1723 KG 1, Colonial Cufflinks and 13 Star Button on 8 degree Morning

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday and Friday it got up to 50 here in Maine and we had rain mixed in which wiped out the snow on the coast. A January 14 hunt in Maine is an absolute rarity! To find a few colonial goodies was awesome. I went to a small cabin site that I found a 1653 copper Cob at. This trip produced a 1723 KG1 with a perfect date. This is my nicest George 1 and only my 3rd I believe. The links are my favorite. I thought it was just one link as it came out in a chunk of ice. When I got home and thawed it out I was psyched to find that it was a linked set. I also found an interesting 2 piece button that is gilted and has 13 stars. 7 on the front and 6 around the edge....patriotic???? I also found a strange little piece of iron that I have no clue about. Curious what it might be. Hoping to get to the shore next weekend but regardless I'm psyched to be on the board for 2017 so quickly.
IMG_5541.JPG
IMG_5559.JPG
IMG_5542.JPG
IMG_5587.JPG
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5590.JPG
IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5593.JPG
IMG_5594.JPG
IMG_5595.JPG
IMG_5596.JPG
IMG_5601.JPG

Upvote 31

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha! It takes Abe's finds to pull you two out of hibernation! Lol.

I surprised the warmth didn't reach you guys. It's frozen even under the leaves and forest cover?

I haven't been on here much, read a few posts, and maybe reply to one or two. Been busy setting up new computer system. I have completely converted to Linux, so not just new computer, but different operating system, new email program to set up, transfer files, clone a spare hard drive for back-up, re-organize, re-name 10 years worth of MDing pics. etc., etc.

I haven't used windows in a few days now, and I'm really really happy with the new desktop, and all I can do with it.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa...some serious great finds there. Being able to get out and do some detecting in January is a rare treat. Always important to take advantage of the circumstances when they present themselves. Well done!!!

Yeah that was prob the deepest into winter I've ever hunted. Is nice to just get out this time of year....to find some early stuff makes it really nice.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a sweet hunt for the middle of Jan. old copper, awesome set of links, thimble. You're defiantly on the board already for the 2017 season, well done Abe.

Thanks Pep. A nice surprise for sure. I always enjoy being on the board early.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's one gorgeous copper buddy! I still haven't dug my first identifiable KG1 yet down here if you can believe that. Glad the weather is cooperating, but you know that probably won't be for long so get back out there and take advantage.

Thanks buddy. I'm going to try to get out Saturday as well. Snowing as we speak unfortunately

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOOOOOOOOW I cant even imagine finding something that old that is sooo cool I want to move to your area I cant imagine having anything that old Great job thanks for sharing them with us !!!!!!

Maine has some incredibly early history. We had a small colony about 20 minutes from my house in 1607. Then sporadic settlement through the 1600s. So a 1700s coin is a fairly common find up here. When you dip back into the 1600s you have truly accomplished something. Those babies are very tough to find

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is one nice looking kg copper, especially for its age.
love the cufflinks. what do you think that design depicts. i kind of thought it looked like the fleur de lis, but not im not so sure.
well done brother....

My guess is that the design is nautical in nature. I have dug another set similar that I was told is depicting a whales water spout. My guess is that these are similar but I'm not positive. Luckily this area has been awesome on coppers. I hunted a cabin site close by that gave up more that 20 pre 1750 coppers and lots were in great condition. This particular site produced a 1653 copper cob last year that was really nice as well

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Big congrats! Glad to see you're able to hunt in January.

Yeah pretty crazy for sure. I expected just a nice day in the woods without a whole lot to show. The colonial finds were an awesome bonus. How's the ground looking there my friend?

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Abe! Love those cufflinks. And the 1723 KGI is a beauty. That must be a common date since three of mine are 1723s and I seem to see it posted fairly often.

Thanks Steve. I love the links but I'm still wanting a nice hand etched silver link. And yes the 1723 seems to be the common date for an uncommon copper

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Abe- just that fact that you're out and finding anything is amazing- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

Thanks Jeff....sure breaks up the winter blues for me

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation on the "warm" weather and some excellent finds, Abe. Very nice KGI but I like the links the best. Down here we don't have to thaw out our finds to id them but I guess you have to do what you have to do. :laughing7: Very interested in finding out the significance of the 13 stars on that button.

Yup it's always interesting digging out finds in a chunk of ice lol....but I can't stand not at least trying to find some colonial goodies. I would love to know more about the button but am guessing I never will. This is 13 star mystery button #2

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I'm layed up for a while. Had foot surgery last Thursday. The foot feels good, but not getting out is killing me

Bummer Art. Get well my man

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds! I am from Mass and got to to out this past weekend too. What a treat! New England is not conducive to detecting for so many months so we have to take advtange when we can. Glad you got on some beauties!

Thanks Dan. Yes my friend we have been pretty lucky the last few years. I have had a few great January finds

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and amazing start to the year! I knew people would be put those day, I was stuck working! Keep em coming! Good luck and HH!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Is that what those KG's look like. I've been told a couple of the old coppers I've found were KG's but, they're so toasted I see nothing. Sweet copper you've got there!!
And those cufflinks are Sweet, love the patina on them.
Congrats and Hope you get in some more January hunts!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah pretty crazy for sure. I expected just a nice day in the woods without a whole lot to show. The colonial finds were an awesome bonus. How's the ground looking there my friend?

Lots of snow still even with the bit warmer weather of 32 F but nothing compared to -22 F we had in December.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread