Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my usual one bag of jewelry a month. They actually hold it in the back and save it for me

Right on top I spot an old pocket watch. And could tell it was gold right away

Elgin pocket watch. Serial.number indicates it was made in 1926. 9 gram 10k gold chain. And the watch case is 14k. It is not running and the glass is missing. So I might just scrap it

Anyone have an idea on what this thing is worth. I haven't finished searching the bag yet so there may be more gold to find!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485907666.352858.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485907695.275807.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485907743.178346.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485907838.839352.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485907855.114779.jpg

Upvote 19

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my thoughts! Most Elgin Pocket Watches that came in 14kt Gold Cases almost always have a higher quality Elgin Pocket Watch Movement inside. Since I can't find my' NAWCC Book, I can't determine which movement is in the Pocket Watch Case you got in the bag at the Thrift Store. However, I believe that it is a fairly common, lower quality and lower value Open Face Movement which replaced the original movement in the case but I could be wrong and there are websites where you can determine what Movement it is and date it was produced by entering the Serial Number. Also, who knows if the Case ever even came with an Elgin Movement as Keystone made a lot of Pocket Watch Cases for a lot of different Makers. My recommendation would be to remove the movement from the case, so that you can the true weight and Gold value out of the case, then sell the movement online or elsewhere to someone who wants the movement for parts or to repair. I believe that in this way, you get an even better win...win situation!

Frank
^there is some wisdom here^

Check also online for folks that are into collecting/restoring older Elgin's...while not the MOST sought after watch by PW collectors, they do have a very loyal and large following. When we lived in Orlando, there was a jeweler in downtown that still restored and cleaned the watches, and brought most back to life....those kind of folks are getting scarce, but are still around. If you want the real sale value of the piece, you will need to do a bit more digging to see what you have, as Frank suggested above. Then post it on an Elgin collector's board....it would be worth the time/expense.

Oh and, NICE FIND!

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Movement is from 1926. And watch case is from. 1885-1927. So could be a match.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485984235.123786.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485984250.457733.jpg

What do you think?

Also. I tested the case for gold content and it passes for 14k

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485984286.242549.jpg

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an easy way to remove the case without damaging it?

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an easy way to remove the case without damaging it?
if you mean the movement in the case, there will either be a detent lever or a small flat-blade screw that will allow the crown (winding stem, if you will) to be removed...look on the inside of the reverse (case) side of the movement. You can google or watch videos online on the how-to, but be aware that it should probably be done by someone who has done it before, or is at least familiar with the process.

Still think you have found a winner of a watch, not just the salvage materials, Turbo 21...nicely done.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't scrap it. It's a nice watch. Will be worth even more in years to come

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Although the movement was actually made in 1925 and the case could have been produced anytime from 1885 to 1927, I still do not think the movement is original to the case. If the case is in really nice condition which the pics do not show, then purchase a low production, better grade and more sought after working Elgin 17J 364 movement which is Gilded and more appropriate to the case. Make sure you get one with a prefect white Dial with black numbers just like the Railroad Pocket Watches have or even a fancy Dial with black numbers. Don't forget to get a nice glass crystal. You could then sell the pocket watch at a really nice premium or in reality, you would probably want to keep it.

[ELGIN] Online Elgin Database

Frank

Last edited:

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Sorry for such a long delay....5 teenagers and a busy few months at work have had me pretty busy the last few months. Pocketwatchdatabase.com is a good place to start with. There you can research the watches themselves so you know more about what your dealing with. From there eBay is a good source of what they are selling for. I use the database site to research what I am looking at buying on eBay. The 3 most important factors are if the watch is running.....total number produced....and condition and material the case is made of. People often don't realize what they have when they throw it up on ebay. I recently made out well on eBay with an 1883 Elgin 18s (big watch) double hunter solid 10k gold pocket watch with a very low production of 3,800.....for $29......spent an hour on disassembling cleaning and reassembling......runs perfectly.

Also......Elgin rarely cased their own movements. That was usually done locally at the point of sale.

Removing the movement from the case is easy.....pull the stem out as if you were going to set the time.....there will be 2 case mount screws that you will see from the back.....if they are half head screws you only have to move them a half a turn......if they are full head screws you completely remove them.....then the movement will come out from the front. Take your time and don't force anything....they are pretty easy to work on.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread