More mill town finds

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
I found a few more things on sunday aftrenoon.(Torrero) Richard kicked my tail again!! But it's all in fun!! Here are a couple pics of Sundays and Mondays digs. Richard found a merc dime ....cant remember the date.Here is a couple of pics of the houses that remain.It's the houses that were here before all these and their location that I want to find out!! This site has got to have some old nice things still to be found!! Mondays finds were a little better. Found a nice square with level bubble...not sure if it is old but it's cool. Can't wait to get back in a couple days if I can get the work caught up at home!!

Attachments

• mar 13 finds.jpg
    mar 13 finds.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 257
  • mar14 finds.jpg
    mar14 finds.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 259
  • more abandoned mill houses1.jpg
    more abandoned mill houses1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 249
  • empty mill houses 1.jpg
    empty mill houses 1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 250
  • mill area where houses were.jpg
    mill area where houses were.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 244
  • abandoned mill church.jpg
    abandoned mill church.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a creepy town! Reminds me of the town 'Salem's Lot. Is it completely abandonded? You're really lucky to have a place like this, especially with a church yard to search. Weird that the church looks so good, around here another congregation would hustle right in there! Sara

OP
OP
hikermike

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
There are only a couple of people who still live in this town!! The Mill for the most part is gone(fallen in and burned), but there is an old school and tons of more places I have to check. I get out and talk to the old timersin the area and find where the oldest places were at. This place has been gone over before but its back in the woods where no one hasbeen is what I'm looking for.H.H.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff, and better yet, cool place!

I'd hit every sq. in. of that place no matter if it's been gone over or not! ;D

The way I look at is:

It may have been done before but "It hasn't been done by me and my detector/s yet"!

We have a few towns in MI here like that. I've found some good stuff in the ones I've done.
Check for the local swimming hole! If the lake/pond hasn't been done yet, you're in for some good diggin, and finds!

HH and keep us up dated!

Lonewolfe

D

Darod

I'm with Lonewolfe on this one all the way!

There's more stuff there no matter how many times it's been gone over. Keep in mind that if it's been years since someone checked it out then if you have new equipment your gonna find stuff they missed.

Maybe you can find some records on file at the local property appraisers office. If you can, then you'll most likely be able to find out dates of construction on the houses and buildings/Church. Very helpful indeed :)

Great pics and stuff so far.

You mentioned that the Mill is burned in a colapsed on itself. Can you get some pics of that?

Thanks for sharin'

Rod

M

minelabex1000

I agree with the statements above. Lots of previous hunters doesn't necessarily mean much.

Lots of people go out and swing the coil, few really know what they're doing. Most know almost nothing about ground balance, etc. They just "set it and forget it."

I see very few with real detectors. Most buy those cheap dilly-bob buzz boxes good fer 2 inches depth on a rainy day.

I've hunted parks that hundreds of other people hunted before me and I thought by what I found I was the first to hit the site.

Have you ever just watched people metal detecting? They walk about 3 times too fast and swing their coils like they're swatting butterflies!

Go at those places with a grid and slower pace and get ready to kill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions