Two short hunts produced 2 silvers, pile of clad, hem weight, and some cool artifacts

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is two short hunts finds from local parks. Found 66 clad coins for $3.69, an old buckle, several newer tokens, and one older token, Standard Oil Company El Paso, Texas, 25 years of progress, dated 1928 to 1953. This is aluminum and in pretty toasted shape, but cleaned up good enough to read. The two silvers were a 1943S war nickel and a 1903 Barber dime. Also found a number 3 hem weight for a ladies dress. I believe the large pear shaped item is either a Zaandam clock weight or an old plumb bob. It is solid copper with a threaded hole in the bottom. Any IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0003 (1).JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0002 (1).JPG IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0011.JPG other ideas would be much appreciated. The last item is a whatsit. It is star shaped with the words Commercial, 51, Phoenix A.T. I tried to research it but came up with no idea what it was for. The back of it has a company that made it, and it says L A Rubberstamp Co., L. A , California. Any idea what this is would also be really appreciated. I did find the company that made this star shaped tag and it seems that it went out of business around 1920. They also made law enforcement badges . I found the old book listing what they made and they want $350.00 just for the old book. With the help of fellow T-netters, I just did the research on the star shaped tag I found and wasn't sure about. It turned out to be a key fob for the old Commercial Hotel in Phoenix, Az before Az became a state, thus A.T. on the fob. Arizona Territory. The fob would have to date between 1887 when the hotel was built and 1912 when Arizona became a state, give or take a few years. Thanks again to all who helped with this. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 13

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

Maybe your star thing is a key fob?

Here's something that seems close.

COMMERCIAL HOTEL.jpg

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems pretty large for a key fob. I should have posted something with it to give an idea of size. Thanks for the input.

Well, if it's not super large, hotel keys tend to have a rather large tag/fob to keep them from getting lost.
If it is really big, maybe it has something to do with roadways? Like the commercial part of say route 51?

Sorry, just trying. Neat to have, regardless.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ideas. It gives me something to look into.
Well, if it's not super large, hotel keys tend to have a rather large tag/fob to keep them from getting lost.
If it is really big, maybe it has something to do with roadways? Like the commercial part of say route 51?

Sorry, just trying. Neat to have, regardless.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME key fob, to me that is the "star" of the hunt. AT for Arizona Territory, which would have been before statehood in 1912. LA Rubber Stamp Co. is the correct name of the manufacturing company during that time period (early 1900's) The company was renamed LA Stamp and Stationery in the 30's. I agree with Johncoho, it is from the Commercial Hotel. Wow what a cool old west find. Sub 8-)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME key fob, to me that is the "star" of the hunt. AT for Arizona Territory, which would have been before statehood in 1912. LA Rubber Stamp Co. is the correct name of the manufacturing company during that time period (early 1900's) The company was renamed LA Stamp and Stationery in the 30's. I agree with Johncoho, it is from the Commercial Hotel. Wow what a cool old west find. Sub 8-)

I resemble that remark! :tongue3:

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you have this thing figured out. Never thought about Arizona Territory and the Commercial Hotel. Thank you.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to Sub and Whadifind for all the help on identifying this star shaped item. This turned out to be a real piece of Phoenix history. Kudos to you gentlemen.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I resemble that remark! :tongue3:

Sorry Whadi, I did not notice that YOU beat me to it! Great job my friend! There are western memorabilia enthusiasts out there that would JUMP on that fob if it was offered for sale. (I personally would keep it, just too cool!) Sub 8-)

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Awesome AT fob!! I've seen several 1800's hotel fobs that were pretty large, anti-theft Victorian style - lol

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't plan on selling it. I like to keep those cool artifacts in my collection. Way too cool to sell.
Sorry Whadi, I did not notice that YOU beat me to it! Great job my friend! There are western memorabilia enthusiasts out there that would JUMP on that fob if it was offered for sale. (I personally would keep it, just too cool!) Sub 8-)

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hunt!! Those are he kind of hunts I like,. Multiple finds and with some silver. Love that fob, Congrats!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the productive hunt! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread