Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit down

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
I just turned the ring into to the local police department. When I found out what the ring was worth this morning my first thought was that I should try to find the owner. This is not a $50 gold ring or even a $200 gold ring, we are talking $4,000 to $5,000 and unless this coin/jewelry dealer is the only honest one I have ever met odds are it may be worth a good deal more than that.

Second this ring was obviously important in terms of sentimental value. A friend of mine commented that it appeared to be an older style ring. It could have belonged to my mother, what if it belonged to yours? Keeping it was out of the question as it didn't survive the mom test.

I tell you it caused quite a stir at the station and the two officers on duty were awestruck when I opened the case and that diamond spewed fire in all directions under the lights. I was busy documenting the find for them when the lieutenant came out and he and I had a very good discussion.

The lieutenant was genuinely amazed that I would turn in such a find. He said, "people are out there detecting all the time and nobody ever turns anything in and I know they are finding good stuff". I mentioned that a find like this is quite rare, once in a lifetime for most people. Most days I told him our finds are rather average, a few coins, lots of trash, and if we are lucky a piece of gold or silver that is often worth well under $100. I told him straight that I don't turn those in, they pay for gas, parking, and equipment.

But a find like this, this ring is in a different class and many in our hobby will do the right thing and turn in a find like this. I tell you I made HUGE points with the lieutenant. He of course got all excited about getting into metal detecting and gave me his card and email address. Several times he was adamant that if the owner was found he was going to tell them that they need to pay me a reasonably sized finders fee. When I tried to wave that off he almost told me to be quiet, saying look you have to pay all this money for the equipment then spend your time finding the ring, you deserve a finders fee dam it so be quite I'm going to make sure you get one. lol It was great.

In general the point that I made mostly by my actions was that people have some misconceptions about the metal detecting community. Our hobby has lots of great people who often step forward and do the right thing returning lost items of value to their owners. I mentioned our track record of returning class rings to their owners. I tell you he was impressed. If I accomplished nothing else tonight I won new respect for those in our hobby and a truck load of good will. And probably three new members, I know treasure feaver when I see it, the officers had it bad!

Now to the legal part. They hold the item for 30 days and try to find the owner. They have a log of lost items and the owner may have already reported the item lost who knows. They will do what they can to find the owner and that is my wish. If at the end of 30 days nobody claims the item then it will be returned to me. The lieutenant told me this directly and I believed him. He assigned the whole thing an incident number and I got the feeling they took it all very seriously. Of course when I told him the ring had been roughly assessed at a value of $4,000 to $5,000 that helped. Jaws were gaping. They asked me all kinds of questions about what to ask to ensure a person claiming the ring was the rightful owner. I provided some. I will follow up with an email detailing exactly where it was found and what the owner should be able to tell them about the location itself and identifying marks on the ring the owner should know.

So in 30 days if nobody claims the ring, I will be the new owner and I will be happy to own it under those terms. If I kept my mouth shut and just kept the ring I'd never feel quite right about it. That whole mom test thing would have worn on me.

By the way the lieutenant was anxious to get my contact information and line up people who would pay to hire me to help them find some rather expensive lost items. He mentioned a $10k ring someone lost recently. I smiled and told him I had a day job but that I'm willing to volunteer as time allows. I kept a very low key in terms of rewards, finders fees, or whatever. I left them with a we volunteer to help our neighbors impression.

So there you have it. I'm sure some of you may be thinking Charles what are you nuts? Hey you know what, I guarantee you I just banked a serious amount of karma, probably enough to find a chain cent or half disme or something. ;D ;D

Charles

Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit dow

It's crazy for sure... especially that I'm looking at it on the Recent Treasures Found By Our Members bar up at the top... but it was right and just; both hard qualities to find in nearly anyone these days. I know I'm only saying this being nearly 25 years old, but I really do look up to & admire you for that call you made. I would sure like to know that if something like that ever happened to me, I'd have the character to at least try to find the owner.

Good job, my man!!

Bran <><

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Sorry after a bad day detecting and a sore back I did read the last line...you turned in a $4000 ring... ??? Oh ok karma sure...

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Forget karma handing out some old coins, I honestly hope the ring goes unclaimed, big kudos, either way.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Not sure which police department you turned it in to...but in larger cities...here is what happens.

The item is inventoried as found property. If no owner steps forward item is sold at an auction, maybe the town you found it in is different. But seeing it was lost property turned in I am amazed this person said that to you Charlie! ??? Honestly if someone lost this and did not file a lost property report by now....and this town does give away lost property... ??? I hope you get it back. :) The problem with this idea of a 30 day rule is what happens if owner files a re[port 2 months from now? That is why normally the process is a found property report, item inventoried. Obviously it does or did belong to someone hope you get it back! I don't need the money but knowing here it would probably be auctioned it would be hard to turn in! But my wife would make sure I did too! Good luck! :)

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal. Wouldn't it be nice if the owners claimed, gave you a nice reward and had lots of property that you could search anytime! Imagine what you might find then.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Charles, You are a stand up guy, and I commend you for doing the correct moral thing. Some on here would have kept their mouth shut about it and just kept the ring.. selling it in a few months or so. But you took it to the police and talked to them, and some of them have a better perspective of the integrity of most detectorists... and maybe a few converts also.

And as gold fish said , I hope nobody has claims to it......because you deserve to have it.

Dimeman

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Charles: Congrats on your "find of a lifetime"
And "Super Kudos" to you for the manner in which you handled the situation.

You're a credit to the hobby; If a few more of us "follow suit" from your example, the hobby of metal detecting will soon earn a respect that it deserves :)

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
Boy, I gotta tell you, you really made me sit back and take a look at myself and i feel ashamed. I don't think I would have done what you did and I also believe not many people would have turned it in. If people had half the moral fiber you have this worl may be a different place. I AM GOING TO HAVE MY KIDS READ YOUR POST. With all of that said, I could of bought one heck of a metal detector with that kind of money! i told my wife of this storey, and she asked me if you were hitt'n the pipe. Good Luuck I hope nobody claims it.................

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Good show. I remember reading somewhere on here about doing just what you did; turning the ring in to the police so they can try to locate the owner. Seems like I read that if you sold it you could be arrested for "larceny by conversion". However, if you turn it in and wait the required 30 days and no one comes forward, then you could sell it and it would be legit. Personally I hope no one claims it. Good job.

dieharddigger

Dec 1, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/E-Trac
My hat is off to you! Hard to find good qualities in people any more. What ever way it turns out,you win. The city I live in will also hold an item for 30 days and if unclaimed will return it to the finder.
HH, Steve

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Here they put it up for 30 days to see if it's claimed. If not, they auction it off and the proceeds go into the policeman fund. My mom found this out the hard way.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Gribnitz said:
Here they put it up for 30 days to see if it's claimed. If not, they auction it off and the proceeds go into the policeman fund. My mom found this out the hard way.

That is how it is in most places! Time periods usually vary. The reason it is lost personal property and thus if unclaimed is auctioned. But who knows some of the smaller towns might have the same laws/rules as a hotel!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit dow

I give you an enormous amount of credit sir (and you deserve the respect of being called "sir"). I know you frequent other forums and if you read a recent post on one of them by a fellow who found a similar ring asking what he should do, you'll recall that 90%+ of the people told him they would keep it and he should to and not bother looking for the owner.

I was one of the few who disagreed. I think it shows true moral character and a great deal of self respect and honor to do what you did. There are a ton of things that could happen...

1. The owner could come forward and claim it
2. The owner could have already collected insurance money on it and still come forward and claim it
3. Someone in the police station (God forbid) could swap it out with a cheaper stone or outright steal it
etc...

In the end you might get the ring to keep or you might not - you'll know in 30 days - but the one thing you will be able to do is look yourself in the mirror as can your wife and other family members, knowing you are truly an honorable and respectable person.

I may not have done it the same way you did, but I would have done the same thing.

My hat's off to you!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005

You RULE! (as the youngsters say these days lol).

That is the perfect lesson on how to live with a clear conscience, and come out ahead.

Worst case scenario? Someone claims it.

But even if that does happen, the lieutenant seems anxious to check into taking up metal detecting as a hobby.

And by your actions, no telling what may happen to you. You might get all kinds of leads from others at the police department. You may be asked to help find something, and get rewards above and beyond cash...like making new friends you never thought you would meet.

That sort of thing.

Karma will treat you well, my friend.

And of course the positive side?

Nobody claims it, you end up with a pile of cash, and you STILL will reap the other benefits mentioned above.

You are a class act.

Way to go!
:)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Cubfan64 said:
I give you an enormous amount of credit sir (and you deserve the respect of being called "sir"). I know you frequent other forums and if you read a recent post on one of them by a fellow who found a similar ring asking what he should do, you'll recall that 90%+ of the people told him they would keep it and he should to and not bother looking for the owner.

I was one of the few who disagreed. I think it shows true moral character and a great deal of self respect and honor to do what you did. There are a ton of things that could happen...

1. The owner could come forward and claim it
2. The owner could have already collected insurance money on it and still come forward and claim it
3. Someone in the police station (God forbid) could swap it out with a cheaper stone or outright steal it
etc...

In the end you might get the ring to keep or you might not - you'll know in 30 days - but the one thing you will be able to do is look yourself in the mirror as can your wife and other family members, knowing you are truly an honorable and respectable person.

I may not have done it the same way you did, but I would have done the same thing.

My hat's off to you!

Ok if an insurance claim was put in this also should have been mentioned on the other post... a police report is required and the item would then become property of the insurance company. He is better off if the town as he said gives away personal property that is lost and inventoried.....strange though...

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

Charles,
What goes around, comes around:)
This world needs more people like you.
It's an honor to 'know' you :)

steelheadfever

Jun 15, 2005
Caldwell,Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT/Minelab XT-70/Whites Beach Hunter ID
As a former police officer I know for fact that they will not put it up for auction and put the money in a policemans fund. I don't know where some people come up with these ideas. It sure is not based on fact. If within the 30 days they can not find the owner the ring will be returned to you. If they told you that you will get it back if no one claims it you will get it back. HH Dennis in Idaho

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread