Yet another Luckenbooth Trade Silver....I think?

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again to VMI Digger for posting his spectacular Luckenbooth Brooch Trade Silver. Be sure to check out his post...I don't want to steal his thunder! When I saw that post I realized instantly that I had found something VERY similar last year and had not even given it a second thought. I knew it was silver but had no idea of the possible age and importance of the find. I dug it in a farm field that had also produced other Colonial era relics such as my first complete 1600's spectacle buckle and a Draped Bust LC. Looking more closely at the piece now I can see it is rather crudely made and does seem old. The pin is missing, and I've never cleaned it as you can see from this pics...the dirt is still in the crevices. Any insights from the experts on exactly what I have here will be welcomed. Thanks, GL and HH!

Attachments

• trade silver 1.jpg
    trade silver 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 147
  • trade silver 2.jpg
    trade silver 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Upvote 17

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's that they're being misidentified. The colonial Luckenbooth brooch like VMIDigger found, with the early clasp, is rare. But a silver heart shaped pin is not! You can still buy one like that today. So I think most of what's being found are later style heart shaped brooches.

The early clasp you're referring to is a repair job with contemporary wire. The original tongue is missing on VMIDigger's example.
I have found quite a few trade brooches that have wire tongues because the silver ones often came loose and fell off.
If the original owner of Mr.Digger's brooch took off the broken lever parts and wrapped wire around, we'd nearly have the same brooch!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The early clasp you're referring to is a repair job with contemporary wire. The original tongue is missing on VMIDigger's example.
I have found quite a few trade brooches that have wire tongues because the silver ones often came loose and fell off.
If the original owner of Mr.Digger's brooch took off the broken lever parts and wrapped wire around, we'd nearly have the same brooch!

With the exception that VMI's is grooved in the style used back in colonial days (and earlier) where the tongue would wrap.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The early clasp I am referring to is by design and quite different than the tube hinge clasp on the brooch in this thread. Whether the wire on VMIDiggers used to be silver and was replaced with a brass wire, doesn't change the design of the clasp. Which has a smaller frame with the pin wrapped around the frame.

Here are the clasps on the early Luckenbooth brooches.

14851049362952015593192.jpg

The tube hinge on the brooch in this thread is later.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The early clasp I am referring to is by design and quite different than the tube hinge clasp on the brooch in this thread. Whether the wire on VMIDiggers used to be silver and was replaced with a brass wire, doesn't change the design of the clasp. Which has a smaller frame with the pin wrapped around the frame.

Here are the clasps on the early Luckenbooth brooches.

View attachment 1407053

The tube hinge on the brooch in this thread is later.

That's hilarious we were responding with the same info at the same time B-rad. Although your writing is much more eloquent!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, and a great dialog on the trade silver. Learning more every day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread