Rev War Era Rattlesnake Button

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, AT PRO, XP DEUS,CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm reposting this because I had no idea what I found until I posted it with a bunch of other finds. I'm looking for any info I can get and also, should I clean it and if so, with what? Thanks in advance HH ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484950260.764698.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484950285.482845.jpg

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button will turn a few heads on this forum....awesome .

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont clean it is my advice, it is absolutely perfect, shank and all.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im not a button guy but in my opinion that is more awesome and cooler looking than others that have made banner. Seems like a rare one too

Last edited:

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
" How SWEET it ISss!!!!" Ralph Cramdon

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Fabulous button and that belongs up top. Personally I would get it professionally cleaned. No if, and, or buts.

Banner vote inbound

Congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok my friend....get that bad boy professionally done. That is a really really really killer button. I would rather have one rattlesnake over 10 GWs. Just my personal opinion but it should tell you the high regard I and others hold that button in. It's incredible and is a BANNER button no questions asked. That will clean up amazingly well

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since your getting input on cleaning if it is an item that you will keep in your personal collection I never understand the "must get it cleaned" recommendations. First of all no one will guarantee that shank won't break ;2) it will loose any patina and it may look "cleaned" ; 3 ) remember it as you found it; 4) it will be expensive ;5) Ive collected coins for years and I have learned to beware of people calling themselves "professional " restoration experts ....remember unless they restore relics at a museum they are amateurs . Why mess with success again congrats.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since your getting input on cleaning if it is an item that you will keep in your personal collection I never understand the "must get it cleaned" recommendations. First of all no one will guarantee that shank won't break ;2) it will loose any patina and may it look "cleaned" ; 3 ) remember it as you found it; 4) it will be expensive ;5) Ive collected coins for years and I have learned beware of people calling themselves "professional " restoration experts ....remember unless they restore relics at a museum they are amateurs . Why mess with success again congrats.

I understand your point and agree in most circumstances....but here are the reasons I recommend cleaning that button. It looks to be incredibly solid and I don't believe it will be damaged. I also believe that a very light gentle and focused cleaning will greatly enhance the look of that button. Trust me I would never ever want to steer somebody in the wrong direction and ha e them damage an amazing item. I just believe this button could look much better than it already does. Obviously I would do my homework on the person that I would trust with cleaning it. It's always a difficult decision and I certainly respect all opinions. I had to make the difficult decision to "clean" my tree coin. I'm happy with the results and think it looks much better. Some may disagree but I made the decision and accept the results. It's a choice everybody must make and a damn good problem to have

OP
OP
P

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the input and comments, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I know I've never sold anything I've found. It's just cool to have..

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note I just realized that your button has 7 eggs on the inside and 6 on the outside. I dug a button last week with 7 stars on the inside and 6 around the outside. I wondered if it was political in nature and patriotic. That pattern makes me believe it likely is. Thanks for showing us this incredible piece of history.

OP
OP
P

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On another note I just realized that your button has 7 eggs on the inside and 6 on the outside. I dug a button last week with 7 stars on the inside and 6 around the outside. I wondered if it was political in nature and patriotic. That pattern makes me believe it likely is. Thanks for showing us this incredible piece of history.

I just looked at it and counted 6 also then realized the other one is under the shank..

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome 18th century button find! :icon_thumright:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand your point and agree in most circumstances....but here are the reasons I recommend cleaning that button. It looks to be incredibly solid and I don't believe it will be damaged. I also believe that a very light gentle and focused cleaning will greatly enhance the look of that button. Trust me I would never ever want to steer somebody in the wrong direction and ha e them damage an amazing item. I just believe this button could look much better than it already does. Obviously I would do my homework on the person that I would trust with cleaning it. It's always a difficult decision and I certainly respect all opinions. I had to make the difficult decision to "clean" my tree coin. I'm happy with the results and think it looks much better. Some may disagree but I made the decision and accept the results. It's a choice everybody must make and a damn good problem to have

Well put. And to that end, there are a few people on here that can recommend true experts. A few off the top of my head is: BillD, Cannonballguy, and mackydon. Also, what you spend cleaning that button you'll get back in value.

Phenomenal button again!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread