Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted with another detectorist on Saturday with the plan of splitting the time between the Baltimore County site I've been hitting lately and a permission of my fellow detectorist in the afternoon; that permission is north of the Mason-Dixon line. The morning was cold and cloudy with temps in the 30s and the farm fields were acting just like farm fields, yielding good targets in small quantities. The highlight for my co-detectorist was an 1858 Flying Eagle cent. I came away with a lantern part, large flat button, and a horse bridle rivet. I was told at the end of the hunt that "it was a miracle" that I've been able to pull as many old coins as I have from that site.

The expectation heading north from there that the permission site would be much more productive. An early lunch and then on to the hunt site to the start of an afternoon hunt that was to prove a profound experience. This site sits high on a hill overlooking the countryside to the west and north. Still cold ouside but warmed after lunch I started and the first good target I dug was a pulled Minie ball. Things got a little quiet for me but my co-digger was starting to dig one Minie ball after another.

We stayed pretty much in one area, no larger than an eighth of an acre and were really onto a small "hot spot". I recovered some relics that were unknown to me at the time but turned out to be a top to a match safe and the other, a latch to a cartridge case, then a harmonica reed piece. The hunt was far from over. I heard a good signal and looked to the ground to see a shiny lady Liberty seated looking up at me, just right there on the surface, no digging required, obviously turned up by the plow; the coin turned out to be an 1856 quarter.

There was a flurry of Minie ball finds after that that added four to my total for the afternoon. I had mixed emotions over finding the quarter, but this was not my permission and my host had not found silver on the day. That changed in short order when I went over to see a seated dime in the hand, also from the 1850s.

When I consider the relics I dug from that spot and that each one was very possibly in the hand of someone who served during the Civil War it gave me pause to think about those men, realizing that they may have been on their way to Gettysburg, or perhaps, were among the survivors on their way back, perhaps some never made it home. Either way, it was humbling to recover these.

Many thanks to smokeythecat for the generous permission and a day of camaraderie.
Civil War finds.jpg CWfindsB.jpg AgFarm.jpg

Here's the dig of the first Minie ball of the day:

Last edited:
Upvote 33

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything has a story, McCDig.........I often wonder how items passed from hand to ground and the circumstances of the life they had before before their internment.
Congrats and thanks on a great narrative of your hunt.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Hello McCDig, Well done. Lots of nice finds, coins, relics, and bullets. I have mixed notions about finding Civil War bullets similar as to your thoughts when you find solider's personal artifacts. Dropped lead is one thing, and a great prize. Fired bullets are another. Those big chunks of lead did some horrible damage. Every man killed or wounded during the "American War Between the States" was an AMERICAN! God rest their souls.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Jackalope! It was an amazing hunt up in PA. Exceeded my expectations.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Chizzy! Our story is as unique (and valuable) as theirs; however, they certainly passed through a time in American history that demanded more of its citizens and was a perilous time for our young nation. Makes me thankful for our patriots and thoughtful of my responsibilities.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Art! Had not done much of any "Civil War" sites but this outing doubled my Minie ball collection and gave me my oldest U.S. issue silver.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx wagbert! You said it succinctly. Appreciate your thoughts as a backdrop to this hunt.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great hunt! I often dig something from a CW site, stand with it in my hand, look around me and reflect. We owe them that. Congrats

HH, RN

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx relic nut! Yes, I was struck with the same sense in the moment.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a good time too. Several minies, a couple "whatzits", we had fun semi-digging a tractor seat belt and I got a toasted 1858 Flying Eagle Cent and 1 decent 1856 dime. I think this is my first one, the other one I got awhile, if memory serves, was a halfdime. Well, off to dig tomorrow! Different place. Want to see what last week's noe'easter did to the beach. There are LOTS of coin type I have never dug, but more will come.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're doing well with that Deus. I expect many more great finds to come! Thanks, again, for the joint hunt and opportunity to detect your permission!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Hunt and thanks for sharing your thoughts. My imagination often runs wild about the past at places I hunt. I have never been to a CW site myself but I would love to have the opportunity someday. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is this one place along the lower Susquehanna River that has been inhabited pretty much continuously since, probably, the Ark. American Indians, coming and going and staying. Points found from Paleo to historic. Captain John Smith came up the river that far. The Spanish were there in the 1500's. Trade items have been found. When you get in the area there is an atmosphere that at times is almost oppressive. It's like you're being watched, I mean this is one of the oldest continuously inhabited places in North America. You can still almost imagine the shock of the locals when the first SHIP anybody in the New World ever saw sailing up the river! They're all buried nearby, somewhere, forgotten.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing the story and finds! :occasion14:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, whenever we reach into the past and pull something forward into the present, it is an awesome experience. Especially if you take a moment to reflect.

Beautiful looking out from those fields, isn't it, wonder what they saw when they looked out from there back then. :)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now that's what I call a memorable hunt
someday I hope to find such historic artifacts

Top Member Reactions