๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER Charleston 1850 SLAVE TAG !!!

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Charleston 1850 SLAVE TAG !!! VIDEO ADDED

WOW-- This has been on my bucket list for a very long time. Just got back from my annual trip to Charleston SC and I'm still on cloud 9!!

Every year I head to the south with a few buddies and we hunt some plantations with high hopes of a great find. I have seen a couple other slave tags dug but was never the lucky one to pass the coil over it. Well, my time came and I was the one that was lucky enough to swing the coil over it.

This plantation was a mid 1700 plantation and we did locate the slave cabins or at least the few bricks that were left. The caretaker gave us a tour of the plantation and let us get to diggin. We dug several flat buttons and a few other period targets but the site had been hunted hard over the years. Finally a nice 80 on the Deus and I turned the plug and this just popped out lying face up as seen in the picture below. I almost passed out hahaha! WE had been digging several shotgun shells that were reading in the high 70s and low 80s so I was not expecting much and this totally got caught me off guard!! That feeling is the reason I metal detect! What a rush!!

A few pictures to show fresh from the ground, a little cleaning and then the final cleaning. The detecting gods were smiling on me that day!!

Attachments

• Slave Tag final 2.jpg
    Slave Tag final 2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 623
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 432
  • ST3.JPG
    ST3.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Upvote 86

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A sure holy-grail bucket lister for all east coast and southern states CW hunters. A real piece of history (albeit sad). Congratz Ron ! Those have made the covers of past TH'ing magazines, and have always made banner here. So I'm voting banner too ! Good on you !

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the holy grail of low country digging! Huge congrats! Its in pretty great shape all things considered. Talk to VMI about info on the tag he knows a ton about makers of the slave tags! Banner vote no doubt!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be looking forward to seeing that make it's way across the top soon. Banner vote on it's way. Good luck!

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well is doesnt get much better then that !, super condition too wow wow :hello2: , On my bucket list with almost no chance to get one, so thanks for sharing yours BBBBBBBBBanner

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner Great job !! Good for you I'm sure you deserve it we all work hard looking for history!!!!!!

OP
OP
Ron (CA)

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Glad to see that lowcountry dirt producing the goods, even if it not for a local :laughing7: banner vote a huge congrats

HAHAHA We had a few locals with us in the group. They just decided to share this time!! I am glad I could join you in the club!!

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding work. What a remarkable find.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your Banner find!.... its in great shape too....

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on BANNER! It's evidence of a dark chapter in our history but history non the less. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions