South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess you would classify this as a surface find.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484762719.077518.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484762736.406913.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484762750.999444.jpg
It is about 200 yards further into the woods (old school yard field) past the ruins of a old one room school house. The school house was in operation from around 1890-1950. Can anyone ID the make and model of this car?

I've done 2 quick lunch hour hunts here and only have been able to pull 2 wheats from the ground, 1944 & 1947. School yard surrounding the ruins is all overgrown myrtle ivy so tuff to get coil within 2-3" of the dirt, losing too much depth unfortunately. Or maybe the kids at this school were poor farm family kids with little $$ I also think the school only had about 20 kids total each year.(from what I have been able to research)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484763316.860354.jpg

Upvote 11
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If i find the keys I bet it will fire right up!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I have to be honest and say I'm not super familiar with MDing over periwinkle but would taking a sheet of plywood and standing on that compress that ivy enough/more? You'd lose 1/4" to the wood but if you can get an inch or more depth, it might get you over a couple more targets...

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go through the car where the seats were there could be silver coins underneath them.Best time of the year NO SNAKES.That carb might be worth a few bucks if you post it on a car forum.Someone could be looking for that piece for a restoration.Should be re-buildable?

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first thought on the car from a distance was it would be a great chance to look for change under the seats. When I got up close I didn't think it would be doable. The roof is collapsed and the floor rotted away so the car is sunk in the dirt 8" deep. If I somehow was able to lift the roof enough for a detector it would be a mixture of rusty metal and dirt. I'm thinking RIP old girl and I'll let Mother Earth continue the recycling project.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a saw zaw and cut the roof off. Sounds like the place has potential. nice finds.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take a few come alongs out and a bumper jack and flip that thing over just to satisfy my curiosity what was under it.But I prospect for gold so always moving boulders around like that to get the goodies hidden below.If it was in a stream bed it would be a good trap.But in the middle of the woods probably do the same let it rust in peace.:laughing7:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the keys.......hot wire that beast.........:laughing7:
Old schools can be deceiving. I know a fella that dug a couple Morgans from an old country school house front yard. He tells me that the play area in the back has never been touched.........and I happen to know the daughter of the current owner.........

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Love stumbling across rusty cars in the woods.. These are no more than 50' off the road in New Hampshire and people drive by there every day and never see them..

Attachments

• resting in the woods-1.jpg
    resting in the woods-1.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 125
  • resting in the woods-3.jpg
    resting in the woods-3.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 124

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you look around to see if you might be able to find a hood ornament ? That would be a nice piece if you collect auto parts found while metal detecting.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pa-dirt nc-sand, nice finds..as for the car, look on the firewall (the large dash-looking expanse in the engine compartment)...it should be "badged". That will give you the maker. ALWAYS check what is left of the interior of cars, including the glove box and floorboards. change DOES exist there many times.

I'm voting 50s Chrysler product, with a slight mid fifties Chevy possibility due to bumper guards .

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That should buff right out!!

Nice wheats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread