JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening all, Just had a fun day of detecting, or at least 4 or 5 hrs. I started out at my curb strips and found one silver rosie and a wheat. Got tired of the curb strip and went to eat lunch and hang out at a buddies for a while. I almost went home and headed that way then I remembered about this school that on the grounds the original school started in the 1860 to 70's. I had never hunted there and figured what the heck since I had another hr of sunlight left. I headed out across the field toward where I could see some big trees, Figured I would try there since those trees had to be a couple hundred years old. On the way there I hit the 1941 s Washington then a 44 wheat. I knew it is looking pretty good :)

Then the sun was starting to get low and I figured I better turn around and head back to the car. I was picking up shallow quarters and dimes and frankly was passing on tons of them listening for deeper signals with my Gain turned down. I ended up getting a 12/48 12/49 and it was a deeper signal, Pinpointed smaller so I got to digging. popped the plug and saw a thick rim in the bottom of the hole. The coin was sitting on edge and I thought holy crap a dollar. I got out my light and shined it in the hole since it was getting dark and I saw a glimse of gold too. I grabbed the dirty coin and my heart was pumping I quickly swiped the mud and saw it wasn't a gold coin but did have some gilt left on it. Clean it a little more and saw 1894 and at that point I stopped and figured I would finish it when I got home. I packed it up and scrambled home

I clean it up and it is a 1894 California Mid-Winter exposition coin/token. Made of Brass and was the gold gilt version(not much left after cleaning) which was rather rare. Still need to do more research on it but for me this is a awesome piece of history. I need to find out how many where made. A couple places I read about it said no actual number but eluded to the fact not many were made, and even more rare were the ones that had gilt.. Happy hunting all!! Going back tomorrow!!

Edit, Just read the Gold gilt ones were only given out on the first day of the exposition!!

http://www.kittlecoins.com/3045753009.htm

http://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/California_Midwinter.html

Attachments

• Blackberry Stuff 031.jpg
    Blackberry Stuff 031.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Upvote 18

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, that place should keep you busy for awhile?

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you might have yourself a little honey hole. A quick 41 Washington and a cool token/coin with some age, Awesome.
Can't wait to see what else is there.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, love that old token.

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX, Garrett GP Pointer, Bounty Hunter Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I ask you, in what area of California do you live in? I live in Stockton, about 40 miles south of Sacramento.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find.:notworthy: here in central cal. all we find is bullet casings

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds sir! The token is really sweet.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like treasures were found at every site to include the walk back to the vehicle. Congrats on 2 silvers and that cool old token. :occasion14:

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt siver and that token is a cherry on the cake WTG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fun hunt with some nice keepers! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread