Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now that deer season is over it's game on for some sites I have been waiting to explore. Over the long weekend I took advantage of my newly found freedom to cover some ground on a 950-acre permission that I secured last spring.

To start out I revisited an 18th century home site where I found a lot of quality relics including three silver cuff links and three British coppers. I hit it pretty hard last year but I thought I might be able to squeeze a little more from the site. It's a small plowed field in the middle of the woods, and the home site location straddles the edge of the field. A gridding of half of the field produced a tombac button, followed by a brass flat button a few feet into the woods.

After that I spent a lot of unproductive time in the woods and it looked like the day was going to be a bust, until I got a strong, loud 80 signal (which on the AT Pro is usually either silver or a large copper). I was hoping for a halfpenny but was not disappointed when I dug an intact knee buckle frame.

20170117_203012.jpg

I was so sure it was silver that I later tried the baking soda, hot water and aluminum foil trick with no results. Then I tried polishing it with Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish (which I use to clean silver) and it ended up with a black, smooth finish. I am stumped-any ideas as to what type of metal it is made of?

20170117_195417.jpg 20170117_195516.jpg

Late in the day I dug a very early, one-piece Scovill (actually "Scovills") civilian button with a lot of gilt still on it. I was pretty happy with this one; it's my best civilian button to date. Based on my research it was made in the 1820s or 1830s. Aluminum jelly did a good job of cleaning the gilt.

Just dug
Button just dug.jpg

Then after cleaning
20170117_205546.jpg 20170115_100252.jpg

The day closed out with a partial snaffle bit that was actually on the surface under some leaves (thanks to Brad for the id)

20170117_195618.jpg

20170117_193039.jpg

The rest of the weekend was spent scouting in three other fields on the property with limited results. A couple of buttons, a pocket knife plus the usual suspects.

20170117_202451.jpg 20170117_202601.jpg

Time to find some new sites-that signature has got to go! lol

Last edited:
Upvote 15

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds just by the looks of those relics you will be busy for a good long time Thanks for sharing your finds hope you find some more great stuff!!!!!!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds! that button's gilt is perfect! the knee buckle is a dream find. congrats!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent finds Glenn. That's a great bit and way to go on the knee buckle. Some alloys used back then really stand the test of time. It looks like you nailed the cleaning. Congrats brother

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff buddy. I'm guessing that buckle may indeed be brass based. On the bottom where the pins connect it has that look. I may be wrong and the only way to really know would be to get through that patina which I don't want you to do. I'll have to look at some of my buckles to see if any have a similar look

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buckle!! The alum jelly makes that button POP!!!!! CONGRATZ....

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds just by the looks of those relics you will be busy for a good long time Thanks for sharing your finds hope you find some more great stuff!!!!!!

Thanks A2. I have worked the home site to the point that the good finds are few and far between, but there is a lot of acreage to explore so who knows?

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds! that button's gilt is perfect! the knee buckle is a dream find. congrats!!!

Appreciate it Stef. The button had a whole lot more gilt on the front than I thought-at first it looked like there was none left but the magic aluminum jelly did the trick.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds Glenn. That's a great bit and way to go on the knee buckle. Some alloys used back then really stand the test of time. It looks like you nailed the cleaning. Congrats brother

Thanks Steve. The metal on the bit is unusually gnarly but it doesn't look like it rusted that way-I think the blacksmith made it rough like that for some reason. Never seen a forged object that was finished that way-strange.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff buddy. I'm guessing that buckle may indeed be brass based. On the bottom where the pins connect it has that look. I may be wrong and the only way to really know would be to get through that patina which I don't want you to do. I'll have to look at some of my buckles to see if any have a similar look

Thanks Abe. At this point I think Steve is right about it being some type of alloy, but I don't have a clue what type. And no I don't intend to clean it anymore-the patina is too nice as it is.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate it Stef. The button had a whole lot more gilt on the front than I thought-at first it looked like there was none left but the magic aluminum jelly did the trick.

i have just a flat button with gilt on it that i might have to try aluminum jelly on just to practice..where you usually buy yours from?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt Glenn and I really like your knee buckle. Great job preserving that horse bit too. I mentioned before that the knee buckle could perhaps be made of tombac... which is a brass alloy.

Here are a couple pieces of tombac shoe buckle frames I've found. Since they have a silver color to them and rarely corrode in the soil here, they often fool me in the dirt thinking they might be silver. ha

IMG_20170118_133747.jpg

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have just a flat button with gilt on it that i might have to try aluminum jelly on just to practice..where you usually buy yours from?

I ordered it through Amazon-couldn't find it locally. I was just told that Loctite may not be making it much longer so it might be a good time to order a couple of jars.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Glenn and I really like your knee buckle. Great job preserving that horse bit too. I mentioned before that the knee buckle could perhaps be made of tombac... which is a brass alloy.

Here are a couple pieces of tombac shoe buckle frames I've found. Since they have a silver color to them and rarely corrode in the soil here, they often fool me in the dirt thinking they might be silver. ha

View attachment 1403692

Like you said, that is a real possibility. Looks similar although mine is darker.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Like you said, that is a real possibility. Looks similar although mine is darker.

When mixing the alloys, each maker had different "formulas", and even then the formula varied from batch to batch. I have some tombac buttons that shine like silver, and others that almost look copper like. Some were even diluted with pot metal and quality varied greatly. Yours looks great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions