I just followed the Piper.

Bamadad53

Oct 24, 2016
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Piper Alabama was a coal mining town created in 1901 by Cahaba Coal Company. In 1950 the 3 under ground mines were all mined out and Piper was no more. Fast forward to today, using a 1940 quad map and Google Earth I was able to calculate coordinates for some of the old road intersections of Piper and armed with our trusty GPS unit the daughter and I went a-lookin. Once on site, which was way out in the middle of no where we were able to find the dim roads of Piper town. To day was mostly a recon day but we did do some detecting. Our best finds was a toasted buffalo nickel, a Cahaba Coal Company 1 cent coin/token, and 2 miners tags, the perfect one had no number on it and the crushed one had number 60 on it. We also found a round aluminum tag that you can see a couple of letters on, a brass washer, a steel/iron spoon, part of a spike of unknown metal(no rust), part of a lamp socket, and a bearing cap. Now that we know a little about the place we have a area that we will concentrate on during our next trip. One good thing about this place is no pull tops. We managed to find just 2 of them all day long. All and all it was a long day and she and I were 2 tired puppies when we got home. bufnichole.jpg bufnichole1a.jpg coin1.jpg coin1a.jpg junk.jpg minerstag.jpg

Bamadad

Upvote 10

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging some keepers. :occasion14: I really like that store token and the Buffalo ain't bad either.

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice you found some nice keepers from your effort.

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't get much better than a store token in my mind, proof you found the location is nice. I'd be very happy with the miners tags as well. Great hunt

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds with some added history, Love the tokens, good luck with the return trips:laughing7:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research and scouting! That place holds a lot of promise. Good luck on future hunts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions