Some SILVER and ICE, But Still Really Nice!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Today at 3:40 pm, I had some time after dropping my daughter off at ballet class (45 miles from home :BangHead:) and needed to hunt. There is a School a few miles from the studio, so off I went for an hour walk through the play area. The surrounding grassed area was frozen solid, but the wood chips were easy to push away, but at the inch mark they also were frozen solid. I used a small shovel with serrated sides to “hammer” through the chip/ice combination when needed. :icon_thumleft:

This place must have been hit hard before, since there were no high conducting signals below two inches and very few signals to boot! All clad except the two nickels were found within the inch layer of wood chips. The silver Rosie (1960 D) and the two charms (Disney-snowflake and Alex & Ani) were found by digging below the frozen ice zone. The machine used was the Minelab 705 w/18.75 kHz coil with a wide open screen.

I am hoping for some warm weather, otherwise it’s to the woods to hunt!

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

01_16_2017 1.jpg 01_16_2017 2.jpg 01_16_2017 3.jpg

Upvote 17

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection. Nothing harder than digging into frozen wood chips and nothing more frustrating than having to leave a good sounding target because you can't get to it, so I give up on wood chips playgrounds until we have a decent thaw. Sand playgrounds are a better bet in winter.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya with the frozen ground that jack hammer is hard to drag around LOL I go out when its over 35 seems ok for digging the woods are great cause the leaves are like an insulater and the ground is easy to dig Glad you got out and made some finds !!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard work pays off in nice finds- Great work Doc!

-- Jeff --

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes - stopped at a spot on way home yesterday and dealt with some frozen ground too - had it made it 5 degrees warmer yesterday would have been fine.....struggled to dig out 4 dimes and 16 pennies and gave up. Left a loud, clean '84-85' I couldnt dig as ground was too hard - marked it with a stick and will get back later this week when things warm up a bit.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Proff; I think now it is either the woods or the beach. It is frozen everywhere. Nice finds. I admire your determination. lol. PEACE:RONB

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you got an hour workout today Doc. Congrats on eking out the rosie and other finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread