Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So this is a slightly different "find" for me, and here is the back story-

So I am 30 years old and my wife is 33. Her mom (my mom in law) is almost 60 and just lost her husband last week. We have been helping her with a lot of the funeral arrangements and costs of the unfortunate death of my father in law. We've also acquired some random things from their house to make some new room. One of the things we got was a small "piggy bank" my mother In law made in 1972 or 73 when she was a young teen. Sooo, I thought, "hmmm, maybe there's some older goodies in there!" So without breaking the handmade ceramic pig, I spent about 10 minutes carefully fishing out all the coins. There were about 500 coins packed in there and probably 98% pennies. There were a handful of nickels and dimes, but unfortunately NO silvers. However, I was very happy to see that this pig was probably filled up soon after it was completed. Almost every coin was 1973 or prior. Tons or beautiful 60s pennies and early 70s as well. Also scored about 15 nice wheat cents (mostly mid-50s). I started to realize after going through the hundreds of pennies that there was a big handful of 1969 pennies, so I thought, "well, I might as well look for the famous '69-S DD...I'd be stupid not to!" So the search began....

I had a total of (52) 1969 pennies. However, only 31 of them were from the San Fran Mint. Out came my loupe and my mini microscope to carefully look over each obverse and reverse of the coinage. Well, as I suspected, I didn't have a handful of DD 1969 S pennies on my hands! However, there was (1) that caught my eye! It was different from the rest, but wasn't obviously doubled....just some POSSIBLE minor error/doubling/whatever!!

*** I am posting this because I AM NOT AN EXPERT at all on doubling!! This is not my normal hunting, but I'm sure we all keep an eye out for these coins (just in case). I am asking the TNet community for some advice and facts of this topic and what I may have! So please keep the rude comments or the "that's not a '69-S DD penny" remarks outta here! Don't wanna hear it!!! Just want to know what this discrepancy is!! Thank you for reading my long post, and thanks in advance for any replies to my post! Happy hunting to all and be safe!

Sgt Kyle

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485111082.599740.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485111108.404123.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485111123.831257.jpg

The microscope pics are where I noticed the discrepancy. Compared to every other coin I looked at, this one had some differences on the (9) of the 19 and on the (6) in the 69 and also on the (s) mint mark.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I guess nobody had anything nice to say hahahaha. Thanks anyways.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping a coin expert would jump in. It looks natural too me but I am not an expert.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not an expert, but I can tell you "why" nobody else has chimed in yet - your pics don't show the detail quite well enough. I can't tell if the doubling looks rounded or if it looks like one step leading up to the next step. If it's rounded, that's a DD. If it's stepped, that's what they call "Machine Doubling", which has no extra value.

A good site to read up on this is Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties

I take it you're using a magnifier for a cell phone? Might want to invest in a USB microscope. I have this one and it does a pretty nice job. There are others out there that have a heavy metal adjustable base. I tried that - don't waste your time! This all-plastic base does a great job. Goes to 1000x.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DDJAGUS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree take it to a professional you will have so many different opinions. I do see what your talking about but not enough to make it rare just my opinion anyway I hope it is a DD. Thanks for sharing it!!!!!

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not an expert, but I can tell you "why" nobody else has chimed in yet - your pics don't show the detail quite well enough. I can't tell if the doubling looks rounded or if it looks like one step leading up to the next step. If it's rounded, that's a DD. If it's stepped, that's what they call "Machine Doubling", which has no extra value.

A good site to read up on this is Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties

I take it you're using a magnifier for a cell phone? Might want to invest in a USB microscope. I have this one and it does a pretty nice job. There are others out there that have a heavy metal adjustable base. I tried that - don't waste your time! This all-plastic base does a great job. Goes to 1000x.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DDJAGUS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey thanks for responding and giving me some info. Much appreciated!! MACHINE DOUBLING! That was the term I was trying to think of that I had read about a long time ago. I knew that what I have doesn't resemble a true DD obviously, but it was definitely different than the rest; hence why I wanted some feedback! That's why TNet is so great. So many fellow enthusiasts and experts that you can get almost any question answered! I just don't like the piss poor attitudes of some people when you don't have something unique. I'm glad for everyone's feedback, and I agree: it looks like a machine doubling! Hey, definitely worth checking though, right? Thanks again

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And yes one pic is through a 10x loupe and the close ups are through a 100x microscope and cell phone lol. It took about ten tries to even get a shot that good haha. Not the best equipment for this type of work, but again, I'm not a coin roll hunter or coin examiner. Im just a dirty metal detectorist looking for goodies! ;) HH

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions