1723 KG 1, Colonial Cufflinks and 13 Star Button on 8 degree Morning

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday and Friday it got up to 50 here in Maine and we had rain mixed in which wiped out the snow on the coast. A January 14 hunt in Maine is an absolute rarity! To find a few colonial goodies was awesome. I went to a small cabin site that I found a 1653 copper Cob at. This trip produced a 1723 KG1 with a perfect date. This is my nicest George 1 and only my 3rd I believe. The links are my favorite. I thought it was just one link as it came out in a chunk of ice. When I got home and thawed it out I was psyched to find that it was a linked set. I also found an interesting 2 piece button that is gilted and has 13 stars. 7 on the front and 6 around the edge....patriotic???? I also found a strange little piece of iron that I have no clue about. Curious what it might be. Hoping to get to the shore next weekend but regardless I'm psyched to be on the board for 2017 so quickly.
IMG_5541.JPG
IMG_5559.JPG
IMG_5542.JPG
IMG_5587.JPG
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5590.JPG
IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5593.JPG
IMG_5594.JPG
IMG_5595.JPG
IMG_5596.JPG
IMG_5601.JPG

Upvote 31

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad to see you got out bud. And that KG1 is about 5x better than my best example. The links are the winner of the day for me. Not only are they wicked old, they're complete, hand-etched, sporting a great patina, and complete. And they're complete. That's a home run!

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find, I can now use it to reference mine and set the two pix side by side. I'm glad you got to get out, also safe and sound with no mishaps!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That KG is a beauty and you've got to love those cufflinks, congrats

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well well, look who got out. The copper is in incredible shape as are the links. The button is intriguing and hopefully someone will have an ID for ya. Nice hunt and hopefully you'll have more warm days to dig

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds, congratulations. The coin is awesome, I haven't pulled a coin from the 1700's yet, that one is a beauty.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its really great to see you getting a well deserved break from work and the weather, and getting out there to hunt. You didn't even have to shovel snow out of the site to hunt either. haha It seems the coppers from that one area sure do come out looking great. I'm glad you hit the cob site and pulled a few more keepers. I dug my nicest complete iron hoe blade there :headbang: Those links are fantastic too man. I'll give the button a google and chime in again if I find anything. Looking forward to your next dig man.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa...some serious great finds there. Being able to get out and do some detecting in January is a rare treat. Always important to take advantage of the circumstances when they present themselves. Well done!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a sweet hunt for the middle of Jan. old copper, awesome set of links, thimble. You're defiantly on the board already for the 2017 season, well done Abe.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man that's one gorgeous copper buddy! I still haven't dug my first identifiable KG1 yet down here if you can believe that. Glad the weather is cooperating, but you know that probably won't be for long so get back out there and take advantage.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOOOOOOOOW I cant even imagine finding something that old that is sooo cool I want to move to your area I cant imagine having anything that old Great job thanks for sharing them with us !!!!!!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that is one nice looking kg copper, especially for its age.
love the cufflinks. what do you think that design depicts. i kind of thought it looked like the fleur de lis, but not im not so sure.
well done brother....

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome! Big congrats! Glad to see you're able to hunt in January.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad to see you got out bud. And that KG1 is about 5x better than my best example. The links are the winner of the day for me. Not only are they wicked old, they're complete, hand-etched, sporting a great patina, and complete. And they're complete. That's a home run!

Yeah that was a nice surprise when I got home. It never even crossed my mind that it was a linked set. All I could see was the one in the ice chunk. The nicest patina on a brass link that I've dug as well. This area has great soil man. All my nicest coppers came from this property

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find, I can now use it to reference mine and set the two pix side by side. I'm glad you got to get out, also safe and sound with no mishaps!

Yup pretty quiet for one of my little adventures bud....but I'm either taking the kayak to a site or I'm hunting a shoreline this weekend so that could all change lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That KG is a beauty and you've got to love those cufflinks, congrats

The links are for sure my favorite find of this hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread