LOL

OP
OP
Rich in Texas

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the comments! This was an awesome find for me with the detail left on it. It really was dropped very early in it's circulation. The ketchup does really work. I could hardly tell what kind of nickel this thing was before the ketchup treatment.

Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread