🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a slow start with detecting this year between work and family obligations as well as uncooperative weather. I have been working on some new permissions and doing research, but it seemed every time I was able to get out, either a site was unavailable or it rained\snowed. For the last month or so, I had a handful of lousy hunts that I didn't post on here and I was beginning to think I used up all my luck ending 2017 with two killer 1812 buttons!

Last Wednesday I was able to capitalize on some nice weather, and get a couple hours in before dark. I officially ended my bad start to 2017, with a complete shoe buckle. :headbang: Shoe buckles are probably my favorite colonial era relic. This is my 3rd complete buckle and they're pretty hard to come across... especially when Ahab8 has dug nearly every complete buckle on the east coast. :laughing7:

Yesterday I got out for about 5 hours at a different site I scouted last winter and I wanted to give it another shot. Last winter I located this site that wasnt on any map, but the finds appeared to be mid to late 1800's. I hadn't worked the iron with the Deus yet, so yesterday I hit it hard and had a ton of fun. I didn't dig anything great, but I had a blast digging lots of targets. I also got a first... it's hard to believe, but I finally dug my first Fatty IHP! I have dug TWO flying eagles, but for some reason, a fat IHP had eluded my coil. A couple LCs also turned up as well as an engraved saddle strap guide, a fired 3 ringer, lots of pewter spoon pieces, and my favorite relic of the day.... a homemade fishing sinker.

IMG_20170212_120723.jpg

This buckle was DEEP, between rocks and under roots and its a miracle I didn't destroy it.

IMG_20170208_191358.jpg

It had a thick patina on it that flaked off when it dried, so I stabilized it with some Elmers.

IMG_20170208_192939.jpg

This is the second complete buckle from this site

IMG_20170210_200856~2.jpg

IMG_20170212_120755.jpg IMG_20170212_120809.jpg
IMG_20170212_120834.jpg IMG_20170212_120855.jpg
IMG_20170212_120747.jpg IMG_20170212_120913.jpg

This fragment is interesting and I'm interested in hearing what people think its from. The site is Colonial to mid 1800's. The metal is pentagon shaped and it has an Applied Silver (thick) coating on the top.

IMG_20170212_120946.jpg

The sides I drew in blue is where its coated in silver.

pentagon.jpg

The coppers are toasted, but the IHP is very solid. The soil at this site is rough on copper, but apparently kind to pewter and nickle (in the IHP)

IMG_20170212_121031.jpg

The iron and trash from Wed and yesterday. A few complete horse shoes and plow blades.

IMG_20170212_114622.jpg
IMG_20170212_114133.jpg IMG_20170212_114138.jpg

Upvote 28
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad Brad Brad.... I thought Abe gets the complete buckles and I get the coppers? Lol.

About the mystery piece 'Ol Rick mentioned. I was thinking nautical dividers myself, but then thought they were, perhaps, a bit small and dainty.

Unfortunately I have the pair like Rick pictures on my ship and not at home, but here's a pair I have at home. View attachment 1414025

Great shoe buckles Brad. Amazing you nailed TWO! I think you stole Ahab's mojo! Anyway bud, I'm so happy you had a killer day hunting. You nailed it brother and it's a dream hunt for any of us. Double buckle and coppers?? Banner all the way bubba.

Haha. Cheers Brad, you are a hardcore hunter and really raise the bar with research, skill, and determination.

Thanks a ton Steve :occasion14: I stole Abe's buckle and your coppers. haha That's two buckles from the same site, but not in the same day. As you know, I dug the smaller one back in Dec there. That was the day I got double state coppers, then you one-upped me with a better complete shoe buckle. haha I just included a picture of both those complete buckles because they came from the same site.

Your picture reminded me of this broken iron compass (or dividers) I dug last fall. Oddly, I found this at the neighbors house of where the complete buckles, state coppers and my new mystery piece came from.

IMG_20170212_210839-2.jpg

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding ANOTHER complete shoe buckle-Abe's got nothin' on you! It's a shape about the patina. That silvered piece is a real head-scratcher-I haven't a clue. Also great job finding two LCs-I have yet to find my first one.

Don't worry-I'm sure 2017 will be another great year for you.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to find a complete Georgian buckle like that Brad. Do you think the Deus is superior in iron?

Thanks a ton man! Everyone has an opinion on what machine is better, so I try not to go there. haha I can say this, the Deus works best for me in 95% of the hunting I do. The Deus found a lot that my T2 missed, however the T2 finds stuff with the 5" coil that the Deus misses. That day I dug the KG and cut 8 was all because I took my T2 along to work thick iron with the tiny coil. The Deus is blazing fast, but as you know, it doesn't matter how fast a machine is, if the target is masked by iron, VLF (or any current) technology will not get it. But I think the Deus handles sniffing out fringe targets in the thick iron better than any other machine I've used. I'm really psyched to get the new High Frequency 9x5 elliptical coil this May when it releases. Those high frequencies will nail those low conductors and should rejuvenate my sites with pewters and what not.

I just pulled out my 3 complete ones for a group shot. Abe's collection puts these to shame though. I do have a few complete frames too, just missing the guts. If you can get on a Georgian house that hasn't been plowed, you stand a good chance.

IMG_20170212_211908.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sure is a great couple of hunts, the buckle is over the top CONGRATS on it and all the other great finds

Thank you art!

Nice bunch of relics there! Congrats on the shoebuckle!

Thanks a ton Westfront!

I'd go with the complete buckle as the star of the hunt.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thanks Bill! It had my smiling stupid for the rest of the day. It was definitely the star for me on that Wednesday hunt.

Very nice

Thanks Cooper1841!

I thought we talked about this Brad!!!! The shoe buckles and spoons are mine and the really cool buttons and awesome iron are yours....cufflinks too. Congrats on one of my all time favorite relics! I love shoe buckles. They are so unique and unlike anything from the present

Hahaha Thanks man. How many complete buckles do you have now? 12? You're overdue for a silver one.... one of these days its going to happen.

Congratulations on some really nice finds.

Thanks a ton man!

Nice to see you back in the iron Brad, complete buckle is a fantastic dig for sure especially given the difficulties pulling it from those roots. Glad to see the honey hole still producing

Thanks man! It was good to get out. I'm psyched to get back to the buckle site when I have some more time. I've only hit it a couple times and I only had a few hours each time. I know I can work some more stuff out of that place.

Amazing buckle! Congrats on saving that history. Thanks for sharing

Thanks danjsargent!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer relic hunt(s)! :notworthy:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is lots and lots of history I don't think I would get much sleep with finds like that. I have a display case for historical finds which is all but empty I think I need to move not that kind of History here in A2 Great job Thanks for always sharing your great finds Tommy!!!!!!!

Thanks Tommy! I am lucky to live in an area rich in history. The Civil War touched every inch of land here, so it's tough not to stumble across those relics.

Brad

That's a fine looking shoe buckle surrounded by lots of other wonderful stuff! :icon_thumleft:

Thank you Wildcat1750!

Love the shoe buckle. Congrats!!!!!!!!

Thank you Mr. Digger!

Wow! Those are some really nice colonial relics! Looks like you had a good relic hunt! :thumbsup: Nice job recovering some awesome history!!!

Thank you VTColonialDigger! It was a ton of fun digging all those targets.

Congrats on finding ANOTHER complete shoe buckle-Abe's got nothin' on you! It's a shape about the patina. That silvered piece is a real head-scratcher-I haven't a clue. Also great job finding two LCs-I have yet to find my first one.

Don't worry-I'm sure 2017 will be another great year for you.

Thanks Glenn! Somehow Abe missed that buckle... even though he's dug most of the complete buckles on the east coast by now, he still misses one here and there. haha That's funny you haven't dug a LC... straight to the KGs! Weird how stuff like that happens, but has to do with the sites we hunt I suppose. That fat IHPs was overdue and I still have never dug a seated coin... however I have a 7 Spanish silvers and a Capped bust half. :dontknow:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jaw Harp piece?

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Helll brad , what a great buckle
And a nice lot of relics always like to read your posts and see your items
Great job hh gl

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Brad. That shoe buckle is sweet!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shoe buckles are my favorite relics to find. The one you dug is a beauty. The fact that its intact is an added bonus.
Congratulations on all of your finds. Looks like you have found a productive site. I look forward to reading your future posts.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jaw Harp piece?

How long have you seen those get in your experience?

Some are very big.

Thanks Cru! Interesting you said that, because that was my very first thought. However, its broken on both ends and not just the curved piece, so it would have been pretty large if thats what it is. I'll probably need to find some more of it to figure out what it really is. Hopefully a return trip turns up some more pieces.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer relic hunt(s)! :notworthy:

Thank you Professor!

Helll brad , what a great buckle
And a nice lot of relics always like to read your posts and see your items
Great job hh gl

Thanks Charlie! I hope you basstards can get out digging soon. :occasion14: Steve said there was a few inches of snow left up your way, so hopefully it melts soon for you guys. Thanks for the nice comment and compliment. Looking forward to your next post man.

Congrats Brad. That shoe buckle is sweet!

Thanks man! I love even digging fragments of buckle frames. They always seem to have totally different designs.

Shoe buckles are my favorite relics to find. The one you dug is a beauty. The fact that its intact is an added bonus.
Congratulations on all of your finds. Looks like you have found a productive site. I look forward to reading your future posts.

Thanks Silvermonkey! I'll be sure to share on here what else comes from these sites... especially the shoe buckle spot.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Brad. Looks like you'll be able to get a lot more digs out of that spot.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure do pull some great finds :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: i am hoping to dig a complete shoe buckle when I hunt back East in the spring. My biggest fear is I will damage it when I use the shovel to dig the plug.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt Brad. Looks like you'll be able to get a lot more digs out of that spot.

Thanks Steve! I am excited to get back to that spot and hit it again. Hopefully when I have a bit more time to really hunt.

You sure do pull some great finds :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: i am hoping to dig a complete shoe buckle when I hunt back East in the spring. My biggest fear is I will damage it when I use the shovel to dig the plug.

Thanks a ton man! I certainly hope you get your coil over one this spring. As for hitting stuff, some of the items I hit with my digger that hurt the most have been, 1784 2 Reales, 1722 cut pistareen, US Box Plate and a US Bit Boss. It happens, no matter how careful we are... but its always bitter sweet holding a relic you just put a mark on. haha

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great hunt brad! Love the shoe buckle, still waiting on a large complete buckle myself. Your mystery item looks like half an early Jews harp to me. Good luck with that site, hopefully some killer silver turns up.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One heck of a pile of early stuff! I've yet to dig a complete shoe buckle, all I get is bits and pieces. Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread