Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple hours in a Colonial Cornfield - Luckenbooth brooch and silver cufflink!

This past Saturday was a warm sunny day, perfect digging weather. When you get these kinds of days in January you have to take advantage of them. I met up with a couple local diggers and we tried to locate an early site based off a 1792 map, but were not successful. Then we investigated a large depression that looked promising on aerial views, but turned out to be a natural feature rather than man made. So in order to save the day, John and Jim invited me to hunt a relatively new site they had found, which had given up a number of toasted coppers, dandy and tombac buttons, and other late 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century relics. Even though they had hit the site fairly hard recently, and the field was a soggy mess with corn stubble, we all managed to find some relics.

Here is a group shot of our finds. My finds are in the middle.
1-22-17 All.jpg

My finds including the base of a crude black glass bottle and some other glass and pottery
Mine all.JPG

Another shot of my finds - keg spigot cap at the top, copper, dandy button, and flat button in second row, silver cufflink, part of a silver brooch and small tombac on the bottom row.
Mine.JPG

The broken silver brooch may be a Luckenbooth brooch with engraved initials "WM"
crown front.JPG
Crown back.JPG

Silver cufflink with what appears to be a bird and some flowers
Cufflink.JPG

Nice dandy button with design
Dandy.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 29

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I'm loving that silver link. I've yet to find one. Great dandies and that silver brooch sure has the look of a luckenbooth. Nice digs buddy!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt in a Colonial Cornfield! Colonial Cornfield has such a nice ring to it. :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of good Silver finds, and I think your right about it. I've not got a silver link either, my buddy dug a set.
Good just to get out like you said.
Your lucky to have maps so old, the only ones I can get that have any real value (accuracy) are much newer. The only real early ones I can find are fairly crude, and of poor scale.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of good Silver finds, and I think your right about it. I've not got a silver link either, my buddy dug a set.
Good just to get out like you said.
Your lucky to have maps so old, the only ones I can get that have any real value (accuracy) are much newer. The only real early ones I can find are fairly crude, and of poor scale.

Thanks Rick. The 1792 map I referred to is really not that accurate. It only shows the major landmarks and prominent settlers places. We thought we could find this place because it showed near a fork in a stream.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I'm loving that silver link. I've yet to find one. Great dandies and that silver brooch sure has the look of a luckenbooth. Nice digs buddy!

Thanks Steve. This spot has given up three silver oval cufflinks now, all different. Jim also found one on Saturday and he had found one on an earlier trip that had engraved initials. Despite all the silver cufflinks and coppers, no Spanish silver has been found there yet.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Great digs Steve! It sure looks like one of those Luckenbooth's silvers! Silver cufflinks are one of my favorite things to see posted! Gotta get one. Congrats!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I really want to find a silver link. I have the half real link but I really want a hand etched link. That's for sure a Luckenbooth fragment. Too bad the plow hit that sucker. I've never hunted a plowed field so I've never had to deal with plow damage....but some of the best finds come from those spots. Hope you find a complete one some day buddy

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds... It is a weird feeling detecting in Jan here in Pa. but i like it..

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Steve. I agree that it looks like a trade brooch. I need to get with you and do some digging.

I have a nice early 1800 farm site I could bring you too as well

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Steve. I agree that it looks like a trade brooch. I need to get with you and do some digging.

I have a nice early 1800 farm site I could bring you too as well

Turbo, this stuff was dug about 75 miles east of Pittsburgh. Maybe we can get together this spring and hit a place closer to Pittsburgh.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great bunch of finds. Love the dandy button. I'm still searching for one of those. Congrats!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really glad to hear that your friends helped you to salvage the day. Those are some nice finds.
Congrats

Last edited:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how I missed this. Great link Steve and that pin would have lights-out awesome if it were whole.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turbo, this stuff was dug about 75 miles east of Pittsburgh. Maybe we can get together this spring and hit a place closer to Pittsburgh.

Sounds good. I am pretty limited on spots. But I do have the early 1800s farm we could hunt. Just a cellar hole now. And have pulled some large cents from there. Tons and tons of iron

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I really want to find a silver link. I have the half real link but I really want a hand etched link. That's for sure a Luckenbooth fragment. Too bad the plow hit that sucker. I've never hunted a plowed field so I've never had to deal with plow damage....but some of the best finds come from those spots. Hope you find a complete one some day buddy

Thanks Abe, It's just a matter of time until you nab that silver cufflink. The Luckenbooth Brooches are coming in bunches. I think mine would have been a nice fancy one.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take quality over quantity any day Steve, gorgeous silver link and of course your partial Luckenbooth is killer...get back out there and find the other piece:occasion14:

Thanks, but I think it might be pretty tough to find any other pieces of this brooch. I dug a Pepsi can at 18 inches so I think the plow has distributed the remaining pieces potentially pretty deep!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions