Found a Winchester 1905 WSL rifle and Colt 1911 .45!

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
We are still in disbelief! I spent Saturday with a friend new to detecting/ treasure hunting and through his research found some likely areas to hunt. We left for the hills 6am to beat the heat and by 11am we had found these firearms! We were wandering up a steep ridge where he spotted a bent pipe looking object the approximate size of an exhaust pipe, examining it closely we saw more decorative features on the ends and realized it was an old head board to a cast iron bed. We then found the twisted wire section that went with it and could tell it had been in a fire. Several feet up the hill we spotted some other metal objects poking out of the pine needles and after moving the needles and miscellaneous junque aside we could see the remains of ashes and burned wood, I pulled on the end of a piece of metal and out popped the remains of the rifle ! Spence said my expression was priceless! Complete surprise, disbelief and high fives! After examining the piece and calming down slightly we started pulling more material loose and he pulls out the handgun! Now I knew what my expression looked like LOL! The gun still had a loaded magazine in it and the bulge in the grip confirmed the fire damage. We spent another fifteen minutes scratching around but found only melted crapue. We then headed out to other sites we had on the map befor the temperature rose any more. We’ll definitely go back with the detector next time and get more photo’s, hope you enjoyed the post, Scott

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,875
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 6,372
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 25,896
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 5,199
Upvote 0

D REX

Greenie
Oct 21, 2005
Two weapons in a hole like that smells like crime to me. I would bet they were buried so that police would not find them, and get the forensics. I would alert your local law enforcement and turn them over. At least that is what I would do. :o

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
D REX said:
Two weapons in a hole like that smells like crime to me. I would bet they were buried so that police would not find them, and get the forensics. I would alert your local law enforcement and turn them over. At least that is what I would do. :o
X2

OP
OP
theloadroom

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
D REX said:

Possible but not likley as it was a very old area of activity last used in the 40's-50's overgrown with alot of brush and other pieces suggest an old shack burnt down ie.. knob and tube wiring insulators etc..

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Because of the age of the guns I wouldnt really think crime...if they were newer then I might...But I would go back and hunt that area more thouroughly...It looks by your description that a fire took place and maybe the owner died....few men would leave their guns. I think I would research the site and see if the owner in fact died in the fire....because that would mean that there is possibley more than just guns left. Silver, jewelry whatever....more should be there.

OP
OP
theloadroom

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
I agree gypsyheart, they were left on the surface when originally dumped, the pine needles were about all that had covered them in the last 50-75 years and there was a small flat area approx. 30'x30' immediatley above it. ;)

OP
OP
theloadroom

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
lost at sea said:
What an outstanding find! Those are definatly worth displaying.

Thanks lost at sea! They'll be placed in a shadow box for sure, I hate to see them seperated but we each discovered one so that's the way it is, I was feeling bad for a minute that I had found the really cool relic so it really was a relief when he pulled out the 45 LOL ;D He said it had been a dream of his for ever (he's 21 :P) to find a firearm in the forrest so one goal achieved!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Congrats to the both of you! What a find, you made my day by just posting the story and pictures. Going to look good on display. WTG... :)

Desertfox

OP
OP
theloadroom

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
desertfox said:
Congrats to the both of you! What a find, you made my day by just posting the story and pictures. Going to look good on display. WTG... :)

Desertfox

Thankyou Desertfox! I hope we haven't burned up all our good luck Karma yet!

OP
OP
theloadroom

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the comments iwannafindsome and GoldFever ! ;)

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Great finds and pictures.

I would definately go back and dig around more like Gypsyheart suggested. It would be cool do some research on the place and what might have caused the fire and if there were any deaths there. Might even be able to date the site with some research. I can help you with reseaching if you want and see what I can come up with thru the internet.

If a hole was dug and the guns were deliberately hidden away from the house/shack then that may mean something different but as it looks now, I would not think crime either. Maybe the family figured that everything was lost/destroyed and wasn't worth salvaging so they just left it all where it was.

I bet there is more there, so get back out there and find it ;D

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
GREAT FINDS! I spend a lot of time in the mountains, but have never found any guns. Did you go North or South of town? It is amazing how much stuff is still out there, just waiting for us to find it. You may have found a virgin site that hasn't been metal detected, go get some silver!

HH
MC

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Like others have said, I would get there and pull it apart. Good luck and HH, Mike

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
WOW!! Those are awesome! Can't wait to find someting that cool!
Gotta get back there soon...
HH
Baggins

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one special site you have there.... Special for researching and special for detecting. It should keep you busy for some time to come, I will be following this story for sure. Good luck in your future trips.

God bless
Peter

r49miner

Sep 12, 2006
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, I didn't relize you were the one that found it. If I had known you knew about such great places to MD, I'd of sold my home and moved to ##### sooner. LOL

OP
OP
theloadroom

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Strawboss said:
Scott, I didn't relize you were the one that found it. If I had known you knew about such great places to MD, I'd of sold my home and moved to ##### sooner. LOL

Does that mean you'll be my friend now? :P If I tie my detector around my neck will you play with me? :-X

musclecar:
Did you go North or South of town?

uhhhh yes... ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions