Yet another Luckenbooth Trade Silver....I think?

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again to VMI Digger for posting his spectacular Luckenbooth Brooch Trade Silver. Be sure to check out his post...I don't want to steal his thunder! When I saw that post I realized instantly that I had found something VERY similar last year and had not even given it a second thought. I knew it was silver but had no idea of the possible age and importance of the find. I dug it in a farm field that had also produced other Colonial era relics such as my first complete 1600's spectacle buckle and a Draped Bust LC. Looking more closely at the piece now I can see it is rather crudely made and does seem old. The pin is missing, and I've never cleaned it as you can see from this pics...the dirt is still in the crevices. Any insights from the experts on exactly what I have here will be welcomed. Thanks, GL and HH!

Attachments

• trade silver 1.jpg
    trade silver 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 147
  • trade silver 2.jpg
    trade silver 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Upvote 17

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! Definitely another Lukenbooth. Great find.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the great find! :occasion14:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that one is different! Never seen a "trade" brooch with that type of backing before. All the ones I have found or seen have a slot where the tongue wraps around.
I don't think it's a modern pin lever but an older version that locks into the holes.
Don't worry about stealing thunder........
It's cool that these brooches are popping up lately for COLONIAL hunters but some of us fur trade guys might have more than one thinks. :wink:
Awesome find!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is getting a bit crazy, what's that now 6!

CONGRATS

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazingly I would never have given a such silver heart pin very much thought - They look like the little pieces of jewelry you'd find in the wood chips at a tot lot. I am learning something new each day at TNet! Glad you found yourself a Lukenbooth Trade Silver too Mr. Digger! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed a very nice Luckenbooth brooch. If you want to clean the nooks and crannies on the front use lemon juice on a soft toothbrush. Just don't get too crazy with it or it will get shiny which you don't want. I gave mine a brief lemon juice bath as mine was quite dark. Killer piece

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got one last year too in the fall, didn't know what it was until now. Thanks! :)

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the tube hinge on yours most likely dates to the mid to late 1800's. I have a few love tokens from that period with the same hinge style. I'm no expert, but yours might just be a Victorian era heart pin or brooch.

Screenshot_20170124-200636~2.png

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is getting a bit crazy, what's that now 6!

CONGRATS
Not including the two I found, that went with the 2lbs of silver jewelry to the scrap dealer. I had no idea what I had:BangHead:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like these are not so rare or perhaps many of them are not as early as we would hope for

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like these are not so rare or perhaps many of them are not as early as we would hope for

I think it's that they're being misidentified. The colonial Luckenbooth brooch like VMIDigger found, with the early clasp, is rare. But a silver heart shaped pin is not! You can still buy one like that today. So I think most of what's being found are later style heart shaped brooches.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, I only post with info you may find interesting..

I found a similar early silver heart 15 years ago, and had some help in finally learning what "mine" was used for. The one I have does not have the crown. The crown normally shows up on the hearts that were to show love to your betrothed....as in a couple, in love.

The ones without the crown are for a different reason. As you all know, infant and child mortality was common. The heart was pinned to a newborns swaddling blanket to "protect" that infant. I've yet to see one with any sort of locking clasp like a woman's brooch, they are merely"pinned" to the swaddling cloth with the simple cross piece.

Mine was found adjacent to one of the remaining rural wooded sections of the "Connecticut Path" which was first used in 1638 by the original settlers of the Connecticut colonies of Windsor and Wethersfield, who left Newtown Mass, on a 28 day trek. The path was then used much more than a century, so mine may, or may not be related to early travelers....or know which "early"century.

Mine is my favorite lifetime find and I posted it on that favorite thread in the past. It means a lot more to me, as I think of how it was pinned to an infant, hundreds of years ago by a mother facing new-world life's challenges.

These are very special early finds in my humble opinion.

Pics below. please note that the heart was found in the open position, and the needle thick iron hinge pin crumbled as I held it. It shows a toothpick holding the crossbar. (I've since used a real pin)

Attachments

• DSCN1264.jpg
    DSCN1264.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN1263.jpg
    DSCN1263.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0486.JPG
    DSCN0486.JPG
    614.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN0492.JPG
    DSCN0492.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0491.JPG
    DSCN0491.JPG
    482.3 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
Mr. Digger

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I only post with info you may find interesting..

I found a similar early silver heart 15 years ago, and had some help in finally learning what "mine" was used for. The one I have does not have the crown. The crown normally shows up on the hearts that were to show love to your betrothed....as in a couple, in love.

The ones without the crown are for a different reason. As you all know, infant and child mortality was common. The heart was pinned to a newborns swaddling blanket to "protect" that infant. I've yet to see one with any sort of locking clasp like a woman's brooch, they are merely"pinned" to the swaddling cloth with the simple cross piece.

Mine was found adjacent to one of the remaining rural wooded sections of the "Connecticut Path" which was first used in 1638 by the original settlers of the Connecticut colonies of Windsor and Wethersfield, who left Newtown Mass, on a 28 day trek. The path was then used much more than a century, so mine may, or may not be related to early travelers....or know which "early"century.

Mine is my favorite lifetime find and I posted it on that favorite thread in the past. It means a lot more to me, as I think of how it was pinned to an infant, hundreds of years ago by a mother facing new-world life's challenges.

These are very special early finds in my humble opinion.

Pics below. please note that the heart was found in the open position, and the needle thick iron hinge pin crumbled as I held it. It shows a toothpick holding the crossbar. (I've since used a real pin)

Thanks for the info, CTwoods....and to everyone else as well for their posts and inputs. This is a great forum and I knew I would learn a great deal by posting my find. I concede that it is unlikely to be a old enough (or in the style) to be trade silver but I'm glad to learn it may have some age to it and the special meaning of the piece as highlight by CTwoods is fascinating. Thanks all.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
but I'm glad to learn it may have some age to it and the special meaning of the piece .

I certainly feel it is of colonial age or darn close. I am pretty excited to see one found in Mass. If you recall the old Treasure Depot, there was a guy from Salem Mass, name Scott. Back when I posted mine there, Scott claimed his silver knee buckle made in Boston, has to be the same silversmith that made mine. He did post a pic, but I'm no expert on such tiny hand tooled impressions on both pieces.

I hope you find time to try to learn more about Mass silver, and perhaps a way to compare hand work on early silver items. (and share what you find out)

Just imagine how concerned a Mother with a newborn was, back then. I would have to think the same heart was used on each newborn she had. Just think about that... :) .... Very fascinating Mass/New England history you saved from the soil. Congrats

EDIT to add:

I forgot to give the actual name of these. Witch's Heart

http://www.bmjnyc.com/blogs/blog/52481349-witch-s-heart-jewelry-and-other-antique-heart-jewels

From there:

"A variation on the Georgian open heart brooch was the witch’s heart. In these pieces, the tail of the heart twist to one direction (usually the right). This style gained popularity in Scotland in the 17th century and was named “Luckenbooth” after the closed booths in Edinburgh where they were sold. Witch’s hearts were initially worn to protect loved ones from evil spirits. Tiny witch’s hearts were pinned to baby’s blankets to ward off dark forces."

And:

"By the 18th century, the witch’s heart took on a new meaning. Lovers gifted each other with witch’s hearts as love token to symbolize that they’d been “bewitched” with love. There were typically made with garnets and often crowned (a symbol of loyalty). Double-hearted witch’s hearts symbolized serious commitment, like betrothal or marriage."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread