🥇 BANNER 1862 S $10 gold

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Got my 15th gold coin. And a key-date gold coin. 1862 S $10. Will probably only merit a "40" grade at best, eh ? Plus I knicked it on the reverse below the "ten" (aargghh).

Got this over the weekend with a buddy on a reconn. trip to a new site we've been researching. A defunct country/mountain resort "in California".

Aside from this one coin, we got no other coins. Which was strange, because we got no lack of other period targets of a 'personal' effect nature. Eg. buttons, harmonica reeds, spoons, suspender clips, period match safe box, etc.... (as opposed to period bullet shells, period building debris, etc...). Will post pix of the other items in the day to come. In the meantime, here's the coin.

20170117_095946.jpg

20170117_095850.jpg

Upvote 148
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the info. I suspect most were San Fransisco mint (1850-1880)?
Did any of them exhibit very minor "coin debasement" on the edges? This would be where someone scraped the edges with a pocket knife (usually corner of the reed), just enough to barely dislodge a tiny fraction of gold?

I'd have to go and look, but I believe most are SF. One was from Britain. Another was Dahlonega, and I believe I have a plain or so. No, none have scraped edges of the reeded edges.

The dates range from 1829 (the British Sovereign, found in Calif. ) to 1914 (A $2.50 gold after a beach storm).

Hope that answers your Q's.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my 15th gold coin

there just seems to be something not very fair about that statement. most of us will never get a first one. but congrats anyway! I can't help but picture you digging it and going "oh, another gold coin" :laughing7:

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanx T-Ranger for the Chicago area details. You get 2x the points if you get a gold coin from the turf ! Because that means you overcame the time-needed to dig all the post 1910-ish coins. And overcame the junk factor (tabs ? foil ? And/or spending all your time 2nd-guessing depths, blah blah blah). So in my book you get a double atteboy for getting a gold coin out of turfed parks. ESPECIALLY if it's a $1 or a $2.50, as those would read beaver tail and round-tab area of the TID.

To answer your question: 2 of the 15 are $20's. One from a stage stop, and the other following beach storm erosion.

Crazy man. My hat goes off to you!

All were turf. My $1 piece was stuck to a half dime- Dumb luck.

You just never know in this hobby......

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Crazy man. My hat goes off to you!

All were turf. My $1 piece was stuck to a half dime- Dumb luck.

You just never know in this hobby......

My wife is from Chicago. We did our honeymoon at the Drake on the shores near the Navy Pier. And walking/driving around all the greenbelts and parks, I was thinking about all the md'ing potential. I recall spotting an old town demolition in the Little Italy -to- Chinatown area. Although I'm supposed to be thinking of the honeymoon, eh? :dontknow::BangHead:

Made me wonder how turf-hunters and ballsy demolition site hunters do there !

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Congrats again Tom. She is definitely a beauty, and I didn't realize how rare/bother to look up the date when I originally saw it. So cool.

I really like all the other finds that came out of there as well. It really goes to show how your and Brian's research is paying off; it seems like that spot has seen very little detecting activity. Dream site!

Congrats again on the banner. Also, there's a lot of turf in Chicago; my dad and I are going back next year if you want to tag along - England too!

Cheers man :occasion14:

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find, congrats, looking forward to seeing your other finds too!

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I really like all the other finds that came out of there as well. It really goes to show how your and Brian's research is paying off; it seems like that spot has seen very little detecting activity....

Yes. That's what makes you and your dad able to get a gold coin or reale. Whereas most people (like myself in my early years) would bristle at: rimfire shells, harmonica reeds, toe-taps, period buttons, pistol balls, etc.... (after all, they're not "coins"). Yet to the trained eye who "likes" that stuff: They know immediately to scrub the snot out of such areas. Because a seated, or a reale (or a gold coin) could follow in that strata/demographics. And that you'd rather have a single seated or reale , than 100 barbers or mercs.

.... Also, there's a lot of turf in Chicago; my dad and I are going back next year if you want to tag along ...

I'm game. Drop me a line before you go. The only downer back there (as you know), is that even though deep-turf- know-how people get more silver (barbers, seateds, etc...) yet the S and CC more valuable mints are rarer. They even get LC's and colonial coppers and busts in turfed parks back there. So it's a mixed bag of pro's & cons. Like England : 1600's and 1700's stuff = child's play. Yet over there that's like finding wheaties over here. Doh ! :tongue3:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congratulations again. Banner for sue

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wanted to comment again; that is a really beautiful coin! I can admit I've never actually seen a gold coin in person and I don't really like gold jewelry much; but, that coin is really very nice. I would be thrilled to just be there to watch you dig it!

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great earlier gold coin, they can sure put a charge in ones day on the rare occasions a person finds one!

Don

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner! I have only been metal detecting for less then three years but I have learned a lot from your posts! Thanks for sharing.

strick

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That coin looks awfully clean. :icon_scratch: ( :laughing7: )

Hey Tom! BIG Congrats on #15

I think I'd like to see (and I'm sure it would be of big interest to others) the re-post of the summary of your gold coins and how and where you found them. Inspirational for sure!

Joe

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15th...........15th...........15th...........15th.............15th gold coin!?!?!?! :notworthy:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,
From one Salinas person to one who lived in Salinas, that is a beautiful coin regardless of its graded condition! Thank you for sharing as it bolsters my commitment to find that gold coin out there that has my name on it. Excellent Find, Very Banner Worthy!!!..........63bkpkr

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to go and look, but I believe most are SF. One was from Britain. Another was Dahlonega, and I believe I have a plain or so. No, none have scraped edges of the reeded edges.

The dates range from 1829 (the British Sovereign, found in Calif. ) to 1914 (A $2.50 gold after a beach storm).

Hope that answers your Q's.

Yup - Thanks for the conversation!

Nothing quite screams valuable like the heft of a gold coin.
Your targeted sites are exactly the kind I'm interested in. Not so much for the possibility of gold coins, but for the direct access to history.
Always knowing there is a possibility of finding treasure doesn't hurt. I have more sites picked out than I have time to visit.

Amazing how gold coins come out of the ground in the same condition as when they were lost!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread