Warm January Leads to Amazing Spill Including a First

jrmazzeo

Mar 16, 2012
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never been able to hunt in January before due to the frozen ground here in New England. But this has been a very warm January, almost reaching 60 yesterday, so I decided to see if I could hunt the old town common where I live. I live about a half mile from the common but have never tried it during my 5 years detecting because it is on a main road and because I have seen others detecting it; I figured there was nothing left to find. But since a hunt in January is bonus territory I figured I would give it a try.

I first dug a test pit; the ground was not frozen but very wet, ideal for hunting.Within about 5 minutes of arriving I got a reasonably deep 34 on the Safari, which is usually a memorial or an Indian Head. About 5 inches down, was getting a good signal on the pin pointer. Pulled out the dirt and saw a silver rim, which surprised me as they usually ring up 36-39. It was a very nice 1854 seated dime with arrows. Thinking that there might have been something in with it, put the pin pointer back in the hole and was still getting a good signal. Pulled out a handful of dirt, swung it over the coil, and was getting a nickel signal (14). I noticed a shiny small disc, which I figured was a piece of junk. But on closer inspection it was an 1852 three cent piece! I have never found one before, probably because I don't usually dig nickel signals. What a spill!

Also found the dropped minie ball, a 1930 Merc, a small silver ring, and something that was deep and probably brass that I am posting to see if anyone has an idea of what it is.

Great hunt at my local common. It is supposed to stay warm all week so I will be headed back next weekend. Gotta watch the FB games now. Go Pats!

Attachments

• 1-22-2017 all.JPG
    1-22-2017 all.JPG
    523.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 1-22-2017 spill front.JPG
    1-22-2017 spill front.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 1-22-2017 spill back.JPG
    1-22-2017 spill back.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 23

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge congrats to you!..... the seated is gorgeous, but the trine is the winner!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Just posted a similar thread about the thawed ground here in Mass, gotta love it. Those are some sweet find, super hard to find the three-centers, congrats. Game starts at 6:40 tonight, should be a good one!

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll be digging them now. With the nickels comes the gold brother :goldcoin:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing. Ive got my sights set on a few places in central mass. Im hoping to find my first seated this year. Great job digging those silvers.

Cheffer, your key date Barber is amazing as well.

You guys in mass are killing it.

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
i would like a couple better pictures of the brass item,, looks like it could be a ring that goes around a muzzle loading ramrod and the lug might drive into the front of the stock. It looks like the same diameter as the bullet ........... sounds plausible to me

Last edited:

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weather is nuts. I was in the woods the other day and in most spots there was no frost. Definitely deeper in grassy areas though. Not sure how deep but I bet it's not much. 3 winters ago there were frozen water lines on my street at 6+ feet. Looks like you had an awesome day! Looking forward to your repeat!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt and Sweet spill!! Love that seated but, I'd want to see that trime in one of my holes.
Nice ring, merc and lead too!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely amazing finds- Congrats neighbor!! Super Bowl win #5 for Brady sound good?? Hopefully he gets it then tells Goodell to (fill in the blank!).

-- Jeff --

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! Congrats!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions