Went To An Old Park and Found My “Barber”… Easy on the shave please!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

With the warmer weather in Massachusetts and the latest rain the soil loosened up for digging! Today, I left the campus and went to my favorite old park for some fresh air and perhaps a few keepers. I worked an area towards the middle of the park, this time using the Whites DFX. The clad was flowing until hearing a faint whisper calling to me, so I dug and out came the 1911 Barber dime!

Thanks for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

CAM00970.jpg

Upvote 25

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good day of listening.......and hearing, Doc!!

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello WHATIFIND,

I did not measure the exact depth, but the Garrett carrot's speaker was just below ground level.

Regards,

Doc

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been shaving I'm hoping the good lord will send me a Barber also. I also haven't had my car break down in a long time I have a Honda and he might just to be fair, send me a Mercury !!!!!!!sorry getting carried away nice find great way to start 2017.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver! :headbang:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Doc- I'd say silver in January in Mass is pretty rare- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello WHATIFIND,

I did not measure the exact depth, but the Garrett carrot's speaker was just below ground level.

Regards,

Doc

That's pretty typical for me too. Did it give you a good "dime" type signal or was it more tinny like?

I really enjoy finding the *old* coins! It's the reason I got into this hobby in the first place.
I figured it would be a good way to find some of those glorious old coins that I knew I
could never afford to buy.

Good job!

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice recovery, congratulations.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you could get out. Congrats on the Barber!

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Whadifind,

The dime gave a higher tone, "slightly" faint, but repeatable from multiple angles. I usually dig everything anyway that is deeper, so to me it would have been dug. :icon_thumleft:

Side note: I dig a lot of trash; digging broken, scratchy and odd signals. I have found many very cool coins, jewelry and relics using this method. :occasion14:

You never really know until you dig!

Regards,

Doc

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Whadifind,

The dime gave a higher tone, "slightly" faint, but repeatable from multiple angles. I usually dig everything anyway that is deeper, so to me it would have been dug. :icon_thumleft:

Side note: I dig a lot of trash; digging broken, scratchy and odd signals. I have found many very cool coins, jewelry and relics using this method. :occasion14:

You never really know until you dig!

Regards,

Doc

Lots of truth in that, never know until dug. When I have lots of time and am in no hurry, I dig everything too. But, I do listen to the signal very intently. To learn just what the detector's trying to tell me. That way I learn just how surprising a find can be when they sound bad. But, it also ups my average on times when I am using the discriminator to be efficient for time sake. After all, I spent ALL that money on what I believe to be one of the best discriminators on the market, seems a waste to never use it. ;) I guess I could've just bought a backhoe and a screen. To some that's fun, not my cup-o-tea I guess. :tongue3:

In any case, thanks for the tips! I love to hear what other people hear. :coffee2:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on hearing and digging that Whisper Doc. I always go in boost mode on my detector to see if I can get a better TID on those iffy/whispers.

It might hit 60 degrees tomorrow, I plan on hunting both Sat. & Sun. Hoping your weekend is just as warm.

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! Barber dimes are still one of my favorites for some reason. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread