Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been poking around spanish wells with my metal detector. Its been tough with just a few clad finds but today I started in a much older section of town. Ive been working the beach and finding evidence of older habitation. Older bits of pottery and glass, pieces of depression glass, pottery, and this morning some larger pieces of conglomerate in waist deep water. One piece of conglomerate looked like it might be somthing good and was quite heavy. So ive been cleaning my finds up and finally got to the conglomerates. I was kidding with my captain that one of them looked like it could be a small statue. We'll surprise surprise. After a good wack with a hammer out pops a face staring back at me. I have no idea what this is but im going to have to slow down and remove the crust carfully from here on out. View attachment 1409572
View attachment 1409573
I call these bahamian cryers broken case gin bottles, got to get in deeper water to get the whole ones. View attachment 1409574
Lots of broken china and pott shards.
View attachment 1409575 lots of bottles. Still zeroing in on the older ones , so I only brought a few home with a couple marbles too.and then there was the conglomerates. Ive learned from living in the keys that coins can often be concealed in these conglomerates, so I awlway bring them home for closer examination. photo-365.JPG
photo-364.JPG
photo-363.JPG
If anyone has any idea let me know? I'll post pics as I remove the crustation. Im hopeing its a penny bank filled with coins, lol !! But im leaning toward a corn bread mold !! Who knows. Sorry the other pics aren't visable immediately.

Upvote 14

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Let us know what it turns out to be.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it turned out to be a silver plated penny bank !!!! photo-373.JPG
photo-374.JPG
photo-371.JPG
photo-372.JPG
Im still cleaning and trying to read the hallmarks. Unfortunately there were no coins inside. Oh well, you win some you lose some. Would have been a great cache. Next time. Still very happy with this find, its old and im still trying to figure out the details. Im leaning toward silver plated but there is a slight chance its sterling. Still cleaning !!!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, I really like the bank.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you cleaning the encrustations off? Sure is looking good.
Well it turned out to be a silver plated penny bank !!!! View attachment 1409592
View attachment 1409593
View attachment 1409595
View attachment 1409597
Im still cleaning and trying to read the hallmarks. Unfortunately there were no coins inside. Oh well, you win some you lose some. Would have been a great cache. Next time. Still very happy with this find, its old and im still trying to figure out the details. Im leaning toward silver plated but there is a slight chance its sterling. Still cleaning !!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool bank, I found one a while back and there was no booty in it either. At least yours has a "booty".:laughing7:

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A mild acid bath and careful chiping. Appears to be silver plated brass, or bronze. Once the crust is cracked the acid seeps between the metal and sulfide and it starts to chip off in chunks. Soak chip rinse and repeat. I love this little bank!!!! This little bahama ma ma is gonna get filled with my bahamian clad finds once its cleaned up.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Always fun reading your posts Bart! Excellent!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread