🥇 BANNER HOly Molie, found a cache of gold!!!!!

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
update: thanks for all the comments for these finds, ive been looking at them all day, this site was settled as early as 1712 so it could have been buried then or a later time, but i will not scrap, separate, or sell, in case anybody was wandering......Just went to a new field where a early 1900s house was and pulled a silver half and Rosie. Then I get a deep faint target and over a foot deep I get this silver plated case. And 4 gold rings inside! They tested at least 10k except one is 18k. Holy crap, I'm still out here in the field going at it, but had to post this. 1 has a date of 1730 and another has a date of 1732. Could they be this old? Will get more pics when I get home

Some more pics real quick, looks like the tin they were in is silver! 1 ring says nothing, 1 says g p g 22 Jan 1732 on inside, 1 says hearts united live contented on inside, and last one says George king obe 4 oct 1730

There's a marking on the tin they were in, see pic

Unt.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1100.PNG
    IMG_1100.PNG
    416.4 KB · Views: 1,818
  • IMG_1103.PNG
    IMG_1103.PNG
    502.4 KB · Views: 1,444
  • IMG_1101.PNG
    IMG_1101.PNG
    501 KB · Views: 1,223
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 1,659
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_1110.PNG
    IMG_1110.PNG
    414.6 KB · Views: 1,485
  • IMG_1109.PNG
    IMG_1109.PNG
    411.8 KB · Views: 1,487
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    728.2 KB · Views: 1,572
  • IMG_1113.PNG
    IMG_1113.PNG
    485.8 KB · Views: 1,317
  • IMG_1114.PNG
    IMG_1114.PNG
    498.1 KB · Views: 1,262
Last edited:
Upvote 206

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SamC

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2014
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably the most astonishing thing I've seen found with a metal detector. I'm not sure what's the most amazing thing about it; the ring that has the full date, the ring that has 'King George' inscribed in it or the fact that you found 4 gold rings inside a silver case. Unbelievable.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am intrigued with the box - would love to see more close pics of the inside, with the hallmark - we should be able to learn something about it ! With the engraving on top and the mark could it be sterling ? or high silver content ?

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What we all have dreamed of. Your the one who the dream came true! Awesome to hear!

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beyond fantastic find. Those are very special rings. Historically significant.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Great find. I believe it would be King George, and not only are the rings from over the pond but so is the silver container. Great find!!!!

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would have been declared treasure across the pond,8-)
hoping someone will come forth with Makers Mark ID`s
Congratulates Hit that field Hard,

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super fantastic find you made. I am so glad that your detector was at the right place and time to save this little treasure from another day below ground.The only thing that would make it better would be if it were me and my detector.Huge congrats.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the dates of 1730's, I'm thinking this cache may have been placed around the time of the Revolution . Unless the box can be dated to a later period. People going off to war certainly had motive to bury the valuables . News of hostile forces approaching would also provide the motivation to bury a cache like this .

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one of the most amazing finds I have ever seen on TreasureNet. Being from Yorktown I am totally astounded by each ring, expecially the ring marked King George. Totally outstanding!!!! This is twice I have been astounded by a discovery of yours. The NC button was a home run also!!! That should have bannered as well as it was an easy 9 K button! I want to be the first to say if you ever want to let these go please contact me first as I will give you top dollar as I am an advanced collector of Rev War memorabilia. Send me a pm or message me at [email protected]. Amazing find man........ I am truly speechless!!! Devonrex

Last edited:

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to see how the research turns out!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't come out and comment very often these days - but simply stunning!
Well done and well deserved!
Believe me, you will never forget this day!!

Respect! :notworthy:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hallmark on the box is clearly not English , but the posey ring (with King George II) would be , the other rings may also have come across the pond - this may well have been stashed by loyalists to the crown . Of course I'm speculating - but the clues make it so tempting to construct a plausible scenario !

Last edited:
OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! This is what we are all dreaming of when swinging in an area with history. Man, I would have most likely passed on a weak target so deep. These are for me always rusty nails even if they are beeping in the silver range. I would love to hear more details on what it rang up as and your decision process on digging. Congrats!!

dont know what the numbers are as i dont really look while detecting in the fields, but it was a high tone barely coming in, and i always dig a high tone

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Congrats!
Thats a heck of a way to start the year!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one of the most amazing finds I have ever seen on TreasureNet. Being from Yorktown I am totally astounded by each ring, expecially the ring marked King George. Totally outstanding!!!! This is twice I have been astounded by a discovery of yours. The NC button was a home run also!!! That should have bannered as well as it was an easy 9 K button! I want to be the first to say if you ever want to let these go please contact me first as I will give you top dollar as I am an advanced collector of Rev War memorabilia. Send me a pm or message me at [email protected]. Amazing find man........ I am truly speechless!!! Devonrex
thanks, always happy to get a comment from you

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man this is an incredible recovery! Colonial gold is a ridiculously tough find. I love the early stuff and these check off lots of boxes. Early, gold, valuable, personal and a cache. Tough to beat something like this. A giant congratulations to you on the find of a lifetime!!!! People that hid one thing tended to hide other things so I would be scouring the hell out of that entire area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread