Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit down

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
I just turned the ring into to the local police department. When I found out what the ring was worth this morning my first thought was that I should try to find the owner. This is not a $50 gold ring or even a $200 gold ring, we are talking $4,000 to $5,000 and unless this coin/jewelry dealer is the only honest one I have ever met odds are it may be worth a good deal more than that.

Second this ring was obviously important in terms of sentimental value. A friend of mine commented that it appeared to be an older style ring. It could have belonged to my mother, what if it belonged to yours? Keeping it was out of the question as it didn't survive the mom test.

I tell you it caused quite a stir at the station and the two officers on duty were awestruck when I opened the case and that diamond spewed fire in all directions under the lights. I was busy documenting the find for them when the lieutenant came out and he and I had a very good discussion.

The lieutenant was genuinely amazed that I would turn in such a find. He said, "people are out there detecting all the time and nobody ever turns anything in and I know they are finding good stuff". I mentioned that a find like this is quite rare, once in a lifetime for most people. Most days I told him our finds are rather average, a few coins, lots of trash, and if we are lucky a piece of gold or silver that is often worth well under $100. I told him straight that I don't turn those in, they pay for gas, parking, and equipment.

But a find like this, this ring is in a different class and many in our hobby will do the right thing and turn in a find like this. I tell you I made HUGE points with the lieutenant. He of course got all excited about getting into metal detecting and gave me his card and email address. Several times he was adamant that if the owner was found he was going to tell them that they need to pay me a reasonably sized finders fee. When I tried to wave that off he almost told me to be quiet, saying look you have to pay all this money for the equipment then spend your time finding the ring, you deserve a finders fee dam it so be quite I'm going to make sure you get one. lol It was great.

In general the point that I made mostly by my actions was that people have some misconceptions about the metal detecting community. Our hobby has lots of great people who often step forward and do the right thing returning lost items of value to their owners. I mentioned our track record of returning class rings to their owners. I tell you he was impressed. If I accomplished nothing else tonight I won new respect for those in our hobby and a truck load of good will. And probably three new members, I know treasure feaver when I see it, the officers had it bad!

Now to the legal part. They hold the item for 30 days and try to find the owner. They have a log of lost items and the owner may have already reported the item lost who knows. They will do what they can to find the owner and that is my wish. If at the end of 30 days nobody claims the item then it will be returned to me. The lieutenant told me this directly and I believed him. He assigned the whole thing an incident number and I got the feeling they took it all very seriously. Of course when I told him the ring had been roughly assessed at a value of $4,000 to $5,000 that helped. Jaws were gaping. They asked me all kinds of questions about what to ask to ensure a person claiming the ring was the rightful owner. I provided some. I will follow up with an email detailing exactly where it was found and what the owner should be able to tell them about the location itself and identifying marks on the ring the owner should know.

So in 30 days if nobody claims the ring, I will be the new owner and I will be happy to own it under those terms. If I kept my mouth shut and just kept the ring I'd never feel quite right about it. That whole mom test thing would have worn on me.

By the way the lieutenant was anxious to get my contact information and line up people who would pay to hire me to help them find some rather expensive lost items. He mentioned a $10k ring someone lost recently. I smiled and told him I had a day job but that I'm willing to volunteer as time allows. I kept a very low key in terms of rewards, finders fees, or whatever. I left them with a we volunteer to help our neighbors impression.

So there you have it. I'm sure some of you may be thinking Charles what are you nuts? Hey you know what, I guarantee you I just banked a serious amount of karma, probably enough to find a chain cent or half disme or something. ;D ;D

Charles

Upvote 0

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Re: Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit dow

BioProfessor said:
If he is "NUTS" then we need more nuts in this world. I, for one, would like be "NUTS" like him, raise my kids to be "NUTS," and have "NUTS" for friends. NO LOL.

Daryl

I am not saying there is something wrong with being NUTS... I think we need more people like Charles in this world.....Then it takes more attention away from me wearing that ring on my pinky!!! hehe....Oh and i HIGHLY doubt charles would lie about turning this ring.....I DOUBT he would LIE about finding it. I do not personally know Charles but i do know some of his friends...And i have NEVER heard anything but the BEST remarks about him. Great find Charles.....OH and your NUTS!!!

PS... check the lost and found on craigslist.

LEOJ

Jun 20, 2006
Logan County, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. II
Thanks Charles for demonstrating the meaning of true integrity.....

Charles--
Your a good man and a good friend. Your actions prove the person that you really are.

I know of several folks in my area who talk the talk when they're at their monthly club meetings but don't necessarily walk the walk in their everyday lives. Code of ethics my ass! Some of the stories I've heard them tell about jumping fences and so on to hunt a site that's OFF LIMITS will just curl your hair....These are the same kind of people who will get permission to hunt a private property, make a guarantee to return everything of significant value to the owner, and never have intension of doing so.

I honestly want nothing to do with this type of character, therefor I choose not to hunt with those guys at all......

I don't claim to know it all Charles, but I DO KNOW this at age 46; you reap what you sow my friend...................

Thanks for your friendship,
Joel

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If someone steps forward to claim the ring I would make sure you get some publicity on what you did. This kind of story could very easily be picked up by the nationals and give you your 15 minutes of fame, which you deserve.

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
Re: Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit dow

Ya done good Charles.. and a short story follows....

I was driving in Downtown Puyallup one day (yes it is a town name) :P and at a stop sign I see a wallet in the ditch. I jumped out, grabbed it and went on to what I was doing ( I was at work)

I got to the spot I was heading too, and when I looked in the wallet there was $790. cash and a checking deposit receipt that showed only $36.00 in the guys bank account. No other ID. I'll admit, since I was going on vacation in 5 more days it was really really tempting to keep it. I called the bank, explained what I had found and asked them to have the guy contact me. Then,l since he didn't do it that day I kind of forgot about it for a few days.

On the day I was leaving for my vacation the guy who owned the wallet called me and said he wanted to bring his boss and come get it, as he had been out of state when the bank called.

They showed up, looked at the wallet and handed me $100 dollars. I will admit that I took the $100 since I was short on vacation money. Then the guys boss told me that since it was obvious I had really found the wallet and money that he was giving the guy his job back.. Turns out the guy worked for him as a long haul trucker, and that it was his trip money that he lost. That is the first time I have ever heard a boss apologize for a mistake.

I sleep good guys...

Cheers

:)

OP
OP
Charles (Upstate NY)

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
This is the internet so I suppose it was inevitable that doubting thomas's would appear to question message time stamps. ;D

Relax guys I sent Marc aka Treasurenet's webmaster the name of the police station, the lieutenant's name, the incident number they opened, and their phone number.

As for time stamps damn if I know. It had to be 9:30-10am when I went down to the coin and jewelry shop. The clock on my PC now reads 10:30am which is correct for the east coast, I'm going to click post!

OP
OP
Charles (Upstate NY)

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
Hmmm I see the time stamp is 3 hours off odd. I just checked the time zone, my PC is set to the eastern time zone so I don't think the problem is on my end.

USMC

Jun 23, 2005
east river South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

The posts go by the server's time clock. I believe the server for treasurenet is in the mountain time zone. it is 9:37 by my clock here in central time.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

It's 16:40 where I am now.

Daryl

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
"Relax guys I sent Marc aka Treasurenet's webmaster the name of the police station, the lieutenant's name, the incident number they opened, and their phone number."

Excellent Charles.....you did do the right thing and I'm sorry I tried playing detective......nice job!

HH all!

Greg

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw the diamond I also thought that it was an older ring. It probably has great sentimental value to whomever lost it. I salute you!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I think it is great as well! Also where I come from they hold things for 30 days that are turned in as found then give it to the finder as well. Confiscations on drug dealers go to auction but found items go to the finder. Maybe that is just a small town way of doing things? no clue but that is how it is done some places and from the sounds of it the LT was careful to explain the way things are done there as well. Great job again on the find and also on giving the person who lost it a chance to get something back that obviously would mean a great deal to them. :D

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I was wondering what the found property laws are in NY. Because in California something like that would definitely need to be reported to authorities. That was the right thing to do. I would have really felt guilty by not reporting a recently lost ring like that. A find like that is like finding a car or dirt bike. If the ring was an old lost, say from the early 20th century, it would be different.

Good Luck

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
wtg no matter how it ends you can still feel good about the whole thing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread