Image 1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 5

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
That is an interesting (and still unknown) item. Is it brass? 3" wide or what? It does look like a clip of some sort, and since found at a homestead site, may be garment related.
Good Luck!

OP
OP
jhumbert40

jhumbert40

Sep 13, 2012
Bayville New Jersey
Detector(s) used
whites m-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting (and still unknown) item. Is it brass? 3" wide or what? It does look like a clip of some sort, and since found at a homestead site, may be garment related.
Good Luck!
Yes it is brass and about 3 inches...

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat ? seen similar things that held a printed card/calling card/doctors name tag/ that sort of thing. Tucked up under those two tabs, maybe hung from a chain around the neck? Not for sure

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is an interesting found but can't help with the id sorry.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They game out quite a few patents in 1885, from 310163 to 333493. Tried to search to find any reasonable description but no luck. It doesn't look like they put any part of the patent number on your item.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be an old note holder, like today's clip board. You would hang it on a wall with a little nail. The front is actually the part with the 2 clips, as the back has the patent info. You would put a piece of paper between the clips. Best idea I can come up with.

OP
OP
jhumbert40

jhumbert40

Sep 13, 2012
Bayville New Jersey
Detector(s) used
whites m-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info...I been trying to find some kind of info and been doing research and come up with nothing...I guess i can go with a Clip Board...

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an idea to research.

Back in the day they had roll up blinds, A piece of material rolled around a usually wooden tube with a spring inside.
One of the main problems was that sometimes the ratchet would not catch and if you did not have a firm grasp of the lower edge, which usually was a wooden slat inserted into a looped hem, it would snap up sharply whirling itself around the shaft and loose the return tension. You would then have to re-tension the blind so that it would work properly. Sometimes there were cord pulls attached to the lower slat using a thumb tack.

So,..... I can see this as being attached to the slat and being held in place with pressure of the 2 formed tabs and also provide a hole with which to attach a cord.

But, I see the pointed shape as being a preventative measure to stop the slat from revolving around the shaft, therefore stopping the loss of tension. It was this feature that probably made it a patatentable design.

Just a thought that might help research.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Got 4by4 got me thinking
Top of a calendar was one thought, other was a pull down cord for a large roll up map(classroom style)
I'll check in to see where this ends up

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my guess is
it was nailed to the front door for visitors to leave their calling card when you were not home

OP
OP
jhumbert40

jhumbert40

Sep 13, 2012
Bayville New Jersey
Detector(s) used
whites m-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread