1788 Vermont Colonial Copper dug in Mississippi!! Ryder-16

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No that is not a typo. Today while digging a site I dug my oldest coin to date!!! I was digging every signal at a site that I have hunted for several months. Iron was everywhere. I detected around a big oak tree and behind the oak tree was another partially rotten tree on the ground. I have never moved this tree so I decided to pick it up and move it. I got a screaming signal right under the log. I dug down and low and behold there was a copper coin in the hole. It was muddy so I knew I couldn't clean it in the field so I stuck it in my pouch. Shortly after I dug a couple of flat buttons and a tombac. Right before I was getting ready to leave I got another hit on my F75. I dug the signal and a beautiful shoe buckle appeared. What a day digging. I was excited. Well I came home and rinsed the mud off of the coin to reveal a copper that I could not id. I sent a message to Dave Wise and he put me in touch with some experts who Id'ed my coin as a 1788 Vermont Colonial Copper Ryder-16 variety. I am still in SHOCK. I DUG A VERMONT COLONIAL COPPER IN MISSISSIPPI! Thanks for looking everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_2324.JPG
    IMG_2324.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2343.JPG
    IMG_2343.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 129
  • vt_ryder_16_obv.jpg
    vt_ryder_16_obv.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 462
  • vt_ryder_16_rev.jpg
    vt_ryder_16_rev.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 484
Upvote 26

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that puppy is a long way from home! Gotta love those head-scratcher finds. Congrats.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coin recovery! :notworthy:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn tough find anywhere. We rarely see those Vts. I have dug a Ct and a Mass but I'd love to get a Vt. Congrats buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions